Regression analysis: redundant dependent variable

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 08:29 am
I have a question regarding a survey i am making in school. Im running a regression and my dependent variable Y is redundant. meaning that people have answered a question about how many cups of coffee, out of the last 5 bought, they have bought from machine 1 and machine 2. They can then answer machine 1, 2 cups and machine 2, 3 cups. the sum will always be 5. So if im running a regression on with machine 1 as the dependent variable. how will this effect the regression? anyone? So the question is how do you treat a redundant dependent variable?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 7,345 • Replies: 2
No top replies

JPB

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 09:29 am
I'm not sure you want a regression analysis here. What is your independent variable? Or, in other words, what are you regressing the machine choice against? If the number of cups always equals five you can turn each response into a proportion for machine one (0.0, 0.2, 0.4, 0.6, 0.8, 1.0) and analyse the proportions. What is your hypothesis?
muggajoe

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2012 05:20 am
@JPB,
Thanks for your answer, here is additional info
H1: Students at the school have preferences towards the coffee from Caféen or Coffee Machines influenced by different factors .

The students have asked to evaluate how much they value the independent variables for the coffee machines and the cafee coffee (manual served coffee) on a 7 point scale. 1=strongly dissagree and = 7 strongly agree

First regression line
the dependent variable is Number of cups bought at cafeen=service+location+price+que+taste

seccond regression line
the dependent variable is numbers of cups bought at the machines=service+location+location+taste+que
then they have been asked: out of the last 5 cups bought, how many was bought at the machines and how many at the cafee.

the sum should equal five cups, meaning that the dependent variable becomes redundant?

0 Replies