Police arrest Utah students in school bomb plot

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2012 08:27 pm
(Reuters) - Police in Utah have arrested two high school students accused of making detailed plans to bomb a school assembly and then escape in a plane they planned to fly themselves, police said on Thursday.

The duo, 18-year-old Dallin Morgan and 16-year-old Joshua Hoggan, were arrested on Wednesday after being pulled out of classes at their high school in the city of Roy, about 30 miles north of Salt Lake City, Roy Police spokeswoman Anna Bond said.

"Initial investigative discovery has uncovered a plan to use explosives during a high school assembly," Bond said in a statement.

"Maps of the school and information about security systems had been prepared with plans for an escape using a plane from the Ogden Hinckley Airport," she added. "Self-taught usage of technical flight simulation programs were used in the planning and preparation."

MORE:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/01/27/us-student-plot-utah-idUSTRE80Q05H20120127

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 2,399 • Replies: 5
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2012 05:18 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Oh good grief.

You know, it's news all right, but I do worry about the publicity these people get. I think it really spurs on copycats.

I really wonder if such incidents, whether prevented or unfortunately carried through with should be given minimum notoriety.
Setanta

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2012 05:25 am
Yeah, but you know better. News media are in the business of selling lurid stories . . . the lurider the betterer. You can't muzzle the press in silly things without risking the loss of press freedom in things which really matter. This is just the kind of thing that people like ot "tut tut" over.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2012 06:52 am
@dlowan,
I had the exact same thought before I saw your post.

We know news organizations have the ability to do this, with sexual abuse victims for example.

I do think the idea of having their faces plastered everywhere and a nation wondering why is a big part of the motivation for these people.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2012 07:28 am
There is something which can be done, though. In Canada, you can't mention their names or show any images of them if they are under the age of 18. That stricture continues to apply even if they pass their eighteenth birthday during the course of hearings and trials. They can only be named it, at the time of sentencing, they are adult, and are sentenced as adults.
dlowan

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2012 08:53 am
@Setanta,
Ditto Oz.
0 Replies