The case for the FloaterJet

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2011 06:45 am
Everybody's favorite radio plane:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EfomKG7w18&feature=relmfu

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/catalog/AX-cloud.jpg

Ages ago, there were rubber-band aircraft including large ones with multiple strands of Pirelli rubber, and control-line airplanes, but NOBODY could make radio-control work. The planes themselves were made of balsa wood, the radios were basically junky FM devices good mainly for sending airplanes off to Kansas or to the top of some oak tree, and the motors were 2-stroke nightmares running on caster oil and nitro-methane and if nothing else destroyed an airplane that stuff would sooner or later. One way or another you were always talking about spending two or three weeks building one of the things and then getting one or two shots at trying to fly it.

But the hobby turned some sort of a giant corner six or seven years ago. The airplanes now are of EPO foam, light, very tough, and you just glue the pieces together without having to construct them; LIPO batteries and brushless motors, stronger in fact than the old 2-stroke engines; and radios operating at 2.4 gigahertz i.e. an order of magnitude above anything the neighborhood could produce and broadcasting data packets like tcp/ip and locking to a particular receiver/airplane, so the radio system is basically immune.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,692 • Replies: 3
No top replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2011 08:16 am
@gungasnake,
Lots of cool stuff out there now.
gungasnake

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2011 09:44 am
@rosborne979,
The floaterJet/AXN can actually fly in any sort of normal wind, basically all a 20 mph wind can really do to a FloaterJet is slow it down to 60 or 70 mph...
rosborne979

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2011 10:04 am
@gungasnake,
The power to weight ratio on the brushless motors with the new batteries is what amazes me. And the strength to weight ratio on the structural materials isn't too shoddy either.

I like the hexacopters the best for versatility and carrying capacity. But each type of vehicle has its own strengths depending on what you need to use it for.
0 Replies