Where are all the churches in the mist of this?

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2011 06:36 pm
Why is it that I see non religious groups helping people being thrown out of their homes and not churches? Have most of the churches forgotten what it means to be a Christian?

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 10,514 • Replies: 46

engineer

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2011 07:42 pm
@reasoning logic,
Churches around here do that every week, fifty two weeks a year so I guess it isn't big news.
reasoning logic

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2011 08:04 pm
@engineer,
The churches around you are helping to stop foreclosures in your neighborhood? Must be nice!
Maybe you could make a video of your churches doing this and put it on YouTube so that the churches in other areas can see how it is done!
Setanta

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2011 02:03 am
Midst . . . the word you wanted was midst. Get a ******* education and then come back to talk to us.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2011 04:09 am
@Setanta,
He may have been referring to the fog that obscures his thought processes.
Setanta

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2011 04:37 am
@izzythepush,
That would be a refreshing and unexpected candor.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2011 06:08 am
@Setanta,
Also, quite logical.
reasoning logic

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2011 07:30 am
@izzythepush,
My main interest is human behavior and I do have to admit, I do get a good amount of psychopathic [anti Christian} responses to study around hear!
Many OCPD's as well!
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2011 07:34 am
@Setanta,
My favorite emotional subject knows how to spell imagine that! Wink
Setanta

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2011 07:48 am
@reasoning logic,
What is a favorite of yours is to allege emotion rather than to actually do the work of defending the drivel you habitually post.
reasoning logic

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2011 07:56 am
@Setanta,
Be intellectually honest with yourself! Do you think that it takes someone who studies human behavior to notice an emotional person or is it obvious for most people?
People cry out in many ways!
Setanta

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2011 08:01 am
@reasoning logic,
It only requires an idiot to believe that she can detect emotion in a computer's monitor.

EDIT: If you were intellectually honest, you'd acknowledge that describing someone who has criticized you as emotional is a means of avoiding the criticism, and portraying one's interlocutor as emotional and therefore less reasonable. If you were being honest, you'd acknowledge that you are rarely, if ever, prepared to defend a point of view. You'd rather just run around picking up videos which are emotive and tendentious, but which, like you yourself, say nothing. That's far easier than actually creating and being prepared to defend a piont of view.

Be honest, and employ, for once in your sad career here, some reason and some logic.
reasoning logic

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2011 08:11 am
@Setanta,
Do you think that if I was an English major I would have a better understanding of emotional language?

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2011 08:15 am
Two straw man fallacies in a row. I did not state or suggest that you should be "an Englihs major." I am completely indifferent to what you pompously refer to as "the language of emotion." My point, which you would do anything to avoid, is that making an error as basic and stupid as confusing mist and midst seriously injures your credibility. But that's your problem to deal with, not mine. Be assured that apart from suggsting that you educate yourself, i am indifferent to your future.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2011 08:23 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

EDIT: If you were intellectually honest, you'd acknowledge that describing someone who has criticized you as emotional is a means of avoiding the criticism, and portraying one's interlocutor as emotional and therefore less reasonable. If you were being honest, you'd acknowledge that you are rarely, if ever, prepared to defend a point of view. You'd rather just run around picking up videos which are emotive and tendentious, but which, like you yourself, say nothing. That's far easier than actually creating and being prepared to defend a piont of view.

That bears repeating.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2011 08:24 am
@Setanta,
Having an adolescent attitude is not what I would consider being educated nor will you find me going into an in-depth debate with someone who defends such an attitude!
gungasnake

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2011 08:30 am
@reasoning logic,
Quote:
Why is it that I see non religious groups helping people being thrown out of their homes and not churches? Have most of the churches forgotten what it means to be a Christian?..

I can't speak for churches, but most of my own charitable giving goes overseas and much of that should not be necessary and would not be necessary if we had any sort of a real government. In other words, the United States is still basically a Christian nation but nobody would ever guess that from observing the activities of our government and governing "elites".

One example would be refugees from the grief in the Sudan. I assume we still own a few of the old type submarines which fire torpedoes and sink ships. It might occur to a real US government to park one or two of those offshore of Sudan and tell the lunatics running that place that nobody was going to load oil anywhere close to there so long as Christians and/or other non-muslim Africans were being persecuted there.

Many of those people are being persecuted to the point of not being able to plan more than a day ahead; it's easier to feel sorry for them than for people put into houses they basically can't afford by WallStreet banks, the rogue demoKKKrat party seeking to buy votes, Dodd, Frank, Freddie, Fannie, and "community organizers(TM)" like Bork Obunga who was being paid a couple thousand a head for facilitating that process.

Then you get places like Serbia which got bombed for eighty days and nights to take rape allegations and Chinagate off the front pages of American newspapers. Far from trying to help anything, our feral government CAUSED all of that **** and, again, those people rate a bit higher for charitable giving than people involved in Freddie/Fannie/Dodd/Frank/Obunga do.

reasoning logic

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2011 10:35 am
@gungasnake,
Quote:
the rogue demoKKKrat party seeking to buy votes,

Quote:
like Bork Obunga

Do you learn language like this at church?

Both parties are doing things that are extremely detrimental to society from my observations.

Do you think that wall street is hurting from the actions of Freddie or Fannie?

Have you considered studying political science {not political engineering} and economics?

reasoning logic

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2011 10:50 am
@Setanta,
Everyone makes mistakes!

Quote:
an Englihs major.

Do you have spell check?

0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2011 11:34 am
@reasoning logic,
Quote:
Why is it that I see non religious groups helping people being thrown out of their homes and not churches? Have most of the churches forgotten what it means to be a Christian?

Some churches help, some don't. It varies from one to another, and not just in a particular segment. In other words, some Methodists help, some do not, some Catholics reach out, some shove people off their steps. Same with Presbyterian, Episcopalian, and down the line.

A prime example which I have never forgotten, was the Methodist minister who told me how he was with a group of people and they were all settled at the table to eat their sandwiches.

A man came to the church door, expressed that he was hungry and asked if the minister could give him a bite to eat. The minister refused.

As he told me later, they only had one sandwich for each person there. He of course had a full pantry of food at home and a filled up refrigerator as well, along with money in his pocket to get food. When I expressed my anger for his having refused a man a simple sandwich, he whined that he couldn't feed everyone that came to the door. He then admitted nobody else had ever before asked him for a sandwich or any other food item. The Bible which he could easily quote told of the story of feeding the hungry, clothing the naked, etc. and how Jesus had told the people that as much as they had done it for another they had done it for him. I explained to the hypocritical minister that by not feeding the man he had betrayed his exalted savior, Lord Jesus. He didn't blink and I decided I'd had enough of the church and left.

In following years, I went occasionally to other churches, but could never again believe in any of them. I even attended another Methodist church which reached out far more to the community and had a minister who would give his sandwich to a person in need. As I said, each person is different and each house of God is different.

Even those that do things, often publicize their actions as if to make them seem grand and oh so much better than the others. There are those that help and don't seek accolades, and many churches, religious organizations have helped people in many ways, it's all a matter of which one you arrive at and who is there and in charge. There are also churches which don't have the great financial resources to pay mortgages of the soon to be evicted...each church is different.