Good/Great/Fascinating Books on Film.

dlowan

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2004 02:30 am
We seem to have some real film buffs here, and many very knowledgeable folk.

What do you consider to be the essential books to read about films - or the best recent ones - or the fascinating and fabulous classics?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,176 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Letty

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2004 11:00 am
Hey, Deb. Long ago I read a book called The Magic Lantern. It was about the beginnings of the film industry. I tried finding it on google with no luck. As I recall, it was fiction, but I'm not certain, now. If you have any luck, let me know, because I am anxious to refresh my mind.
0 Replies

John Garvey

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2004 01:28 pm
Everything Pauline Kael ever wrote
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2004 01:35 pm
Ebert's "Book of Film" offers essays by many filmmakers, critic and historians including Truffaut and Kael.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2004 04:30 pm
I am not a film buff in the league of some on A2K. I have always loved, "The Art of Alfred Hitchcock", by Donald Spoto.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2004 05:08 pm
Thanks folks - it's all going in the portal - so keep 'em coming!
0 Replies

thiefoflight

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2004 06:29 pm
If you're looking for reference books I "Leonard Maltin's video and Film Guide", Halliwell's Film and Video Guide" and any of the "Video Hound Guides, I use them all because I find if you can't find a film listed in one it's probably listed in one of the others
Other books I like are: "Agee on Film" by James Agee, "The Name Above the Title:An Autobiography" by Frank Capra, "A Short History of The Movies"by Gerald Mast, "Matinee Idylls" by Richard Schickel. They all deal with older films, I'm embarassed to admit that I haven't read much lately that covers any films newer than the 70's.
0 Replies

tagged lyricist

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2004 06:46 pm
Theres a book called "Movie making: Master Classes" it's great, it's got interviews with master directors on how they make Movies from Woody Allen to Pedro Amaldovar. Great book.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 07:38 am
Letty wrote:
Hey, Deb. Long ago I read a book called The Magic Lantern. It was about the beginnings of the film industry. I tried finding it on google with no luck. As I recall, it was fiction, but I'm not certain, now. If you have any luck, let me know, because I am anxious to refresh my mind.

Letty, it MAY be The Magic Lantern by Robert Carson?

I found it on Amazon - but there is no hint of what it is about.

If you care to follow up, and you feel like reviewing the book, it would be great - I was hoping to use it for the portal, but cannot, since it does not tell me what it is about nor what it is like!
0 Replies