This is for the Asian members here- (help w/ Asian slang) are these Asian slang nicknames offensive?

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2011 07:45 pm
I am writing a multicultural comic book for kids about streetfighting cats and dogs that fight crime.

I have some Asian American characters and characters from Asia.

I have a Chinese character named Si Fu, which is Chinese slang for "master". I haven't decided if he's going to be Chinese American or from China.

I have some Chinese American characters names Shanghai and Gung Ho.
I have some Japanese American characters named Kamikaze and Honcho.

I would like to know are these names I picked for these characters offensive? Please let me know- thank you.

JGoldman10

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2011 08:30 pm
I just asked some Asians - they don't think so.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2011 09:29 pm
@JGoldman10,
I can't answer for the level of offensiveness these names may or may not carry but according to this and you're other naming threads, it seems you are predetermining your characters to be dull and unoriginal caricatures rather then fully rounded characters which the reader can sympathize, empathasize, and enjoy following the adventures with in any given story arc.

You are spending far too much time on naming the characters. Do you have writer's block?

And also to appeal to generic Asian members is a bit arrogant as Indian, Pakistani, Vietnamese, Mongolian, Laotian, Chinese, Japanese cultures, etc ... are all Asian cultures which are wildly divergent from each other and I bet they don't like to be lumped together to answer irrelevant questions regarding only two cultural subsets (Chinese and Japanese).
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2011 09:30 pm
@tsarstepan,
I have other Asian characters- three people from China said those names are okay.
Questioner

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2011 09:31 pm
@JGoldman10,
So why ask here?
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2011 09:33 pm
@Questioner,
I was curious to know what the Asian members here think.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2011 09:42 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

I have other Asian characters- three people from China said those names are okay.

They maybe fine but they're awful boring and unoriginal.
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2011 09:57 pm
@tsarstepan,
Namesakes don't necessarily make exciting characters.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2011 12:33 pm
@tsarstepan,
I have Chinese and Japanese names I am using- those terms I posted are for AMERICAN characters. Who cares if they aren't 100% original- I want to make sure they aren't offensive.
0 Replies