@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Discuss.

Cycloptichorn

Why?
0 Replies

Ceili

Fri 27 Jan, 2012 12:05 am
I really like this. Finally, no skimming through endless pages. All the good ideas on one page. Thanks for sharing this.
tsarstepan

Fri 27 Jan, 2012 05:14 am
@Ceili,
Explicate in that please.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Fri 27 Jan, 2012 07:05 am
@Cycloptichorn,
too girly for my taste

edit:

actually, not too girly - too precious

a number of acquaintances have pinterest pages - when I go in and look, and then look at other pages, the whole effect is precious and twee
djjd62

Fri 27 Jan, 2012 07:13 am
@ehBeth,
agreed, my first impression (just now looked at it for the first time) was there was nothing of interest in the top popular items

the top popular items were, wedding cakes, exercise balls, some inspirational poster and an out of focus baby pic labelled love
ehBeth

Fri 27 Jan, 2012 07:16 am
@djjd62,
the same group of acquaintances that does pinterest is very much of the Portlandia mindset - birds all over their FB pages and pinterest (beds designed to look like forests - lots of over-ornamentation) - I think I'm a guy
0 Replies

parados

Fri 27 Jan, 2012 08:35 am
@Cycloptichorn,
I was hoping it would be Pinteresque.

At least long pauses where nothing happens have more meaning.
sozobe

Fri 27 Jan, 2012 08:40 am
@ehBeth,
Yes, I know what you mean.

I just asked for input about this on Facebook a bit ago: "Facebook I get. Twitter I get (though I don't use it). Google + I get (though it's a wasteland these days). Pinterest I don't get at all."

People explained, I kind of got it, but I still can't seem to really use it the way it's intended.

I'm doing an overhaul of my desk area and it was useful as an actual pinboard -- that is, putting various things together and seeing how they looked.

But then I kept adding photos of my own actual things that would be included, rather than pinning from elsewhere, and it kept getting further from what Pinterest is supposed to be I think.
DrewDad

Fri 27 Jan, 2012 08:47 am
@sozobe,
I think that like a lot of websites, it's either useful to you or it isn't.

T uses it on a regular basis. It helps her keep track of all kinds of things.

I've never had much use for it.

http://media-cdn.pinterest.com/upload/633387417098242_OR4h4iuI_c.jpg
sozobe

Fri 27 Jan, 2012 08:54 am
@DrewDad,
I've started a recipe board (the kale chips went there) and a political board (graphs and such that would be useful and I often have a hard time finding back).

So far just one pin on each.

But might become more useful.

Edit, just saw the added image, heh! I like her (the cartoonist, forget her name).
0 Replies

Irishk

Fri 27 Jan, 2012 08:55 am
@djjd62,
Omg, you don't want to learn how to bake heart-shaped filling into your cupcakes for V'day???

I especially loved this new-to-me kitchen idea which I'm stealing if we ever build our dream house! A feeding station for our dog(s)!! Verra cool.

http://media-cdn.pinterest.com/upload/268808671478471025_zh85o2Nb_c.jpg
0 Replies

sozobe

Fri 27 Jan, 2012 09:25 am
A thought I had -- what do you guys think.

Someone responding to my Facebook post was talking about how the board becomes your "art."

I think that's part of the appeal -- creating without actually creating.

Instead of making something, taking a picture of it, and posting it, you post a picture of something someone else made -- but you like it!

It ends up looking like your dream Etsy page, if only you had time/ inclination/ talent.

(That's for the infinite crafy things, I get the straight organization part better.)
Cycloptichorn

Fri 27 Jan, 2012 09:27 am
@sozobe,
I definitely rounded out my superbowl menu in about ten minutes of looking at the site.

The key to Pinterest is that it organizes data according to an analog set of criteria.

Cycloptichorn
ossobuco

Fri 27 Jan, 2012 09:31 am
@parados,
Me too.
0 Replies

sozobe

Sun 29 Jan, 2012 06:21 pm
Figured something out:

I filled out the algorithm-y stuff at the very beginning, but then a bunch of my friends found me and followed me, and I followed them back, and most of what I see is my friends' stuff.

I like my friends a lot (hence the whole friend thing) but we don't all have the same taste, especially across the board. (As in, I might think a given recipe looks fab and hate the "ideal living room" that they've pinned.)

So while the algorithms might work great, I've thrown them off by following all of these friends.

I can see how getting Super Bowl recipe ideas, though, for example, would work well.

I've been using it more and there are enough good ideas that float by that overall I'm more positive about it.
mismi

Thu 2 Feb, 2012 05:19 pm
@sozobe,
Super Bowl recipes and crafts with kids and lunch for kids ideas and back porch ideas - DIY stuff out of the wazoo...it is an overload of delectable information and I am beyond overwhelmed.

So love it. Great big fun.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Tue 28 Feb, 2012 12:15 pm
http://dailydish.typepad.com/.a/6a00d83451c45669e2016763137772970b-550wi

Cycloptichorn
JosephObrien

Wed 18 Apr, 2012 02:12 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Pinterest is the great platform to share your video, picture with your friend and also great medium to share information of business...

Thanks
0 Replies

jespah

Wed 18 Apr, 2012 06:43 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Huh. I suspect that will even out over time.

Currently I see people following me pretty quickly and I do not have a lot of stuff out there yet. 'Sweird.
0 Replies