Reply Mon 16 Sep, 2013 04:41 pm
@BillRM,
You get amazed pretty easily.
BillRM

Reply Mon 16 Sep, 2013 04:53 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
You get amazed pretty easily.

Not realty as there could be no way for example that the cruise ship industry could pay the wage scales that a US flag vessel would call for and not go belly up in a year or so.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 16 Sep, 2013 05:23 pm
just as a clue as to how much these people are spending like drunken sailors the claim is that 800 million has been spent to date, and that 500 people have done something on the project. if all of that money went for people as apposed to most (the reality is that brain and muscle power is mostly what this job requires) then that works out to $1.6 million per person. even the US military would be hard pressed to match these guys.
parados

Reply Mon 16 Sep, 2013 05:37 pm
@hawkeye10,
yeah... because 500 guys are going to push the ship upright. It takes a lot of money to get those people from carnivals and county fairs to the location. And then they have to feed them to keep their strength up.

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 16 Sep, 2013 06:32 pm
@parados,
I feel a deep desire to scream at the alleged journalists.I have read 3 aaccounts of the 500 number, one version is 500 individuals have worked on the project cumulatively, one has it 500 employees on scene constantly, another 500 engineers on scene. re the $800 million one version has that spent to date, another has it this is the expected total finished project cost. do these people have any clue what a fact is, or care what a fact is, ir do they rather all pretend that they are writing Hollywood scripts?
ossobuco

Reply Mon 16 Sep, 2013 06:42 pm
I'm no big fan of cruise lines though I had a friend who worked her way up at Princess. I'm even less a fan of the fatty ships going into Venice.
This whole thing seems ready to happen, to me.

Alas, all the woe is that the ship messed up and hit a reef, when it should be about those ships.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Mon 16 Sep, 2013 08:03 pm
@hawkeye10,
Hawkeye the more you know about a subject that the papers are reporting on the more you know what a damn bad job they do on any complex subject.

The headlines that for example all the ciphers that the internet depend on for security had been broken by the NSA is sheer nonsense but you would need to have an understanding of the subject to know that.

This salvage job is likely the same kind of situation.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 16 Sep, 2013 08:19 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
Hawkeye the more you know about a subject that the papers are reporting on the more you know what a damn bad job they do on any complex subject.
I am at the point now that I am again willing to pay for journalism product. not sure who to pay though, who still employs intelligent people and is willing to pay them? I am using foreign product like BBC, the Economist and German DW a lot more than American products now . Slate is still pretty good though.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 16 Sep, 2013 11:00 pm
@hawkeye10,
BBC is reporting that the ship is up and sitting on a platform.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 16 Sep, 2013 11:24 pm
@BillRM,
Yes, might be amazing. But still many (if not most) European cruise ships are registered in their real home countries.
Costa and AIDA ships are registered in Italy, "Royal Clipper" is registered in Luxembourg (sic!), America Lines sail under USA-flag, ...
But there are quite a few under flags of convenience countries as well.

Ohh. When you look at the pics of the ship here on the thread or elsewhere, Bill, you can easily read the port of registration: Genua.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 11 Nov, 2013 06:12 am
Unique operation: Float-on and transport of the Costa Concordia onboard the Dockwise Vanguard

0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2014 01:25 am
Ya it has taken 2 years and $2 billion, but the wreck is floating and is about to be towed away for scrapping. What a marvelous engineering success story! I think it is stupid to spend so much, they could have cut it up on the spot and been done a year ago for less than half the money, but politically this was not going to work because of the toxic contents of the ship that would have leaked into the environment.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2014 01:58 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
but politically this was not going to work because of the toxic contents of the ship that would have leaked into the environment.

Politically and environmentally surely. Poisoning a coastline, destroying marine wildlife and businesses also has a financial cost.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2014 02:12 am
@izzythepush,
Only a small section of the coast surely, they could have built containment systems.

Thing is they did not know if the $2 billion was going to solve the problem, the ship is now very weak, and cracked in many places. They hoped that they could raise it without breaking it open. They did. Now we see if they can tow it without breaking it.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2014 02:29 am
@hawkeye10,
It's a lot easier to not let a leak happen in the first place than try to contain it. If your restaurant was on that small section of coast, you may think differently.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2014 03:34 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
they could have cut it up on the spot and been done a year ago for less than half the money,
probably not. They would have had to build "cribs" to keep it stable, so nobody would be killed when it rolled if they did it in water and the cribs would have had to be monitored to prevent leakage.
These guys do it for a living , they probably understand the requirement better than we.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2014 01:43 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth - My Tags - oralloylies
http://able2know.org/user/ehbeth/tags/oralloylies/

Ahem! <frowns slightly>

A lie is an untrue statement delivered with a deliberate intent to deceive.

Let's set aside for now the issue of whether I've attempted to deceive anyone. Can you point out even one untrue thing in anything I've said here?

If you wish to point out more than one untrue thing, and think you can, go for it. But out of an abundance of reasonableness, I'm only asking for one.

If you cannot point out any untrue comments on my part, then it is unreasonable to accuse me of making such statements.
oralube

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2014 02:19 am
@oralloy,
Asks the most dishonest piece of crap on a2k. Stow it.

Are you still molesting children?
oralloy

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2014 05:10 am
@oralube,
oralube wrote:
Asks the most dishonest piece of crap on a2k. Stow it.
Are you still molesting children?

*PLONK*
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2015 03:57 pm
Quote:
Costa Concordia captain sentenced to 16 years jail
The captain of the Costa Concordia cruise ship has been sentenced to 16 years in jail after being found guilty of manslaughter. Italian Francesco Schettino was in charge of the ship when it hit rocks in January 2012.

http://www.dw.de/costa-concordia-captain-sentenced-to-16-years-jail/a-18250546

Sounds right.

Quote:
In a verdict handed down at an Italian court on Wednesday following a 19-month trial,

Wow, the result seems right but 19 months is about 17 months too long.