What exactly is American food?

Setanta

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2012 07:26 pm
@Butrflynet,
We filled several of them. I'm just over six feet tall, and so was he--he had designed to pond for the purpose. We pulled a seine between us, and it was no deeper than four feet in the center, so we could walk around the edges and harvest the entire pond. It was muddy as hell, though. I don't belive i've ever seen crawdads in clear water.
Butrflynet

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2012 07:30 pm
@Setanta,
The name Clear Lake is a misnomer to fake out the tourists. That lake is full of green algae for most of the year. At the end of summer, it stunk like a very old fish tank. Early summer, you just swam under the surface and made sure to kick up a froth of water around you before getting out on the dock to keep from looking like the creature from the green lagoon when you emerged.
Butrflynet

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2012 07:33 pm
@Butrflynet,
Clear Lake in full algae bloom:

http://www.aslo.org/photopost/data/502/medium/8Clear_Lake_Aphanizomenon_bloom-lake.jpg

http://catfished.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=3971.0;attach=2399;image
Setanta

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2012 07:35 pm
Looks like good mud bug water.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2012 07:37 pm
@Butrflynet,
Yup. Looks about right. Crawdads love mirey, muddy, messy places.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2012 07:41 pm
@Butrflynet,
Pretty area, I don't know it well, have driven through a bunch of times. Good description re trying to not be the creature from the (was it black or green?) lagoon.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2012 07:48 pm
@Joe Nation,
Sloppy Joes

Chili

Chili mac

Mac and Cheese

Peanut Butter and Jelly Sammich

Hot Dog and beans

Beef Stew

Chicken Pot Pie

Casserole (pick one ...beef...)

Fish Chowder
Ceili

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2012 07:55 pm
Last summer, we camped on Upper Campbell Lake on Vancouver Island. They damned the Campbell river in 1911, making it the oldest provincial park in B.C. The lake bottom is covered in many areas with the 100 year old stumps of cypress trees. It's a beautiful chrystal clear lake.
I saw the kids playing with an odd little creature and went to investigate. They were playing with Crawfish. Up until that moment in time, I had no idea they existed in Canada. I only ever seen them frozen or cooked...
We used Shrimp baskets to catch them, and had a mess of them one night. Delish!
Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2012 08:21 pm
@Ceili,
I'm just surprised that they damned the river. What had it done to deserve the curse? Laughing
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2012 10:31 am
bookmarking
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2012 11:11 am
Hmm ..... Frito Pie.... my kids got fed that about three times a month, mostly because we were late for soccer practice. I gave them choices:
One Way ~ Just chili over the chips.
Two Way ~ Chili and Monterey Jack Cheese over the Chips.
Three Way ~ add Chopped, Raw White Onions
Four Way ~ You get your onions, chips, chili and you add guacamole.
Five Way ~ Okay, it's the Fritos, Cheese, Onions, guac AND salsa.

No beans.
Chili ain't got no beans.
It was hard to believe, but those two would wolf down a bowl of Five Way and a big Ice Tea, race out the door to the school field (we lived next door) and practice for an hour and half.

Joe(both still have cast iron digestive systems)Nation

PS : I forgot. I was going to tell about how my dad's buddies would use old window screens to catch crawfish**. Stand in the pond water up to your hips, skooch that screen up under the bank and, when you draw it out, get ready to hold it against your belly with one hand and nab four to six crawfish as they scattered for the edges. In the bait bucket floating beside you they go. Repeat.

Watch out for snapping turtles. **crawdads, craydads, crayfish, mud bugs ~~`hehe heh.
Ragman

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2012 12:19 pm
@Joe Nation,
and how about water moccasins? (for avoiding..not eating!)
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2012 12:54 pm
@Ragman,
I'd add tuna salad on Wonder Bread to your list.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2012 05:05 pm
I asked my co-worker if, after trying different American food, we could go into Manhattan some Sunday for Dim Sum.
"What's that?" he said.
I explained.
(I used to have a couple of friends who would accompany this poor non-Chinese speaker into the depths of Chinatown for a feast.)
"Yes, I have heard of that, but I've never tried it."

China is a big country.....

Joe(with lots of different foods)Nation
dlowan

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2012 01:49 am
@Joe Nation,
We call it yum cha. My favourite!
Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2012 06:02 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

We call it yum cha. My favourite!

<suspiciously, with eyes narrowed>

Who's "we"?
dlowan

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2012 05:52 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Australia.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2012 06:09 am
@Joe Nation,
If you didn't want to get in the water, you just tied a hunk of raw liver on the end of a piece, and dangled it into the bank. Crawdads* would latch onto it and wouldn't let go till you twitched your line over the bucket.

*The other word for crawdad is BAIT
Joe Nation

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 10:42 am
@roger,
Yeah, I always thought crayfish were BAIT as well until I got to SouthEast Texas and kept finding them in half the food they ate there. I didn't know okra existed either and I finally learned how to make rice that tasted better than wallpaper paste.
Joe(bunch better)Nation
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 10:50 am
So tell me, Joe, what was Chicago like? Did you try the deep-dish quiche they mislabel as a pizza there?
0 Replies