Anybody have or used a Google Chromebook?

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2011 03:36 pm
Google is putting out it's own OS based netbooks based on the Google Chrome browser operating system. I guess they modeling the manufacturing model after Android smartphones where Google isn't selling the netbook under their own brand but under other companies' brands like Samsung, Acer, etc....
http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=os_chrm_58?&node=2858603011
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,848 • Replies: 5
No top replies

billfwest

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2011 04:01 pm
@tsarstepan,
Yep, I just got the Acer Chromebook. Only has the "Android" Chrome browser. No other apps. Fast. Opens in 8 seconds closes in 2 seconds. I use all of the Google "cloud". Gmail. Google Docs, Picasso, etc. I don't do heavy web or file editing --so Chromebook is all I need except for a phone and texting. I think there might be Chromebook extensions (Skype) for those things as well soon. But wireless only no dial up modem.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2011 07:15 pm
@billfwest,
Thanks Bill and welcome to a2k. Smile
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 11:30 am
Quote:
This time around, Chrome OS (now on version 19, if you're counting) includes a taskbar and a window management style that's much closer to what you'd find in, say, Windows 7.

http://www.csmonitor.com/Innovation/Horizons/2012/0530/Google-Chrome-OS-lives-on-with-big-update-new-hardware
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 11:31 am
What happens when you have no network connection? Is there any offline functionality at all?

Cycloptichorn
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 01:33 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
In that article I just posted today, the programmers of Google Docs are making an offline version so one can still work on documents offline if the internet can't be found.

But as of now, the computer is mostly useless without the internet as I understand the computer.
0 Replies