Newbie pasta making questions

Dave T

Sat 12 Nov, 2011 04:45 pm
One more thing - regarding dough recipes - has anyone experimented with mixing semolina flour with AP flour? I think the semolina is supposed to help make the dough stiffer (higher gluten content), and thus would be helpful to prevent sticking. My recipe is half semolina, though - and I still have sticking.
izzythepush

Sun 13 Nov, 2011 03:49 am
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

Rice noodles . ptui...(sorry editorial comment). Soba is not Greek.

No, Zorba's the Greek.
Ragman

Sun 13 Nov, 2011 06:48 am
@izzythepush,
Never On Sunday (singing)
izzythepush

Sun 13 Nov, 2011 06:57 am
@Ragman,
I did visit the museum dedicated to Nikos Kazantzakis when I was on holiday in Crete, and a jolly good time was had by one and all.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Sun 13 Nov, 2011 07:33 am
@Dave T,
The fellow in the video Mame gave the link for in the last page uses half semolina.

I've not tried it since I use the semolina I have for bread (it's pricey at my closest grocery stores), and since I'm happy enough with my fettucine with regular unbleached flour.
0 Replies

Mame

Sun 13 Nov, 2011 07:39 am
Anyway, Dave, I think we've exhausted our advice so you should watch some youtube videos or google the question.

Edit: For example:

http://www.cheftalk.com/t/37768/how-do-you-keep-fresh-pasta-from-sticking-together

Easy. You can do it, I know you can. (google, I mean)
0 Replies

Dave T

Sun 20 Nov, 2011 03:58 pm
Just tried it again, making spaghetti with my Marcado pasta maker. I used one of ossobuco's recipes - just AP flour (no semolina), and a lot more eggs than I have used before. The dough came out great (thanks!), but I still have problems with sticking. I tried drying the sheets for varying amounts of time before putting through the pasta rollers (that sounded promising), but no matter what I do - every other strand of spaghetti is stuck together. I think I've invented a new type of pasta - duo-getti! I'm starting to think that there's something wrong with my spaghetti rollers. Every "pair" of strands is perfectly seperate - so that would indicate that there isn't really a sticking problem with the dough itself. It's just that the rollers only cut every other strand.

Does this sound feasible? Anyone know of how I can contact Marcado for advice on this? I can't find any way to reach them...

- Dave
ossobuco

Tue 10 Jan, 2012 01:43 pm
@Dave T,
Sorry, I missed this reply, Dave. I'll nose around the web or the Marcato box I still have and see if I find how to do that.

Adds, I've just reread the thread quickly - a bunch of folks use some olive oil in the dough, which I've never tried. The one who uses most, by far, is Lydia Bastianich (or is it Lidia?)
ossobuco

Tue 10 Jan, 2012 01:58 pm
@ossobuco,
Ok, the email is [email protected]

Their website is http://www.marcato.net/
It's in italian, but just click on translate, italian to english.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Thu 22 Jan, 2015 06:52 pm
Listening..
0 Replies