Rabid Bat in Barnstable, MA...

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2011 12:20 pm
Quote:
Barnstable County man is hospitalized and in
critical condition after contracting rabies

A Barnstable County man is hospitalized and in critical condition after contracting rabies, likely after
being exposed to a bat in his home, state public health officials announced this morning.

This is the first case since 1935 of rabies contracted by a human in Massachusetts. It is the sixth such
case this year in the United States. Rabies is a highly fatal disease that attacks the central nervous system.

Public Health Commissioner John Auerbach said there is no evidence that there are more rabid animals
in the state than in recent years.

“This is not a reason for people to panic,” he said. “There is no elevated risk here.”

While rabies infects tens of thousands of people around the world each year, it had been successfully
controlled in the United States since the 1930s by vaccinating domestic animals and through the use of
medications given to people who have been bitten or scratched by animals thought to be infected, said
Dr. Lawrence Madoff, director of the Division of Epidemiology and Immunization. Hundreds of people in
the state receive the post-exposure drugs each year before developing any symptoms, he said.

Most who do develop symptoms, as in this case, die from the disease.
(today's.globe)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 9 • Views: 2,683 • Replies: 12

sozobe

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2011 12:25 pm
@Region Philbis,
Yikes!
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2011 12:40 pm
@Region Philbis,
It's a darn good thing that they put Ole Yeller in the corn crib and then shot him or there coulda bin a whole passel of new cases.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2011 01:13 pm
Just a few years ago people in New England were being warned about rabid racoons. Now it's bats. 'Coons are easier to spot in the woods.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2011 05:24 pm
In other news, Mitt Romney has an alibi as he was out of the state at the time.
Ragman

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2011 07:04 pm
@jespah,
So that means he couldn't have come to bat?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2011 07:06 pm
@jespah,
Shirking, eh?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2011 07:41 pm
@Region Philbis,
I think if I was bitten by a bat I would know it. And I would go to a doctor. Actually, if I was bitten by any wild animal and it drew blood I'm pretty sure I would see a doctor.

Did this guy not know he was bitten, or did he just ignore the bite?

Rabbis does have to be contracted through a bite, right?
JTT

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2011 07:56 pm
@rosborne979,
Quote:
Rabbis does have to be contracted through a bite, right?

I believe it's 'rabies', but I'm pretty sure you already know that, Ros.

I don't believe so, but the likelihood that he french kissed the bat is pretty slim.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2011 07:58 pm
@rosborne979,
Couldn't the saliva carrying the rabies get into the bloodstream through an existing cut?
rosborne979

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2011 04:42 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Couldn't the saliva carrying the rabies get into the bloodstream through an existing cut?
I don't know. But I don't think I've ever heard of that before.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2011 06:10 am
Here's what the CDC says:
CDC wrote:
Transmission of rabies virus usually begins when infected saliva of a host is passed to an uninfected animal. The most common mode of rabies virus transmission is through the bite and virus-containing saliva of an infected host. Though transmission has been rarely documented via other routes such as contamination of mucous membranes (i.e., eyes, nose, mouth), aerosol transmission, and corneal and organ transplantations.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2023 11:15 am
0 Replies