jcboy

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 07:49 pm
I have learned a lot living with an RN. Marco told me he knows of hundreds of patients with high cholestereol that were tired of taking different statin medications because of some of the side effects. They switched to Red Yeast Rice and within 30 days their cholesterol levels were normal.

Was curious if any of you have heard this and taken this product. Did it work for you? I work with a lady who currently takes Lipitor. I was thinking of telling her about this red yeast rice. I heard they sell if in most drug stores.

ossobuco

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 08:00 pm
@jcboy,
No, I haven't heard of it, interested. But, me, my fat of choice is olive oil, a monosaturate, and for many years, decades even, my HDls (the good ones) have easily vanquished LDls (baddies). I don't eat many saturated fats, though I think they are relatively ok versus any hydrogenated fats and when I do eat them I enjoy them.

On the red yeast rice thing, my instinct is to say, give me a break, but of course I don't know. Does Marco know that from a study? If so, you should wait for the writeup to come out before publicizing.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 08:03 pm
@ossobuco,
it apparently works

http://www.medicinenet.com/red_yeast_rice_and_cholesterol/article.htm

Quote:
What is the present status of red yeast rice?

Small scale studies using pharmaceutical-grade red rice yeast have continued to demonstrate efficacy and safety. However, in the United States it is no longer legal to sell supplements of red yeast rice that contain more than trace amounts of cholesterol lowering substances. For example, the active ingredients of red rice yeast have been removed from Cholestin marketed in the United States. (Hypocol, another product containing red yeast rice is no longer being sold in the United States.)

The reasons the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has ruled that it is illegal to sell red yeast rice that contains more than trace amounts of the cholesterol-lowering substances and to promote red yeast rice for lowering cholesterol levels.

First, statin drugs are associated with muscle and kidney injury when used alone or combined with other medications. There is concern that patients who already take statin drugs with or without these other medications may increase their risk of muscle or kidney injury.

Second, the FDA considers the products containing red yeast rice with high levels of cholesterol lowering substances to be new, unapproved drugs for which marketing violates the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 08:07 pm
@ossobuco,
If you were interested, you could have looked it up.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/red-yeast-rice/NS_patient-redyeast

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/925.html

quite a few studies out there

http://sciencebasedpharmacy.wordpress.com/2009/08/06/red-yeast-rice/

and on and on

http://www.webmd.com/cholesterol-management/red-yeast-rice
jcboy

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 08:08 pm
@ossobuco,
He said not from a study, just from what patients have told their doctors, so many claimed they stopped their statins and started taking that instead, their cholestrol levels were normal. I never really believed in natural stuff like that either always thought it was just a way of someone making money, but patients claimed that’s all they did take was red yeast rice. He said he’s heard it from at least over a hundred different people over the last couple years.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/red-yeast-rice/NS_patient-redyeast
ossobuco

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 08:47 pm
@ehBeth,
huh? snark? I'm cooking shrimp as we talk.

I did just look it up, your first link, still interested. I said what my instinct was, and I said I don't know. What more do you want?

quote - If you were interested, you could have looked it up.

Pfui. I will likely do that since, as I said, I'm interested. Are you being hall monitor? Shall I not eat dinner?

ehBeth

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 08:49 pm
@ossobuco,
I think I am quite interested in hall monitoring.

I may just take it up.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 08:49 pm
@jcboy,
Thanks, jcboy.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 08:50 pm
@ossobuco,
this

ossobuco wrote:
Does Marco know that from a study? If so, you should wait for the writeup to come out before publicizing.

tone

~~~

was

not

required

you had to ask
ossobuco

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 08:51 pm
@ehBeth,
Added the "shall I not eat dinner", admittedly snarky back to you.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 08:53 pm
@ehBeth,
I'm confused again...

which one of you is the hall monitor now?
ehBeth

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 08:56 pm
@Rockhead,
hehehe

Laughing

I'd like to give it a go. It's a bit of a busy weekend, so I'll only be able to test it out intermittently.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 08:59 pm
@ehBeth,
My tone is being monitored? Marco may be aware of ongoing studies. I asked if that was so.

I worked in an environment where many studies were ongoing and people would not have liked ongoing results publicized. That is the basis of my tone.

I respect Marco. My question was reasonable.
farmerman

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 09:21 pm
@ossobuco,
I like rice pudding, or jambalaya. Does red yeast rice come off all "healthy" tasting? I hate anything healthy tasting like unsugared stone ground oatmeal. I might as well eat the bag it came in.

WE CANT BE AFRAID OF OUR FOOD!!

I would take that red rice and make a risi a bisi with extra bacon and eat till I had enuff.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 09:28 pm
@farmerman,
Yeah, me too, but I take it red rice and red yeast are different, not that I know that, but of course I haven't looked that up yet.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 09:32 pm
@farmerman,
I initially wrote "rice pussing" OOOPs. I should watch when I try to type with my left hand.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 09:34 pm
@farmerman,
That was serendipitous.
0 Replies

MMarciano

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2012 10:04 am
Of course we would never recommend anyone using it but I have heard it works form many people. I remember one man whose cholesterol levels were always off the chart, then he came in a week after his blood work and all levels were normal. Claimed all he took was red yeast rice.
MMarciano

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2012 01:39 pm
@MMarciano,

Quote:
Red yeast rice is a popular cholesterol lowering dietary supplement that contains very low levels of statin-like substances. Statins are the main drugs used today to lower cholesterol. They have been shown to significantly reduce the risk of heart...

http://www.doctoroz.com/search?q1=red+yeast+rice
0 Replies