hawkeye10

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2011 11:01 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
It's not an issue of individual liberty.

Of course it is, amongst other issues at play here.
learner124

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2011 06:40 am
I welcome the decision after all its for our own security. Nothing matters more than a life, not a cell phone atleast. You can reply to your calls and text when you get down from your car.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2011 03:16 pm
@hawkeye10,
Just as banning people from shooting guns in the air during a celebration is a matter of individual liberty?
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2014 10:43 am
Woman Killed In Crash Seconds After Posting About Pharrell’s “Happy” On Facebook
http://www.buzzfeed.com/rachelzarrell/woman-dies-in-fatal-crash-seconds-after-posting-about-happy
chai2

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2014 01:56 pm
@tsarstepan,
This is a Darwin Award death tsar.

Anyone stupid enough to post on facebook and takes selfies while driving gets no sympathy from me.

I still say talking on cellphone is no different than talking to the person next to you.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2014 01:58 pm
@chai2,
The problem is she almost took someone else's life with hers.
chai2

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2014 02:03 pm
@tsarstepan,
Exactly why I have no sympathy for her.

She was an idiot, and she's done the world a world a favor by checking out, so she can never put another person in such danger again.

I just hope she hadn't had the chance to breed yet, and spread her moron genes.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2014 02:05 pm
@chai2,
One can only hope that others will learn something from this and stop texting when driving. She definitely deserves the Darwin Award.
chai2

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2014 02:09 pm
@tsarstepan,
If others have a brain in their head, they already know not to do this.

The stupid people won't absorb the connection to this and their imbecilic behavior at all.

That's a nice sentiment tsar, but I just don't see anyone who is stupid enough to do this in the first place thinking "I'm not going to, because that other person died"

I swear to God, it's like drunk drivers. The one's who are bound and determined to drive will believe they are fine.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 4 May, 2014 08:16 am
A VIGILANTE SOLUTION TO TEXTING AND DRIVING
http://www.onthemedia.org/story/vigilante-solution-texting-and-driving/
Setanta

Reply Sun 4 May, 2014 08:46 am
I tend to agree with Chai here. I was almost run off the road on a busy interstate by a woman doing her makeup in the rear-view mirror. I told my boss about it, and she, although by no means a stupid woman, said sheepishly that she sometimes did that. But what was worse, one of our student workers who was in the office said, in an offended tone: "If they don't want people doing that, why do they put all those mirrors in a car?"
chai2

Reply Sun 4 May, 2014 09:19 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

Oh yeah, brilliant.

Now when someone is texting, and they suddenly get blocked out, without knowing why, they'll start doing some additional, worse stupid stuff.

Hey! I can't text! This is both impossible and unacceptable! I'll just start hitting buttons, checking my batteries, try to call my mother, try to get on the internet etc. all while careening down the road at 70 or 80 mph.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 4 May, 2014 09:20 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

one of our student workers who was in the office said, in an offended tone: "If they don't want people doing that, why do they put all those mirrors in a car?"

oh.....my.....god....
contrex

Reply Sun 4 May, 2014 09:45 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
Setanta wrote:
one of our student workers who was in the office said, in an offended tone: "If they don't want people doing that, why do they put all those mirrors in a car?"
oh.....my.....god....

It's the sort of thing I might say as a joke, but I manage such a straight face that quite often people take me at face value, which makes it even funnier. I once teased an Irish friend by reading a story about Sinead O'Connor from a newspaper and pronouncing her name "Sin-ee-add". "No! he said, "It's 'Shinade'!". I persisted: "No, it's Sin - ee - add - look, it's right here in the paper!". Then I said "Bloody Irish, can't even spell their own names properly!". At this point he said "I reckon I owe you a beer".
roger

Reply Sun 4 May, 2014 02:28 pm
@contrex,
Play dumb for the right audience and they will take it at face value. It only confirms their belief that nobody but them has got any smarts at all.
0 Replies