What will happen to NCLB in 2014?

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2011 05:18 pm
2014 is the deadline for all schools to be meeting the goals set by NCLB or be considered failing.

Only 11 states have asked for waivers because the provisions are constrictive and implementation is too expensive.

According to Education Week:

Quote:
According to an analysis by the Center on Education Policy, "only" 48% of the nation's schools will be failures according to the NCLB yardstick. There are indications that some states may have softened up their requirements, and clearly we have different measurement systems in place, when we see that 81% of the schools in Massachusetts will fail, while only 22% of those in Louisiana will do so. It is unlikely the schools in Louisiana are that much better than those in Massachusetts.

http://blogs.edweek.org/teachers/living-in-dialogue/2011/12/duncans_dilemma.html

With 48% of our schools "failing" and the government set to enforce NCLB consequences in just a bit over one year's time, what is going to happen? How will they enforce it?

I'm hoping some of you policy wonks can fill me in.

If they can't enforce it what will happen then?

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 4,042 • Replies: 5
No top replies

RABEL222

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2011 06:54 pm
They will pass a law on the QT to undo it cover up the fact they did and than quietly sneak off.
boomerang

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2011 07:18 pm
@RABEL222,
So you think they'll just pretend the deadline didn't happen or that they'll actually undo NCLB?

Obama's "fixes" for NCLB have actually been much worse than the actual law.

I hear a lot of Republican candidates saying they'll eliminate the DoE, mostly because "it didn't exist when I was a kid" (forgetting about DoHEW). I'm not sure what they think that will fix.

Does anybody know what they're hoping to accomplish with that?
RABEL222

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2011 07:43 pm
@boomerang,
The only thing Bushes NCLB did was take two weeks out of the school year for teachers to teach their students how to take tests.
boomerang

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2011 07:17 am
@RABEL222,
That's not true. Schools have been closed, entire staffs have been fired, private management companies have taken over poor preforming schools, consultants have been hired, billions have been spent, most enrichment classes have been cut.....
RABEL222

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2011 11:56 am
@boomerang,
You dont understand what I meant. It was one of his, Bushes, more meaningless laws. It hasent helped schools educate kids because the teachers have to spend so much time teaching kids to take the government tests.
0 Replies