You Know Your Kid's Not a Baby Anymore When...

rosborne979

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2011 02:38 pm
@ossobuco,
One of the first surprises Andi had in store for me was when I realized that she understood far more than she could express (with language). As her speaking skills improved it was only instinctive to assume that she only understood about as much as she could say, but by the age of one it became apparent that she understood far more than what she could express.

Another surprise for me was realizing just how difficult it must be to learn to form certain sounds (which eventually make words). While riding in the car one day (with her in a child seat in the back where she couldn't see me, or see how I formed words), I heard her trying to say a word, and I realized that she couldn't yet form the "sh" sound (like sheep). I watched her in the rear view mirror and realized that she was trying to see my mouth as I made the sound. But she couldn't see me from back there. After that I always made a point to face her and let her see me when she was trying to learn how to form a new sound.

I think we take a lot of the challenges of language or granted.

0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2012 12:58 pm
@sozobe,
... you realize that you didn't even think twice about leaving out a counter full of Christmas ornaments in her presence.

(A younger friend is coming over today and as I walked by the counter a large flashing red arrow appeared and reminded me that leaving out all the glass + delicate + pointy + shiny + colorful + precious objects was a very bad idea.)

(We have free Christmas tree pick-up and disposal, I wasn't sure what the deadline was and so I de-ornamented the tree and took it outside, haven't gotten around to finishing putting away the ornaments yet. Will do.)

Man, I loved it when she was a baby and a toddler but it's nice to not have to think about this sort of thing on a daily basis.

Christmas trees are very stressful from when they can crawl until they're like three.
sozobe

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2012 01:02 pm
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

Christmas trees are very stressful from when they can crawl until they're like three.

They = babies/kids, not Christmas trees.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2015 08:11 pm
When your grandchildren aren't babies anymore. I don't think my parents started treating me as an adult until my 50's. Sometimes its still a fight for every restaurant check.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2015 08:30 pm
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

sozobe wrote:

They = babies/kids, not Christmas trees.

Trust me. The Japanese are working on sentient mobile Christmas trees. Not for any legitimate practical reason but because they can.(「⊙Д⊙)「
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2015 02:52 pm
@sozobe,
I agree! I have always found perambulant Christmas trees very alarming. Is their mobility proof of angry Dryads inside, do you think? They die when their tree does, you know, no matter how many pretty ornaments you put on their coffins.
0 Replies

jeffmccoy

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2015 03:41 am
This happens with me also like, whenever I feel seek my baby always care of me, she is only 8 years older rather than she care of me like a mother, I love my baby...
0 Replies

Pickle and Tigerlily

Reply Sun 3 Sep, 2017 05:13 am
@sozobe,
* When they can talk well,
* Eat without spilling it all over themselves,
* Go to school.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 4 Sep, 2017 07:35 pm
When you dropped them off at college .....more than a 10 hour drive and you won't see them them for another 3 months
George

Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2017 11:03 am
@Linkat,
And sometime later when you hear them say "when I get back home" and
realize they are not talking about your house.
Linkat

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2017 06:25 am
@George,
Don't even say that
George

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2017 06:40 am
@Linkat,
Yeah, kinda blew my mind.

Now she actually has a house.
And a husband.
And two kids.

Life goes by too damn fast.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2017 01:12 pm
@Linkat,
Ohhh my goodness. College??!

We're still two years away but it's creeping up quick.

How are you doing?
Linkat

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2017 04:38 pm
@sozobe,
Yes college. I am actually doing fine. Fortunately she has a good head on her shoulders. Better than I did at her age.

Her sister on the other hand has taken it hard. She has relied on her sister for support and advice.
sozobe

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2017 06:45 pm
@Linkat,
Aw. Yeah, we seem to know a lot of younger siblings who are having a tough time right now. How far away is the college girl? Can she come back to visit easily?
Linkat

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2017 11:04 am
@sozobe,
Unfortunately she is over a ten hour drive so we won't see her again until thanksgiving
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2017 01:32 am
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

.... You Know Your Kid's Not a Baby Anymore When...

Wait what? No such day ever occurs.
roger

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2017 02:16 am
@Krumple,
C'mon Krumple. You gotta let him wear long pants someday.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2017 08:56 am
It's been a long time since I posted on this thread. My 2.5 yr old has become an 8.5 yr old, seemingly over night.

She has become a master of the language, exemplified now mostly by ignoring me when I ask her questions... "What do you want for dinner?"... silence. "WHAT DO YOU WANT FOR DINNER?"... "I'M THINKING." "How long are gonna think?"... silence.
0 Replies