The Sidney Awards for the best magazine essays of the year By DAVID BROOKS

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2011 01:25 pm
December 19, 2011
The Sidney Awards, Part I
By DAVID BROOKS - New York Times

Every year, the Sidney Awards, named for the renowned philosopher Sidney Hook, go out to some of the best magazine essays of the year. Anybody interested in being a better person will click the links to these essays, and read attentively.

The first winner is Peter Hessler’s New Yorker article, “Dr. Don: The life of a small-town druggist.” It is a profile of a man named Don Colcord who lives in Nucla, Colo., and serves that community medically, spiritually, financially and beyond.

The article is a beautiful description of what it’s like to live in a small town, where everybody knows each other’s sins and virtues. As one resident puts it, “I like to play chess. I moved to a small town and nobody played chess there, but one guy challenged me to checkers. I always thought it was kind of a simple game, but I accepted. And he beat me nine or ten games in a row. That’s sort of like living in a small town. It’s a simple game, but it’s played at a higher level.”

Every year, thousands of New York City high-school students take a test hoping to get into the superelite Stuyvesant High School. This year, 569 Asian-Americans qualified, along with 179 whites, 13 Hispanics and 12 blacks. Results like that feed the stereotype that Asians are smart, hard-working, repressed and conformist.

Wesley Yang blows that stereotype apart in “Paper Tigers” in New York Magazine. Yang interviews dozens of young Asian-Americans who, unsatisfied with good grades alone, are trying to learn things like how to be more assertive and how to make trouble. In one weekend boot camp in New York City, the Asian students broaden their cultural repertoire by chanting, “I do what I want!” Yang’s essay is a subtle description of the immigrant experience, 2011.

In this age of self-congratulation, every political movement needs self-criticism. Steven F. Hayward does that favor for conservatism in Breakthrough Journal. He notes that conservatism is failing on its own terms. The conservative base, the white middle class, is experiencing stagnant wages and social decay. Government is bigger than ever.

Hayward offers some suggestions. The Starve the Beast strategy — reducing taxes as a way to induce spending cuts — has failed. Better to adopt a Serve the Check strategy. Confront people with a tax bill that accurately reflects their public spending choices. See what decisions they make then.

Robert Boyers’s essay, “A Beauty” in the journal Agni, lingers in the mind. It is about Boyers’s late friend, the writer Charles Newman, who was astonishingly handsome.

Seductiveness was his daily currency. Women — even waitresses three decades his junior — were constantly flirting with him and he was constantly flirting with them. “Women especially were drawn to this beauty as to a quality inordinately precious, as if being close to it might miraculously confer upon them a sense of comparable endowment,” Boyers writes. Perhaps unintentionally, the portrait makes beauty seem soul-destroying. Newman comes across as a leopard gracefully and ruthlessly stalking one prey after another.

Malcolm Gladwell had another sensational year at The New Yorker. In May, he wrote “Creation Myth” on the creativity chain — the differences between theorists, inventors and implementers. In February, he wrote “The Order of Things,” a devastating takedown of the U.S. News and World Report and other college and university rankings.

Rankings vary enormously according to how they are calculated. If you rank law schools without regard to cost, then Chicago, Yale and Harvard come out on top. If you do account for cost, suddenly Brigham Young and Alabama surge. If you rank by which school produces gifted graduates, Yale is on top. If you rank by which school does the most for the students it admits, Penn State dominates.

Sandra Tsing Loh delivers a bracing look at menopause in her Atlantic essay, “The Bitch Is Back.” “I am fast losing patience with the day job of motherhood,” Loh writes. She also describes periods of “crippling, unreasoning gloom.” During them, “You experience anxiety at the notion of being face-to-face with your loved ones, because they will read from your dull eyes that which you can no longer hide — that you don’t love them, never will again.”

Alan Lightman writes in “The Accidental Universe” in Harper’s that the existence of life is so incredibly improbable that there can be only two realistic explanations: Either there is a God who designed all this, or there exist many, many different universes, a vast majority of which are lifeless. Many physicists are gravitating to the latter theory. Our universe is just one of many. The universal laws of physics aren’t really universal. They are just the arbitrary arrangements that happen to prevail in our own little universe.

The essays in my next column will be strictly about this universe.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,208 • Replies: 1
No top replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2011 01:26 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
December 22, 2011
The Sidney Awards, Part II
By DAVID BROOKS - New York Times

Book tours are lonely, yet after spending four months promoting his novel “Freedom,” Jonathan Franzen went to an island 500 miles off the coast of Chile to be alone. He got at least one thing out of it, a profound essay in The New Yorker called “Farther Away,” the winner of another of this year’s Sidney Awards.

Franzen’s theme is solitude. He writes about Robinson Crusoe, the emergence of the novel, the potentially isolating effect of the Internet, and the suicide of his friend, the writer David Foster Wallace.

“He was a lifelong prisoner on the island of himself,” Franzen writes of his friend. “To prove once and for all that he truly didn’t deserve to be loved, it was necessary to betray as hideously as possible those who loved him best, by killing himself at home and making them firsthand witness to his act.”

Wallace emerges as a person who defined the extreme end of the isolation spectrum. Franzen is a bit down the scale, which explains what is best in his writing (his incredible powers of observation) and what is worst (his coolness toward his own characters). Many people with writerly personalities share these traits. You can also find a few of them, oddly, in politics.

Many of the best public-policy essays of the year tackled the interconnected subjects of inequality, wage stagnation and the loss of economic dynamism. If anybody wants a deeper understanding of these issues, I’d recommend a diverse mélange of articles: “The Broken Contract” by George Packer in Foreign Affairs; “The Inequality That Matters” by Tyler Cowen in The American Interest; “The Rise of the New Global Elite” by Chrystia Freeland in The Atlantic; and “Beyond the Welfare State” in National Affairs by Yuval Levin.

Each essay has insights that complicate the familiar partisan story lines. Cowen, for example, notes that income inequality is on the way up while the inequality of personal well-being is on the way down. One hundred years ago, John D. Rockefeller lived a very different life than the average wage earner, who worked six days a week, never took vacations and had no access to the world’s culture. Today, both you and Bill Gates enjoy the Internet, important new pharmaceuticals and good cheap food.

Anybody who is on antidepressants, or knows somebody who is, should read Marcia Angell’s series “The Epidemic of Mental Illness: Why?” from The New York Review of Books. Many of us have been taught that depression arises, in part, from chemical imbalances in the brain. Apparently, there is no evidence to support that.

Many of us thought that antidepressants work. Apparently, there is meager evidence to support that, too. They may work slightly better than placebos, Angell argues, but only under certain circumstances. They may also be permanently altering people’s brains and unintentionally fueling the plague of mental illness by causing episodes of mania, for example. I wouldn’t consider Angell the last word on this, but it’s certainly a viewpoint worth learning about.

Speaking about medicine gone wrong, Ethan Gutmann had a chilling piece in The Weekly Standard called “The Xinjiang Procedure” about organ harvesting in China. Prisoners are executed by firing squads and then, as they are slowly dying, doctors are rushed in to harvest livers and kidneys. Gutmann spoke with doctors compelled to perform this procedure:

“Even as Enver stitched the man back up — not internally, there was no point to that anymore, just so the body might look presentable — he sensed the man was still alive. ‘I am a killer,’ Enver screamed inwardly. He did not dare to look at the man’s face again.”

GQ magazine had a very good year with several fine articles. One of them was “The Movie Set That Ate Itself” by Michael Idov. It is about the movie director Ilya Khrzhanovsky who set out to make a film about Stalinism. He took over a Ukrainian city, amassed a cast of thousands and had them live in his own totalitarian city. They were forbidden to utter words or use technologies that did not exist in 1952. He redid the plumbing pipes so the toilets would sound like toilets from 1952. Actors and technicians had to answer to his every whim.

Hundreds left or were purged from the movie project, but many more were sucked in by the totalitarian mind-set, snitching on confederates, living in fear. Idov ends up denouncing his own photographer, after Khrzhanovsky turns against him.

Every year there are more outstanding essays than I have space to mention, but this year’s selection process has been the hardest. The Internet is everywhere, but this is a golden age of long-form journalism, and I could have chosen 50 pieces as good as the ones above. Click on The Browser, Longform.org and Arts & Letters Daily for links to more. Tweets are fun, but essays you’ll remember.
0 Replies