WhyI despise Google Chrome

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2012 03:55 pm
What a horrible farrago that program is!

It's trying to be something like FaceBook. Why? That's just duplication of effort. I installed it because I could no longer access my gmail account with the old version of Google which I had been using as my home-page. The Chrome, for me, is a total and complete disaster. I use it now exclusively to access gmail, no other purpose. It doesn't have the cool toolbars that my old Google does, for one thing. I tried to download one of their toolbars and met with incomprehensible disaster.

I'm now back to using the old Google as my home-page and switch to Google Chrome for the sole purpose of checking my e-mail on gmail. It has no use for me otherwise. (I actually opened a secondary e-mail account at Hotmail, just to have some backup in case this disaster of a program tanks completely.)

Anyone else have bad (or good) experiences with Google Chrome?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 2,433 • Replies: 17
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2012 04:26 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Do you mean Google Plus?

Google Chrome is a browser. I don't use it a lot (Safari is my main one) but I use it sometimes.

Google + is a Facebookesque thing, which is kind of tanking because it doesn't seem to be adequately luring people away from Facebook, and people go where other people are.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2012 04:30 pm
oh sure, here comes miss smarty pants telling us old farts we don't even know words. Wink

I tried google chrome and hated it too.
chai2

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2012 04:30 pm
@chai2,
BTW, I don't know words even.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2012 04:34 pm
@chai2,
I'm just confused!

Google Chrome isn't Facebooky, but Google Plus is. But some of what he says is more Google Chrome-y. So I'm confused.

I don't hate either of them, but also don't use either one much 'cause there are other things I like better (Safari, Facebook).

One good thing about Google Plus is that it forced some good changes at Facebook (the ability to tailor who sees your status updates, etc.)
chai2

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2012 04:41 pm
@sozobe,
New signature line.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2012 04:45 pm
@sozobe,
I think we're all confused and, in the end, I think it's all Google's fault. Here's what happened. I went to my old Google home-page a day or two ago (it comes up automatically as my default when I click on Internet Explorer). Everything was fine except that on my gmail page I could view the page but couldn't open any mail. An orange banner told me I had better switch to Google Chrome. So I clicked on that. I got all that google-plus crap along with the Chrome download. Never specifically asked for it at all.

As I said in my OP, I now have two Google avatars sitting on my screen and use the Chrome one only if I want to read my mail. The old one works just fine for accessing A2k or FaceBook or anything else I want to look up.

But, as I said, I'm confused.
sozobe

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2012 04:52 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
I think I see.

Internet Explorer is your default browser.

For some reason, IE and gmail were not playing well together. (This may or may not be related):

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/968136

At any rate, you followed prompts to download Google Chrome to access gmail.

When that happened, some confusing Google + things happened too (maybe you got a prompt and you followed it? When I open Chrome I just get the clean Google home page, but my daughter is the one who set it up and might have just ignored/ rejected some stuff).

I don't quite get what the old Google avatar is. A bookmark to get to Google via Internet Explorer?
ehBeth

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2012 04:55 pm
@sozobe,
I think it's icons, not avatars. L.A. uses the old icon to access his normal google homepage, has to use the new one to get to his gmail.

pffffffffffft google (as anything other than a search engine)
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2012 04:56 pm
@ehBeth,
You're right, of course. Meant to say icons.
sozobe

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2012 04:58 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Gotcha.

Well, Internet Explorer really should allow you to read gmail. I can probably help you figure that out if you'd like, so you can dispense with both Google Chrome and Google+.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2012 05:00 pm
@sozobe,
Yup. Internet explorer and safari are a bitch when they comes close or conflict with any other browser. I use Google Chrome exclusively on my Mac and PC's. I have talked to several geeks and they all recommend either Chrome or Firefox. I love it. It works very well for me. I find it very intuitive.
I would delete whatever other browser came with your computer, this will save you the headaches.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2012 01:50 pm
@Ceili,
Speaking as an ignoramus (ignorama?), if I switch to google chrome, or firefox for that matter, what happens to all my saved stuff and book marks in safari? Do you still have safari, Soz? I assume I can do both, not positive..
sozobe

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2012 02:12 pm
@ossobuco,
Yep, I have both. Sozlet prefers Chrome (it's what she uses at school), also we each have gmail accounts and this allows us to have them open at the same time (mine on Safari, hers on Chrome). (We have a single computer, and share.)

So they are both installed, and both icons are on the desktop, and we use one, the other one, or both at the same time. No problems thus far (we installed Chrome maybe six months ago).
ossobuco

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2012 02:12 pm
@sozobe,
Thanks, Soz.
0 Replies

sumi11

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2012 01:25 am
sometime it is problem , try again later
0 Replies

bsb

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2012 03:57 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Scrabble word of the day: 'farrago'.
Thanks for that...
0 Replies

PandaFan

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2012 06:01 pm
I'm with some of the other thoughts and I would say that if you feel as I do about google..blah to anything but as a search engine (you add your email as well) then see about removing all the other crap and try accessing your email from IE or Mozilla and see if that helps you at all
0 Replies