The Lies, foibles and misrepresentations of John Kerry

nimh

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2004 06:44 pm
Why not? We've had a thread with this title on GWB - the obvious, and portentous target. And we've had one on Howard Dean, that never did seem to go anywhere fast, despite Dean's repeated verbal fuckups.

That was - in my humble impression - because what Dean primarily did was just shoot his mouth off - and then try to somehow (ineptly) repair the mess. Thats something different from deliberately and continuously reinventing yourself, what you said and did, out of sheer opportunism - the pure and personal urge to just always be on the profitable side.

Now who would be the master of that? Right - John Kerry. The man who was a hero in Vietnam and when he came back - and then checked in his spine at the cloakroom when he entered politics. So he gets his own thread.

I already explained at length why the utter vacuous vanity of Kerry's campaign thus far has exasperated me - not just cause he annoys me, but because I feel he doesn't stand a snowball's chance in hell to win against Bush - beyond what Bush might himself do to **** up. We even had a little discussion about it. But this thread isn't borne so much out of strategic ponderings, but of the amazement with which almost every week I seem to read something about Kerry that makes me think, as a blogger wrote, somebody just please help this man out of his misery! I won't go dig for all the stuff thus far, I'm trusting there'll be enough more coming up ...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 15,115 • Replies: 225
No top replies

nimh

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2004 06:51 pm
This seems as good a place as any to start - I posted this on the "Kerry? Really?" thread the other day. Emphases all mine.

Quote:
Monday I dwelled a bit on one of John Kerry's many yet-to-be-exploited-but-blindingly-obvious vulnerabilities: his vote [against] the 1991 Gulf war. [..]

Turns out I was giving Kerry too much credit. Rather than take a side--albeit the one he thought was most expedient--Kerry actually stood on both sides of the first Gulf war, much like he did this time around. Consider this "Notebook" item from TNR's March 25, 1991 issue, which ran under the headline "Same Senator, Same Constituent" :

Quote:
"Thank you for contacting me to express your opposition ... to the early use of military force by the US against Iraq. I share your concerns. On January 11, I voted in favor of a resolution that would have insisted that economic sanctions be given more time to work and against a resolution giving the president the immediate authority to go to war."

--letter from Senator John Kerry to Wallace Carter[/b] of Newton Centre, Massachusetts, dated January 22 [1991]

"Thank you very much for contacting me to express your support for the actions of President Bush in response to the Iraqi invasion of Kuwait. From the outset of the invasion, I have strongly and unequivocally supported President Bush's response to the crisis and the policy goals he has established with our military deployment in the Persian Gulf."

--Senator Kerry to Wallace Carter, January 31 [1991]

Will someone PLEASE put this guy out of his misery? Please?

link
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2004 06:55 pm
"you don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" just look to see which way Kerry is leaning...
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2004 06:57 pm
And this was the - admittably trivial - trigger for this thread .. irrelevant, yeh, politics as politics goes, yeah, but do we have to nominate such a typical example of it?

Quote:
Earlier this week while appearing at a town hall meeting on the Dartmouth campus, John Kerry had the courage to proclaim publicly what many of his fellow Democrats have been muttering privately--namely, that the South is a lost cause for their party and that they should therefore cede the region to Republicans in order to focus on more fertile electoral territory. "Everybody always makes the mistake of looking South," Kerry said in response to a question about winning the region. "Al Gore proved he could have been president of the United States without winning one Southern state, including his own." But saying that in New Hampshire is one thing; saying it in a Southern state is another.

And so the stage was set for last night's Democratic debate here in Greenville, South Carolina--held five days before the state's February 3 primary. Would Kerry follow his own advice [..]? Or would he retreat from his remarks and try to make a play for South Carolina voters? The answer came [..] when Tom Brokaw kicked off the debate with a question to Kerry about his anti-Southern comments earlier in the week, Kerry was ready to parse his own words. "I never said Democrats made a mistake," he replied. "I never said that at all. I was asked a question about the mathematics of election and I answered a question about the mathematics with respect to Al Gore's election. But I've always said I will compete in the South. I've always said I think I can win the South. I started my campaign in South Carolina. I've been here many times."

Kerry's retreat from his politically brave words about the South was completely in character: He's made a career out of uttering heterodox statements--on affirmative action, on education, on Social Security--only to later essentially disavow them.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2004 06:58 pm
Oh, no...not another politician who would lie.

What is this world coming to.

Oh...the suffering....the humanity!
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2004 07:21 pm
A must read for those who are betting on a Kerry victory: Bring it on?

Now when I linked that report in here before, in Craven's thread, I focused on the many hints it gives about the myriad political track record issues that make Kerry a sitting duck for Rove. But it also raises that other issue. Is this man at all likeable? And don't you have to at least appear likeable to win the Presidency?

The below, again, forsure, is in itself trivial, but it did kinda shock me, like evocative trivialities sometimes do - I mean, these are character issues!

Quote:
Kerry's character became a vital issue in his (1996) race against Weld. [..] Globe and Herald reporters [..] started digging up dirt on Kerry's finances. First, it came out that his supporters had treated him to meals and more lucrative freebies in the '80s: a car he "leased" for 16 months without any payments, a ritzy condo he rented for $200 per month from a friendly developer, a no-risk $21,000 real estate windfall arranged by a top fund-raiser, a lobbyist's $8,000-per-month waterfront apartment where he crashed without paying. Then it came out that Kerry had given less than 1 percent of his earnings to charity before marrying Teresa Heinz. And, when Kerry claimed he had been strapped for cash because his kids were in private school, it came out that he had bought a handmade, ruby red, $8,600 Ducati motorcycle the same year he had given only $175 to charity. "What is he doing with all his money?" Weld asked. "I mean, he's making one hundred thirty thousand dollars a year. He's got free meals, free cars, and free housing. And he can't throw a few bucks to the United Way? Come on!"

It wasn't Watergate, but the scandal did suggest a political version of the entitlement mentality, a kind of Ducati liberalism. "That's the beautiful thing about campaigns," Meehan says. "You learn lessons. He said, 'You know what, I didn't do so well with contributions. I'm going to do better in the future.'" And he has done better. Of course, when he made that vow to do better, he had just married a ketchup heiress worth half a billion dollars.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2004 07:23 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
Oh, no...not another politician who would lie.

Yeh.

Like I said: "irrelevant, yeh, politics as politics goes, yeah, but do we have to nominate such a typical example of it?"

All politicians do this kinda thing. Kerry just happens to be particularly prone to it - or less successful in compensating with strong, principled stands on other things. As I'm sure we'll have ample opportunity to demonstrate.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2004 07:36 pm
Gotta be honest with ya, Nimh.

When the opposition (whoever or whatever that might be) to what I hold important is about to do something stupid...

...the last thing I ever do is to blow horns about it.

If in fact Kerry is the guy you folks most want to be heading the ticket opposed to your guy -- it makes no sense to be lobbing bombs at him at this juncture.

If in fact Kerry is the guy you folks most want to win this thing for the Democrats -- you really ought to be quiet as a mouse.

At least that is the way I work things.

But...you folks may see thing differntly for reasons I am not able to comprehend.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2004 07:46 pm
Errrrrr ..... No offense, but I must confess I dont have a clue what you're on about. <grins>

Who's "you folks"? Who's "your guy"? What are you talking about?
0 Replies

kjvtrue

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2004 10:18 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
Oh, no...not another Politician who would lie.

"There is no such thing as a Perrfect Politician, I bet if you were one, you would lie to!" "Even Darwin knew that!"
0 Replies

kjvtrue

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2004 10:26 pm
I believe Jonh Kerry would not make a decent President.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 01:32 am
If I could vote in the US, Kerry would get my vote.

Carry on...
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 01:50 am
If the election were held today I would vote for Kerry. I certainly won't vote for Bush, not after all he's done to our country. I'm not 100% set on Kerry though. I have to observe him more over the next few months. But I like what I see so far. If he has lied it's nothing compared to Bush's lies. Bush's lies has directly resulted in the deaths of hundreds of American service men and women.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 06:18 am
Ahhhh. Gives a new meaning to the phrase, "All things to all people"! Laughing
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 09:11 am
Looking for a completely honest politician is the same as Diogenese looking for an honest man. It does not exist. I reflect upon the fact that a politician who tells it like it is regardless of the situation and audience in all likelihood could not get elected dog catcher. Kerry's lies and misrepresentations pale when compared with that monumental liar sitting in the oval office at the present time.
IMO the only ticket that stands a chance against that ogre in the White House is Kerry/Edwards.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 09:23 am
au1929 wrote:
Looking for a completely honest politician is the same as Diogenese looking for an honest man. It does not exist. I reflect upon the fact that a politician who tells it like it is regardless of the situation and audience in all likelihood could not get elected dog catcher. Kerry's lies and misrepresentations pale when compared with that monumental liar sitting in the oval office at the present time.
IMO the only ticket that stands a chance against that ogre in the White House is Kerry/Edwards.

Kerry / Clark works for me also.

Kerry will do okay. He'll be slimed -- but what can one expect from the slime merchants (indeed, slimy slime merchants) who will be coming at him.

Bush -- and this bunch of losers he's got around him -- have got to be thrown out. They are doing more damage by the day.

White males in this society -- of which I am one -- had better wake up and recognize what is really going on. White males form the core of support for these miscreants -- and the bloody fact is that this group represents a greater danger to the common interests of white males (and white females and males and females of color) -- than any of the pretend dangers the conservatives are using to lure gullible white males.
0 Replies

rabel22

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 10:21 am
AMEN Frank
0 Replies

kjvtrue

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 11:49 am
My father said, "the reason why I'm voting for Kerry, is because he hates Homosexuals." I asked my father, "how do you know this," he replied, "because I watched him say that on CBS Evening News."
0 Replies

kjvtrue

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 11:54 am
roverroad wrote:
If the election were held today I would vote for Kerry. I certainly won't vote for Bush, not after all he's done to our country. I'm not 100% set on Kerry though. I have to observe him more over the next few months. But I like what I see so far. If he has lied it's nothing compared to Bush's lies. Bush's lies has directly resulted in the deaths of hundreds of American service men and women.

"Well, look at all the lies that Billy Boy, and his aging Barbie Doll, has said!"
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 12:04 pm
We got an automated phone call from Kerry... one of his campaign topics (press#2) was that the Congress should get the same medical program as the rest of the country, instead of what they have voted for themselves, a very sweet deal.

We liked that. What was odd, we'd been talking about that when the phone rang. (Were they channeling us?) Kerry has never been very appealing, but I would vote for him over Bush.

I still like Dean. Like Clark. Like Edwards. Even liked Gephardt. I do not care for Lieberman (We're number 3, we're number 3.... I've got my joementum working... ugh).
0 Replies