What exactly is American food?

Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 02:37 pm
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet, you stop that right this instant!!! I've still got a good two hours to go til lunch. Don't know if I can make it.
Butrflynet

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 02:43 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Should we add poi to the list of American food?

Do you eat much of it?

I loved the way my ex-husband (Hawaiian native) made it. He added coconut milk and honey to the shredded steamed taro root and then mashed it all together.

farmerman

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 02:45 pm
@Butrflynet,
If you add some lime to poi it makes a great bottom patch for any leaks below the waterline
Butrflynet

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 02:46 pm
@farmerman,
Don't they have incontinence panties for that? :::flee!:::
Ceili

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 02:50 pm
I can`t believe farmer forgot that stuff they eat `round his neck`o` the woods.. Spackle or something.
I tried to find it on my latest trip through the US, but nobody would admit to knowing what it was..
farmerman

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 02:51 pm
@Butrflynet,
yuck yuck, boomiie jokes. Weve gone as far as we can .

**** ON A SHINGLE -thats merkin
Butrflynet

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 02:52 pm
@Ceili,
Spaetzel?

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 02:53 pm
@farmerman,
Good one. I forgot all about that one.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 02:54 pm
@Butrflynet,
Some things that I've never heard of are on that list... oh, good, some food reading coming right up!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 02:55 pm
@Ceili,
You better not be dispariigin SCRAPPLE. That is the food of the gods (were there any gods), so we gets to eat it all

Crisply its fried, abpout 1/8 " of very crispy crust and within , the moist mix of the pork plotlings and cornmenal mush and the secret spices.

All served up on a plate with two fried eggs, and slavered the scrapple with MOLASSES (not maple syrup)
Ceili

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 02:56 pm
@Butrflynet,
No, it's spam like. Pork by-products and the like...
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 02:56 pm
@farmerman,
There we go... no disparagement here..lol
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 03:00 pm
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:

Big HVAC show on Michigan Ave. (That's my career now~~ centrifugal and axial fans, blowers and duct fans. SUper exciting Cool )

Arrive Monday AM......fly out Tuesday at five PM

Joe(Where yat? Drunk )Nation

Sounds like a busy schedule. Any time available to meet with the Chicago contingent?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 03:01 pm
@farmerman,
mmmmm scrapple

Quote:
Scrapple is arguably the first pork food invented in America. The roots of the culinary traditions that led to the development of scrapple in America have been traced back to pre-Roman Europe.[9] The more immediate culinary ancestor of scrapple was the Low German dish called panhas, which was adapted to make use of locally available ingredients, and it is still called "Pannhaas," "panhoss," or "pannhas" in parts of Pennsylvania.[10] The first recipes were created by Dutch colonists who settled near Philadelphia and Chester County, Pennsylvania in the 17th and 18th centuries.[11] As a result, scrapple is strongly associated with rural areas surrounding Philadelphia, Baltimore, Washington D.C. and surrounding eastern Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Maryland, Delaware and the Delmarva Peninsula. Its popularity on the Delmarva Peninsula is celebrated annually during the "Apple-Scrapple Festival" in Bridgeville, Delaware.

In composition, preparation, and taste, scrapple is similar to the white pudding popular in Ireland, Scotland and parts of England and the spicier Hog's pudding of the West Country of England.

wikipedia

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panhas
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 03:03 pm
Set:
Great joke and a great story.

Who here has tried Peanuts poured into your bottle of Dr. Pepper?

Joe(That's West Texas and thereabouts)Nation
Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 03:07 pm
@Butrflynet,
Embarrassed I hate to admitit, but I am not particularly fond of poi Embarrassed

Spam, now, Spam is 'Murricun and I like Spam.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 03:08 pm
@Ceili,
Quote:
I can`t believe farmer forgot that stuff they eat `round his neck`o` the woods.. Spackle or something.

Spackle ! ! ! OMG . . . i'm cryin' here . . . help me ! ! !
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 03:12 pm
@Joe Nation,
as a pure scientific investigation, the "Mythbusters" poured Mentos candies into freshly opened liter bottles of ginger ale. They measured the heighth of the soda column as almost 30 feet.
Joe Nation

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 03:24 pm
@farmerman,
What can be done with ginger ale?

The only kind of soft drink that's impossible to make into a decent cocktail.

Vodka and Ginger Ale?? ppttppooey
Whiskey and Ginger Ale? meh.
Rum and Ginger Ale? pffft.
Scotch and Ginger ale??? If I was religious that would be sacrilegious.
Champagne and Ginger Ale would be Sec-religious.

Joe(<ducks>You Brut!)Nation
farmerman

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 03:32 pm
@Joe Nation,
we cook brocolli raab in a mix of ginger beer and chicken broth
0 Replies