Liberal rednecks and modern medicine...

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2011 08:00 am
http://www.bostonherald.com/news/opinion/op_ed/view/2011_1202dose_of_reason_eludes_the_left/

Quote:

They refuse to get their kids vaccinated, they are suspicious of fluoridated water and their kids are more likely to be inflicted with ringworm than the average American.

Trailer park rednecks? Nope. America’s bobo elites. Scratch a liberal suburbanite and you’re likely to find the modern equivalent of an Appalachian clay chewer underneath.

This week Fox 25 interviewed Natalie Norton of the Boston YMCA about “the recent resurgence of measles and whooping cough.” Yesterday CBS reported a whooping cough outbreak on Long Island, in the environs of the Hamptons. And on Tuesday the University of California at Berkeley alerted all students, faculty and staff to receive “an additional dose of the measles, mumps, rubella vaccine” due to an outbreak of the mumps.

Not the Tennessee Institute of Over-The-Road Trucking, but elite, liberal Berkeley.

These aren’t oddball anecdotes. The Associated Press reports that the anti-vaccine movement is on the rise, particularly in left-leaning states like Washington, Oregon, Michigan and Vermont. In crunchy-granola Ashland, Ore., health officials are intervening with public education efforts because the rate of immunization has dropped so low.....
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 3,612 • Replies: 34
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2011 08:14 am
My only point of disagreement is that I think it's more common among urban liberals than suburban liberals, and it's equally as common among religious fundamentalists.

Since the autism link has been disproved some people are starting to grudgingly give vaccines but on a different schedule than what is recommended. They rely on the "herd" to protect their kids. What they don't consider is that some kids can't get vaccinated and they are the ones that need to rely on the herd.

Don't even get me started on fluoride! We still don't have fluoridated water here. Every time we're asked to consider it people panic.

On my first trip to the dentist after moving here the dentist knew right away that I wasn't raised here. Not because of my accent but because I still had all my teeth. I was 35!
gungasnake

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2011 10:58 am
@boomerang,
What is latest thinking on autism? I mean that one bowls me over, there was such a thing as autism in 1957, but it was awfully damned rare.
boomerang

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2011 11:19 am
@gungasnake,
I'm pretty sure it was High Seas who once pointed out that there really aren't new diseases but better diagnostics. I think that makes a lot of sense.

The latest research I've read on autism suggests that it is a spontaneous genetic mutations or deletions that exist in either the sperm or the egg so the condition exists from the moment of conception. The research looks promising but who knows....
DrewDad

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2011 12:22 pm
@gungasnake,
The study that linked Autism to vaccines has been completely discredited. The researcher falsified his data.

But it's one of those things where the idea has been planted and it takes forever to dislodge it from people's brains.

Especially with idiots like Jenny McCarthy running around, who are using the FUD to make money on their damn books.
DrewDad

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2011 12:22 pm
@boomerang,
NPR reported last year that that at least one type of autism was traced multiple genetic errors.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2011 03:12 pm
@gungasnake,
It's interesting that the paranoia over government intrusion and ineptitude seems to be spilling over into a group of people who you would normally expect to be friendly to governmental processes.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2011 06:37 pm
@DrewDad,
Quote:
But it's one of those things where the idea has been planted and it takes forever to dislodge it from people's brains....

That's what Hitler said about big lies, i.e. that no matter how thoroughly they were ever debunked, some part of them lived on almost forever and they were damned near impossible to totally kill off.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2011 02:49 am
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:

That's what Hitler said about big lies, i.e. that no matter how thoroughly they were ever debunked, some part of them lived on almost forever and they were damned near impossible to totally kill off.

I don't know when Hitler said so, but that's a common German proverb, already mentioned by the Minnesänger (see: codex manesse) in the 12th century.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2011 05:23 am
@gungasnake,
Yeah; I well remember the flouridation wars that we had in the 1950s or '60s.
I did not want any government tampering with the public water supply,
putting in whatever it decided, with the citizens simply TRUSTING
the damned thing to always be correct.
Where r we supposed to draw the line,
after the principle is established
that government can put drugs into the public water supply ??

We lost that war in NYC.

I always had good teeth.

David
DrewDad

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2011 11:42 am
@OmSigDAVID,
You mean tampering by making sure there's clean, potable water coming out of the taps at all times?

Shocking!
Ceili

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2011 12:14 pm
@boomerang,
Ha! The same thing happened to me when I moved to Vancouver. The dentist had been on a committee trying to bring it to the area for 25 years. He brought in all his staff to look at my teeth.. I thought it was weird at first.

The vaccine thing pisses me off too. We've got all kinds of loons up here, of all political stripes, who refuse to vaccinate their kids as well. I had all the so-called childhood diseases including measles and chickenpox, because their was no vaccine, and I wouldn't wish it them on anyone, even if they didn't have the serious health risks. I don't understand, especially since the "studies" were debunked, why anyone wouldn't protect their children from the potential side effects.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2011 12:21 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:
You mean tampering by making sure there's clean,
potable water coming out of the taps at all times?

Shocking!
No. I mean drugging the public water supply.
parados

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2011 12:22 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

DrewDad wrote:
You mean tampering by making sure there's clean,
potable water coming out of the taps at all times?

Shocking!
No. I mean drugging the public water supply.

Yeah.. we wouldn't want them to put ANY chemicals in our water supply. Those nasty things like Chlorine and Flouride.
Setanta

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2011 02:13 pm
@parados,
You may well laugh, but back in the 50s, the flouridization of water was considered by many conservatives to be a communist plot. There was a lot of loud opposition to putting flouride in water supplies.
parados

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2011 03:01 pm
@Setanta,
I am well aware of that. I am also aware that fluoride is a chemical much like chlorine.

God forbid the gummit put chlorine in our drinking water.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2011 01:47 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
You may well laugh, but back in the 50s, the flouridization of water was considered by many conservatives to be a communist plot. There was a lot of loud opposition to putting flouride in water supplies.
Yeah, I did not believe that it was any communist plot.
I thawt it was a liberal plot to establish a nasty precedent of USURPATION;
i.e., that government can do whatever it damn pleases to the water supply
and WE end up drinking whatever the damned government WANTS!
There was no jurisidiction to drug everyone.

It was NOT America's finest hour.

David
MontereyJack

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2011 03:37 am
So there you go, gunga. The ultraliberal OmSigDavid proves your point.

As does the huge uproar when ultraliberal Governor Rick Perry tried to require HPV vaccine for girls in America's most wild-eyed leftist state Texas.

snicker.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2011 04:02 am
@parados,
As you have probably read by now . . . it's a usurpation--and undoubtedly the thin end of the wedge . . .
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2011 06:08 am
@Setanta,
The thin end of the wedge was when thay told us what we CAN'T ingest
( the "War on Drugs" ). It gets THICKER when thay tell us what we MUST ingest,
if we draw from the public water supply.

What 's next? Tranquilizers, to reduce crime ??
more tranquilizers, to reduce it further ?

David
0 Replies