Some aspects of Hawaiian pidgin

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2011 06:37 pm
We tend to think of pidgin as a kind of bastardized English, spoken by people for whom English is not a first language. But that's not necessarily so. Often pidgin itself can be a person's first -- and only -- language. There are plenty of people in Hawaii who speak no other language but Hawaiian pidgin on a daily basis. Many of them are quite capale of switching to standard English if the need arises, but they're more comfortable with the familiar locutions. I thought it might be of interest to some A2kers who care about language to get a sampling of Hawaiian pidgin.

It's mostly English, with a number of words that come from either Hawaiian or, more rarely, Japanese. First, the most commonplace Hawaiian words that everyone learns quickly, even first-time visitors to Hawaii:

Aloha -- You all know this. It's used for both 'hello' and 'goodby' but it actually means 'love.' And you hear it used in its real meaning quite frequently in expressions such as "He has a lot of aloha" or, conversely, "That guy has no aloha."

Mahalo -- Another word you hear all the time. It means "Thank you." Interestingly, there is no way to say "You're welcome." The proper response is just a smile and a nod. But some non-Hawaiians (we call them haoles)have started answering'Mahalo' with

Aole Pilikia which means, "No problem."

Ohana -- family. But if you ever saw the movie Lalo and Stitch, you already knew that.

Keiki -- child or chidren (There's no distinction between singular and plural in this word.)

Two words that everyone knows and that you see even in otherwise all-English newspaper stories are mauka and makai. The first means 'inland, away from the shore.' The second means 'toward the sea.' People don't refer to north or south, east or west much. Things are described as being mauka of this or makai of that.

But these commonly-used words are generally used in a sentence composed mainlyof English words, with some interesting changes in locution. Some of the more common locutons include:

No can instead of "can not."
never often means simply not yet. "He never came" doesn't mean that he's never coming, just that he hasn't arrived yet.

In Hawaiian pidgin the only acceptable indefinite article is "one" rather than "a" or "an." People will ask you, "You got one extra cigarette?" or say "I have one doctor's appointment later today."

Some anomalies:
The common slang expression for "How are you" is "How'zit?" (Supposedly short for "How'zit going?") You don't hear the common mainland expression of "Whassup" very often. On the mainland, it's common to hear "bro" meaning 'brother." It's the same here, except that pronunciation is "brah" and it's usually spelled that way in transcriptions of conversations.

An untranslatable word is "kine' (pronounced not phonetically but just like we might pronounce the plural for 'cows' in older English). It's similar to American "whatchamacallit" or "whozis" but it often acts simply as an interjection meaning the speaker is hunting for the right word in his mind. "Da kine dat word mean anyway?"

It's common to end a sentence with "Yah?" much in the same way that Canadians say "eh?"

Interested in your thoughts and will gladly answer any questions.

msolga

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2011 07:10 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Bookmarking.
Be back later.

Aloha! Smile
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2011 08:10 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Macadamia, Andrew for this lesson in indigenous Hawaiian language. Did I use that word right? Macadamia does mean thanks, right? Razz
LionTamerX

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2011 09:21 pm
I used to have a wonderful album of Hawaiian folktales told in Pidgin. The only one I remember at all was a take off on Goldilocks and the Three Bears. Instead of bears, there were there were some sort of wild pigs or boars running around shouting "Who cock-a-roached my chicken luau?"
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2011 09:35 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Interesting stuff. Gonna listen to some music, see if it makes more sense with this information.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2011 10:47 pm
@tsarstepan,
Owly pickwick, tsar. Dat mean one 'you welcome'. Laughing
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2011 11:20 pm
Another commonly encountered Hawaiian word is kokua. It means to cooperate. You will signs like this in public parks:
PLEASE PLACE TRASH
IN TRASH BINS
MAHALO FOR YOUR KOKUA

Confuses hell out of visitors who don't know 'mahalo' from 'kokua'.

There's another interesting locution in the form of the word 'um. It's basically a catch-all pronoun in the objective case. It reminds me of the phony accents that comic book artists used to put in the mouths of American native people. But here you often hear expressions such as "He got 'um where it hurts" or "I no can go see 'um." It can be masc., fem. or neutr., no matter, it's often just 'um. It can even be used in a plural sense.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2011 02:10 pm
Everywhere I go this morning, someone's yelling "Mele Kalikimaka" at me. I wonder what that means?
ossobuco

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2011 02:13 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
I'm enjoying the thread, Andy. Have only heard pidgin once, by performance artists who included hula in the show along with their repartee.. also the first time I've liked hula.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2011 02:19 pm
@ossobuco,
Thankee, Osso. Or, rather, mahalo. And an aloha and a Mele Kalimaka to you this mornin'.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2011 06:30 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Too late to edit: I meant to say Mele Kalikimaka to Osso. And to everyone else reading this thread. You no want mo words to know? I be glad tell 'um.
msolga

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2011 06:45 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Quote:
Everywhere I go this morning, someone's yelling "Mele Kalikimaka" at me. I wonder what that means?

Can't imagine.
Is the right thing to yell it back at them, Andrew? Smile
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2011 06:46 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Yes, keep going, I'm interested.

The performance artists were an interesting couple, he one of the sexiest guys on earth and openly gay, or pleomorphic, and she, a les, the one with the pidgin. Together they were fabulous with the talk and the dance, though I get that might have been temporary. My ex booked them for a show at the venue he worked for; I've looked them up since, have her name but not his. Anyway, together they changed my preconceptions. I'd never considered hula could be sexy, no matter the hip swaggling. They showed me.
Or pidgin to listen to.

Ex doesn't remember the names; it was awhile ago.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2011 07:01 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Quote:
to everyone else reading this thread. You no want mo words to know? I be glad tell 'um.

Let me think for a minute, Andrew ....

OK.
How do you say "oops, my apologies?" Or "my mistake", "excuse me" ....?

To which the person would most likely reply: "aole pilikia" .... ( hope I got that right!)
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2011 07:07 pm
@msolga,
You could say 'kalamai, assuming you're talking to a person who speaks either Hawaiian or Hawaiian pidgin. But you hear 'my bad' or 'scuse' just as often. And you're right, "aole pilikia" would be a fine response. And please remember that written Hawaiian is completely phonetic, don't try to anglicize the pronunciations of those words.In other words, as an exmple aole is not pronounced "owly" but, rather "ah-oh-lay."
msolga

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2011 07:27 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Quote:
You could say 'kalamai, assuming you're talking to a person who speaks either Hawaiian or Hawaiian pidgin. .....
.....Hawaiian is completely phonetic, don't try to anglicize the pronunciations of those words.In other words, as an exmple aole is not pronounced "owly" but, rather "ah-oh-lay.

OK.

So the pronunciation of 'kalamai, would be:
"kal-a-may" or ""kal-u-may"?

Trying to get my head & tongue around this. Smile

Lustig Andrei

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2011 07:41 pm
@msolga,
say kah-lah-my (using the usual non-phonetic English characters); very much like calamari in Italian but without the 'R' sound at the end, of course.
msolga

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2011 07:48 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Thank you, Andrew.

Getting the hang of it now (I hope!).
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2011 05:53 am
Your musings remind me of the actor Ken Campbell, who had a lifelong interest in Pidgin, and even produced a Pidgin version of Macbeth. From Wikipedia.
Quote:
In 2001 Campbell staged a version of Macbeth in pidgin English. It was the big gun in his campaign to get Bislama, first language of 6,000 inhabitants of the South Pacific islands of Vanuatu, formally adopted as a world language (wol wantok). The virtue of Bislama was that with a bit of determination you could pick it up in an afternoon. Campbell argued that, in certain respects, Macbeth in pidgin was better than the original. If nothing else, the campaign had the effect of bringing to a wider public the Bislama for Prince Philip: "Nambawan bigfala emi blong Misis Kwin" (Number one big fellow him belong Mrs Queen).

http://www.playbackarts.co.uk/meryfela/makpost.jpg
Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2011 02:16 pm
@izzythepush,
Love it! Hawaiian pidgin isn't really all that expressive, I'll admit. It pales before the Papua-New Guinea speech, for example, which has been expounded upon at great length by author Jared Diamond. For example, can you beat 'look-look house blong all' as the phrase that means 'museum'?