Perceived deficiency with Apple keyboards

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2011 08:06 pm
As a professional writer of long standing who has recently switched to an iMac from PCs after more than two decades, I am deeply frustrated by the lack of an Insert key on the Apple keyboards I have seen, i.e. I do not have the option of over-writing text. Suggestions?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 2,848 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2011 08:55 pm
@Ken Pole,
Macs don't have an "overtype" mode, if that is what you mean, and they are persistently in the "insert" mode. I happen to agree with that choice because on PCs I only ever turn on overtype mode accidentally and usually become frustrated with it replacing my text but it's one of those Apple things where if you don't like it you have to adapt anyway or switch.

But in case you mean the ability to send an "insert" command that can be accomplished with the fn+enter on most Macs.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2011 08:57 pm
@Ken Pole,
This document on Apple's support site may help you. You don't say which specific keyboard you have so scan down the page and click on the article specific to your keyboard.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1167
rosborne979

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2011 09:00 pm
@Ken Pole,
Just get a different keyboard. I have a Logitech Dinovo Edge and it's great.
Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2011 09:04 pm
@Butrflynet,
That only helps if he's using a Apple keyboard to run Windows on Bootcamp by the way, in OSX there isn't an overtype mode and a different keyboard will not change that.

But I did think of one thing that might help him. Some software on Mac might implement overtype mode separately from the OS. E.g. Word on OSX at least used to (I haven't used Word on a Mac in ages) have a toggle for it at the bottom of the document (the OVR text) that when clicked on would toggle overtype mode vs insert mode.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2011 09:04 pm
@rosborne979,
Does that give you overtype mode when you use the insert key? Or does it just register as the Apple help key?
0 Replies