The Future Result of Dark Energy

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2011 02:46 am
Due to dark energy there is a force that constantly fights gravity in space. So the universe is expanding and accelerating, and currently is 70% empty space.

Does this accelerating expansion mean that there will be more of a percentage of empty space in the future? Or could the expansion of the universe be due to the creation of stars and planets which takes up space and would constantly keep the empty space (dark energy) at 70%? If the expansion is due to the creation of stars and planets that takes up space, then what creates stars and planets out of nothingness, out of empty space?

Please provide quality results
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 1,978 • Replies: 8
No top replies

roger

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2011 03:21 am
@dunndigidy,
Does 70% empty imply 30% full? That's a lot of stuff out there, though I'm not sure of the exact quantity.
dunndigidy

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2011 04:03 am
@roger,
Yes, 70 out of 100 would leave 30% to be matter.
contrex

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2011 04:13 am
@dunndigidy,
dunndigidy wrote:

Yes, 70 out of 100 would leave 30% to be matter.

I see your grasp of mathematics is extensive.
dunndigidy

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2011 04:36 am
@contrex,
haha
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2011 05:25 am
@contrex,
He was just helping my own understanding.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2011 12:12 pm
@dunndigidy,
dunndigidy wrote:
Does this accelerating expansion mean that there will be more of a percentage of empty space in the future?

I believe that is correct.

The expansion is NOT due to the creation of new stars and planets, it is due to expansion of space itself.

The figure of 70% probably refers to the ratio of Dark Energy in comparison to other aspects of the Universe (Dark Matter and Baryonic Matter). But Dark Energy and empty space are not the same thing.
0 Replies

akbmuruhan

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2011 10:31 pm
The expansion of the universe is observed to be accelerating. Physicists imagine some energy that could cause this acceleration and call this energy as dark energy.
However, I suppose that the space is continuously being created, which creation started with big bang. With big bang, physical matter and physical energy and the laws governing them were created. We call the understanding of these created laws as Science. However, this science does not understand why and how these were created.
In this line, if the space is created at an accelerated pace, this science does not understand it. I suppose, attributing a physical energy to this acceleration is wrong. It is the very act of creation.
0 Replies

Blackdranzer

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2012 09:39 pm
@dunndigidy,
Well the universe will continue to expand ...as it expands the temperature of CMB goes on decreasing( currently it is 2.3 k)...but we know that a temperature of 0 k is not possible...so just when the temperature of the CMB becomes 0k the universe stops expanding( big freeze)....dont know wat happens after that....
0 Replies