hallucinated voices of real persons

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2011 09:06 am
Does anyone who lives with schizophrenia ever hallucinate voices of real persons from the present or past - such as an old junior high school drama teacher you haven't seen for years, a person you have a crush on currently, or your boss at work? Or, perhaps, even family members? Most of the time, my audio hallucinations involve a unisex/male-sounding voice that I've never heard in real life. It can try to command me to do evil things and it calls me names and insults me and sometimes it keeps up a running commentary in my head (or, rather, the sound seems to be coming from just above my head) about things I think and do. But occasionally, I do hear the voices of people I know. I was wondering, is this also true for others?

gungasnake

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2011 09:16 am
@NicobarNine,
Get yourself a copy of Julian Jaynes' "Origin of Consciousness".

"Schizophrenia" is a throwback to an ancient condition, i.e. what we call schizophrenia would have been called normal at the time of Moses.
Fido

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2011 09:36 am
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:

Get yourself a copy of Julian Jaynes' "Origin of Consciousness".

"Schizophrenia" is a throwback to an ancient condition, i.e. what we call schizophrenia would have been called normal at the time of Moses.
What you may be trying to say is that schizophrenia and other hallucinatory states were more common and accepted as common in ancient times... What we think of consciousness began with the externalization of consciousness... Look at the way the Native Americans would induce hallucinations with sweats (dehydration) Alcaloids (tobacco), and fasting... Their spirit guides were not real, but the consciousness, and their sensitivity to it lasted them their entire lives....
PUNKEY

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2011 10:54 am
The idea that this "voice" tries to make you do evil things and insults you takes it to another level - a disturbing one.

Our consciousness is supposed to enlighten us ---not frighten, scare or threaten or encourage us to do harm to others or ourselves.

Please talk to your Dr. about these disturbing thoughts. They are not positive to you in any way.

0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2011 11:01 am
@Fido,
Quote:
What you may be trying to say is that schizophrenia and other hallucinatory states were more common and accepted as common in ancient times...

Not exactly. What I was getting to was that if you go far enough back in time i.e. before the flood and the incident associated with the tower of Babel, these things weren't hallucinations; they were a different paradigm for communications.
High Seas

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2011 12:09 pm
@NicobarNine,
NicobarNine wrote:

Does anyone who lives with schizophrenia ever hallucinate voices of real persons from the present or past - ...

I don't know the answer to your question but there is a thread started by a poster with schizophrenia (link: http://able2know.org/topic/166104-17#post-4803880 ) and if you like to re-post there you may get a useful answer. Read the whole thread, there are some good links there - and good luck to you.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2011 03:23 pm
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:

Quote:
What you may be trying to say is that schizophrenia and other hallucinatory states were more common and accepted as common in ancient times...

Not exactly. What I was getting to was that if you go far enough back in time i.e. before the flood and the incident associated with the tower of Babel, these things weren't hallucinations; they were a different paradigm for communications.

There speaks a true "nut case".
0 Replies

FOUND SOUL

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2011 02:04 am
@NicobarNine,
I've read a little of this over the past couple of years, it seems to be a question bought up .

I'm not sure if links pertaining to other Forums are allowed, doubt it, but google Schizophrenia Origin of Voices - there is a good article of a person who has extensively researched this, having had a simular problem and now, no longer hears voices.

I don't know if you are on any form of medication, if not please go and see a Doctor and if so, please again see your Doctor as it's not effective for you.

Take care.
0 Replies