Swedish food and their drinks

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 10:20 am
Seems I got a wrong turn in the thread "If your pet was a person...", and would like to continue it here!

A lot of swedish food is best enjoyed with an icecold brew, like the famous Janzon's temptation. My mom used to serve a light Resling with it though, whereas I would rather have a distinctive one, for instance Vernaccia di San Gimignano. Anyway something with powerful taste. Because of the onions in this dish it's actually a very wine-friendly meal!

The meatballs are a perfect beer meal, has to be a bitter beer, though, to accompany the sweetness of the lingonberry jam that is mandatory! The side order, or what you call it, is always plain cooked potatoes and a rich brown cream sauce.

This post is also valid as a coupon, should you show up at my door! Drunk
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 7,214 • Replies: 27
No top replies

ul

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 11:10 am
Asking an expert- what is the traditional non alcoholic beverage with a Julbord?

a.) Julzider
b.) Julmust
c.) Julöl

Could win a trip to Paris!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 11:19 am
Julmaester?
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 12:34 pm
BigDice

I think you're right - the trick is in the anchovies. The anchovies here are those little Italian ones.

Ikea doesn't stock foods in the antipodes. Although there are a squillion backpacking Swedes (approx.!) here every year, there are very few resident ones- so things Swedish are hard to come by.

One of the local supermarkets used to have some things from Scandinavian countries- not sure why. Occasionally I can buy some of that smoke salmon paste thingy, that comes in a pink tube, which I love. There's another sort in a green tube, contains fennel, I think, but yeccch!
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 02:36 pm
Ul, that's gotta be julmust. I spent last Christmas in Sweden. However, my favorite Swedish Christmas dring is gloegg with raisins and almonds. And I will have that tonight! Very Happy Just bought a bottle at IKEA...
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 02:36 pm
Oops, looks like I already had some gloegg. No!! I know it's DRINK!
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 02:38 pm
Margo, yes - you got to have these anchovies. I love Kalle's caviar paste that comes in tubes. You can use that for Janson's temptation also - but it's not quite as good as with anchovies.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 02:45 pm
"Nu tändas tusen juleljus"!
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 02:46 pm
Help! Where is bigdice, my interpreter?
0 Replies

ul

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 02:50 pm
Tack så mycket!

And enjoy your gloegg!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 02:51 pm
:wink:
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 03:26 pm
zsooooooo, what's the right beverage to have with roast goose, red cabbage with apples, and potato dumplings?
0 Replies

ul

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 03:37 pm
red wine!
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 04:45 am
And it should be something Californian, or, also good, a Cabernet sauvignon from Chile or South Africa!

Hey, Walter, from where do you know this beautiful swedish Christmas carrol(sp?), problem is, I can't sing it.... not because it's too high, I can't sing!!!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 06:09 am
bigdice

From an Swedish old Abuzz friend, now here on A2K as well, who even lives rather close to me.
:wink:
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 06:56 am
And what would this swede's nick be?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 12:38 pm
Kajsa - I invited her recently.
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 12:40 pm
They have glögg in Ikea?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 12:48 pm
At least here in Germany, hebba. (And since they are selling the identical stuff worldwide, I consider, you get it elsewhere, too.)
0 Replies

margo

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 12:51 pm
Ain't nuthin' as decadent as glögg at Ikea in Australia.
0 Replies