Stupid Scammy Scammers!

sozobe

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2012 11:35 am
@boomerang,
Probably.... my initial email was just "is this the one you mean?" and nothing more than that (beyond thanking her for thinking of sozlet).

But still, if she's realized she messed up then she'd need to decide on tone, you're right.

I'm still not sure whether she thinks it's just too expensive, in general, or if she's realized how scammy it actually is.
Linkat

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2012 11:38 am
@sozobe,
My thought was - she is very embarassed about it...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2012 11:46 am
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:
I'm still not sure whether she thinks it's just too expensive, in general, or if she's realized how scammy it actually is.

or (hopefully) realizes that she had no business nominating them for anything without clearing it with you first
sozobe

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2012 11:51 am
@ehBeth,
Right, that too.

In terms of putting the brakes on this one though.

From what sozlet said I'm not sure if she (Mrs. T) has considered the clearing it with the parents part, even now. She seems to be talking in terms of, this one doesn't look like it will work out, but I'm going to try to find something else (cheaper/ more legitimate/ both) instead.

And we parents haven't heard anything directly from her yet at all, it's all been through our kids. (C's mom and I are friends and have talked about it a bit.)

So I might have to make sure of that part.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2012 12:17 pm
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:
She seems to be talking in terms of, this one doesn't look like it will work out, but I'm going to try to find something else (cheaper/ more legitimate/ both) instead.

in that case she needs to be leashed fairly promptly
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2012 12:12 pm
Just realized, when I saw something in the mail that I thought might be the infamous acceptance letter from NYSP but then turned out not to be, that we haven't actually gotten anything yet.

It might still be coming, but I'll consider this resolved unless it does.
lorr7

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2013 11:45 pm
@sozobe,
Bottom line.....Unless I'm rich! I'm not going to go broke for it! There are plenty of programs for less money! If it has something to do with a future in college, then I can understand! Ie...at 10 years old is it going towards college credits???? I can keep going on and on, but you get my point! I am a great parent and want the best for my child's future!
lorr7

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2013 11:51 pm
@lorr7,
Clearly MARKETING MATERIAL! $2,000 IF 1 OUT OF 4 JOIN THAT'S MAKING MONEY! hmmmm...considering the amount of mailers that go out!
lorr7

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2013 11:53 pm
@lorr7,
Oh yeah, and by that meaning the ratio of parents that do fall for it vs the one's that don't....just saying!!!! I wish I was smart enough to make that kind of cheddar!!!
0 Replies

FOUND SOUL

Reply Fri 18 Jan, 2013 02:36 am
@sozobe,
It sounds as if she has a good heart, wants for her "kids" and googles alot Smile Looking for ways to help them get where they should be going.

BUT, it also sounds as if she is "too" close and dis-regards the parents as if she is the parent.

Mmmm.. thought.
0 Replies

EnvisionAlumnus

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2014 10:11 pm
Honestly, they really have improved. I went to JrNYLC in 2012, JrNYLC Alumni Boston in 2013, and NYLSC I got back from on June 22nd. Not all conferences cost the same, the prices have been going down... Plus, the better business beareau has given them an A+ rating.
0 Replies

daniel quinn

Reply Fri 20 Mar, 2015 08:16 pm
@sozobe,
Thank you.My son came home with one of those letters today and I just had to bust that bubble.Fortunately we live a couple of hours from D.C. and I will be taking my son there for alot less than two thousand dollars.
0 Replies

Rose72

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2017 07:20 am
@sozobe,
I actually did this program in second grade, and it was really a lot of fun. They provided meals and places for us to sleep, and I took classes for the entire week in Crime Scene Investigation and leadership. We had homework and a final project for each class, and I came away from it with a really good understanding of both CSI and leadership. It was like summer camp, I guess, since we had fun nights and even an NYSP song and daily activities (since we were all little kids), but I wouldn't say it's a scam. The place we were in was actually really nice, and there were adults that patrolled the halls and kept a nurse's station open in case anyone got hurt.
0 Replies