NBA union dissolves

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2011 03:25 pm
So, why can't the NBA, now that the NBPA has dissolved so players can sue the NBA, now hire all the people that would enjoy playing basketball at a more reasonable wage, say $750,00?

Seems like the players are shooting themselves in the ass on this one.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,327 • Replies: 2
No top replies

engineer

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2011 03:47 pm
@McGentrix,
Because if fans want to see people who just enjoy playing basketball and are reasonably competent, they could watch college ball. Fans watch pros to see people who are insanely skilled and owners know that people aren't going to pay big dollars for tickets and merchandise for a cut rate product.

I think both groups are "shooting themselves in the ass". The players are giving up millions and the shelf live of a basketball player isn't long enough to blow off a year of earnings. (On the other hand, after the first few million what are you going to do with it?) The owners are looking at a investments of close to half a billion dollars that instead of generating $100+ million in revenue is instead bleeding cash just to maintain overhead. The fans are looking at millionaires fighting with billionaires and wondering way they bother with the sport. It seems like a compromise should be available given that just keeping the status quo is a win for both sides.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2011 04:49 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

So, why can't the NBA, now that the NBPA has dissolved so players can sue the NBA, now hire all the people that would enjoy playing basketball at a more reasonable wage, say $750,00?

The last time I paid any attention to labor law or antitrust law was in law school, so this is well outside the area of my expertise, but I think the answer is: "it can." Since the labor agreement has expired and the players union is no longer the collective bargaining unit for the NBA, I don't see any reason why the teams can't go out and start hiring players -- including players who previously belonged to the union.
0 Replies