10 Reasons Why the U.S. is No Longer the Land of the Free

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 12:17 am
According to Jonathan Turley, the Shapiro professor of public interest law at George Washington University

Assassination of U.S. citizens
Indefinite detention
Arbitrary justice
Warrantless searches
Secret evidence
War crimes
Secret court
Immunity from judicial review
Continual monitoring of citizens
Extraordinary renditions

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/is-the-united-states-still-the-land-of-the-free/2012/01/04/gIQAvcD1wP_story_2.html

I claim that Writing purposefully vague laws as intended tools for abusive DA's to club citizens with should have certainly made the list...it should replace "war crimes" , which normally does not impact the freedom of Americans.

Discuss

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 04:51 am
@hawkeye10,
Rather than comment on why we supposedly are no longer “the Home of the Free”, I’d rather offer one reason why I think America is still “the Home of the Free”:

Because every indication is that we Americans can still speak our minds…even about our government; our leaders; and governmental initiatives…with more impunity than any group of people ever have in the history of the Earth.

That is compelling for me. How about you?
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 10:29 am
@Frank Apisa,
The residents of Super-Max can say what ever they want, but they are certainly not free. And we are not free to speak in this PC culture, the fact that the government does not have a law against me speaking freely does in any way rub out the fact that I am not allowed to speak freely by this collective. If I insist upon saying what is not approved for speech I am charged.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 10:47 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
And we are not free to speak in this PC culture, the fact that the government does not have a law against me speaking freely does in any way rub out the fact that I am not allowed to speak freely by this collective.

Not sure what you mean by "collective" in this context, Hawkeye, but as for speaking freely...isn't that exactly what you are doing right here?

Speaking your mind.
Questioner

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 10:55 am
@hawkeye10,
Just because most people disagree with what you say doesn't mean you're not free to say it. The 'collective' is just as free to ignore the hell out of you as you are to drone on about jackshit topics like this.
Setanta

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 11:01 am
@Frank Apisa,
This clown has sung that idiot tune since he first got here. He posts utter bullshit, and then complains that the chimerical "collective" won't let him post his bullshit.

EDIT: He's charged with what? What a loon. Free speech doesn't mean that one is entitled to respect for what one has said.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 12:16 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

This clown has sung that idiot tune since he first got here. He posts utter bullshit, and then complains that the chimerical "collective" won't let him post his bullshit.

EDIT: He's charged with what? What a loon. Free speech doesn't mean that one is entitled to respect for what one has said.

Have you noticed that there is now a professor of law at GWU who agrees with me?
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 12:19 pm
@Questioner,
Questioner wrote:

Just because most people disagree with what you say doesn't mean you're not free to say it. The 'collective' is just as free to ignore the hell out of you as you are to drone on about jackshit topics like this.

There is world a difference between ignoring speech, trying to stop speech that is not wanted, and demanding sanctions for speech that is not wanted. Ignoring is fine, the other two are an invasion of my space.
DrewDad

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 01:01 pm
@hawkeye10,
I'd say that you agree with the law professor, not the other way around.

I doubt the professor has ever heard of you or your opinions.

Even if your views match in some instances, it's hardly an endorsement of your "ideas."
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 02:51 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

I'd say that you agree with the law professor, not the other way around.

I doubt the professor has ever heard of you or your opinions.

Even if your views match in some instances, it's hardly an endorsement of your "ideas."

You are showing your bias.....our views are largly in agreement, we mutually agree. There is no need for us to know of each other in order to agree, though in this case I hapen to know of him
DrewDad

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 04:47 pm
@hawkeye10,
Two functions can be congruent in places without the two functions being equal.

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 05:42 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

Two functions can be congruent in places without the two functions being equal.

Using that logic we could never say that two or more people agree on anything, as people are never identical in their opinions and beliefs. You are here being your typical for you dickish self.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2012 11:18 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
There is world a difference between ignoring speech, trying to stop speech that is not wanted, and demanding sanctions for speech that is not wanted. Ignoring is fine, the other two are an invasion of my space.

You are such a ******* bullshit artist. Who here has ever tried to stop your speech? Who here has ever demanded sanctions against you for your speech? You are a total, whiny drama queen. Grow up.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2012 01:55 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

hawkeye10 wrote:

You are such a ******* bullshit artist. Who here has ever tried to stop your speech? Who here has ever demanded sanctions against you for your speech? You are a total, whiny drama queen. Grow up.

Isn't that just like you to assume that I am meaning my speaking rights only.....I am also meaning my listening rights and everyone elses speaking rights. Every act of shouting a speaker down or penalizing a speaker for speaking is an offense against me.
Setanta

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2012 02:36 pm
@hawkeye10,
Bullshit. No one can "shout you down" here. They can ignore you, but free speech does not guarantee that you will be listened to or taken seriously. Who here intefers with your "listening" rights? Somebody prevents you from reading the posts here? You're just making **** up.

Bullshit artist. Whiny little drama queen.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2012 03:26 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
Isn't that just like you to assume that I am meaning my speaking rights only.....I am also meaning my listening rights and everyone elses speaking rights.

So send money to the ACLU and the EFF. Or go donate your time to them.

I guess that's too easy, and you prefer the difficult task of whining anonymously online.
0 Replies