You've Won The Lottery...What Do You Do Right Away

ehBeth

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2011 08:05 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
I'm with ya on one small place to live. I'm getting someone to clean that small place.

I'd like that small place to be something like the bunkie at joeblow's.
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2011 09:14 pm
@ehBeth,
If I went for the townhouse route or even a two bedroom apartment, I'd definitely "rent" the extra space out to clean cut college students as some kind of scholarship level.

I wouldn't know what to do living by myself.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2011 11:58 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
Give me 50% of your winnings, and I'll show you how to invest the rest. 2 Cents 2 Cents Mr. Green Drunk Drunk Drunk
FOUND SOUL

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2011 05:26 am
@cicerone imposter,
Pftttt after me:)

I'd look after family,

Invest in properties

Go on a holiday

Rent this house out and buy up South overlooking the sea, surrounded by hills and wineries and old towns, funky restaurants

Then I'd prob donate to the animal welfare league

and start some charity foundation that really did help people

lastly

Re do my WHOLE wardrobe just because I had some left over and I can
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2011 12:27 pm
It would depend on how much schloon I won...
Accountant, Lawyer..
Pay off everything. I would set up an account for school or the future for of my kids, parents, brothers, sister, nieces, nephews, some cousins and friends and/or I would pay off their mortgages and the like.
Build my dream house on Vancouver Island and a farm/land. Buy a house in Belize and Ireland. Travel, Invest, and fiddle around, make stuff and design.
0 Replies

IRFRANK

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2011 02:06 pm
@Lash,
Didn't I help you, years ago ?
George

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2011 02:23 pm
Rent a hall, throw a monster party for friends and relations.

I call for attention and tell them "On the way out each of you gets an
envelope. There's money in the envelope for you. Don't ask me for any
more. Ever."
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2011 04:18 pm
Pay off debts. Fix my side of the duplex then sell it. Oh, wait, with all that money, I could give it away to a small family in need. Move - have a base in Los Angeles area, very small house with a little land for a garden and patio, lots of places to walk. That's how I started out, a 680 sq foot house on small lot, and it was very comfortable. Get a dog. Start painting again, have a gallery again, a very idiosyncratic one since I would want to travel, more like a quirky studio where I would also show others' work from time to time. The dog would have to like traveling with me. No problemo, my dogs have usually enjoyed romps of various sorts - Sandpaw was found on some railroad tracks; Kelly ran to Manhattan Beach on his own whim(!); Pacco happy boy on the drive to New Mexico.

Foster arts education somehow - writing/video making/self expression, music, painting, design, et al - in elementary school years.

Oh, yeah, accountant, attorney, blah blah.

First I need to buy a lottery ticket.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2011 04:21 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
blueveinedthrobber wrote:
I don't often play the lottery... I'm not the gambling type, but I do occasionally and the other night just for an exercise I thought about what I'd do if I won. Contrary to what people might think, my first actions would be disgustingly practical.

What would you do?
Consult my tax advisor.

David
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2011 08:03 pm
@IRFRANK,
Cool
0 Replies

siglawoo

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2011 05:27 am
The only thing i need and want to buy is knowledge and wisdom and money can't do that. so i will donate it all to poor and needy people, not to some corrupted organization.
chai2

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2011 07:36 am
@siglawoo,
siglawoo wrote:

The only thing i need and want to buy is knowledge and wisdom and money can't do that. so i will donate it all to poor and needy people, not to some corrupted organization.

Why not set something up so that you will have a perpetual income from the winnings to donate?
In addition, how about setting up educational opportunities for those poor to learn how to increase their own income?

There is your first lesson in knowledge and wisdom.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2011 01:00 pm
@siglawoo,
siglawoo wrote:
The only thing i need and want to buy is knowledge and wisdom and money can't do that.
Money might not get u WISDOM,
but it sure will get u plenty of KNOWLEDGE.

Just buy a decent encyclopedia; or a newspaper.

David
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2011 01:17 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
blueveinedthrobber wrote:

I don't often play the lottery... I'm not the gambling type, but I do occasionally and the other night just for an exercise I thought about what I'd do if I won. Contrary to what people might think, my first actions would be disgustingly practical.

What would you do?

Wish for 3 more wishes.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2011 02:23 pm
I don't think I would do anything else different the most people.

1) Pay off bills.
2)Begin investing. This includes helping others. Planning on letting a family live in the old house rent free.
)Build new 2500 sqft house and purchase a couple of new cars.
3)Spread some of the wealth to the family.
4)Travel while the new house is being built.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2011 06:28 pm
What's interesting with this thread is the fact that while there have been at least 15 respondants who I would argue are "liberal," there is very little discussion of giving away one's lottery winnings.

Presumably those who long for the $100 million plus jackpot would at least request Obama to raise their taxes.

I've made a deal...I will give away, after taxes, 50%. The rest I get to keep.

The first thing I do will be to contact my tax lawyer, and shortly thereafter I will contact a private bodyguard company.

Shortly thereafter I will throw an enormous costume party and provide my guests with the money to buy airline tickets and costumes.
msolga

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2011 09:56 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
What's interesting with this thread is the fact that while there have been at least 15 respondants who I would argue are "liberal," there is very little discussion of giving away one's lottery winnings.

Perhaps that's because we were asked what we would do "right away", Finn.

After response #1 we might just give away quite a bit of the booty. Who needs that much $$$$ anyway?

My response was to double-check that the announcement of my win was genuine, not some sort of hoax. And that's exactly what I would do.
Ceili

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2011 12:56 am
@msolga,
I took it as, what you would do that you can't or don't already do if you won the money. I give to several charities, why would I stop? In fact, because I could afford more, they'd get more.
I also didn't mention I'd buy food or gas, but it was implied.
aidan

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2011 02:04 am
I wouldn't move - I love this house, it's very comfortable and exactly what I need. I might try to buy it if the owner would sell it, but that's part of the reason I moved in here - the owner doesn't want to sell - they want to keep this house as a rental and investment property.
I would never want or need to own more than one house though.

I wouldn't quit my job. I love my job.

I wouldn't even buy a new car - the car I have, though not fancy, is fine.

I guess I'd just put it in the bank and spend it in increments as I saw fit as I do right now- that includes traveling and charitable giving- I guess the only difference is I'd be able to give more than I do right now.

I might be tempted to open a cafe or something and hire people coming out of prison, as that's why recidivism is so high - not many people want to take that risk and give those people a job.
I might build an orphanage in Africa and take leaves of absences to work there.

I can't picture any of the friends or family I have asking me for money. Most of the people I know are self-sufficient and independent souls. If someone offered to give me a big chunk of money, I'd be like 'Very nice of you - but not necessary - give it to someone who needs it.'

So basically, I'd just live the life I live but with a big cushion and the ability to help more people in a bigger way.
As far as my situation goes, I'm happy with what I have.
Seems like 'more' makes people unhappy with what they have and greedy.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2011 09:42 am
@msolga,
Quote:
What's interesting with this thread is the fact that while there have been at least 15 respondants
who I would argue are "liberal," there is very little discussion of giving away one's lottery winnings.
msolga wrote:
Perhaps that's because we were asked what we would do "right away", Finn.

After response #1 we might just give away quite a bit of the booty. Who needs that much $$$$ anyway?
Your question ASSUMES, in error, that there is a question of "needs" in front of us.

It is a question getting MAXIMUM enjoyment from the Good Fortune,
not a matter of "needs".
0 Replies