Furniture maintenance

kethlin

Wed 2 Nov, 2011 04:00 am
# The simplest way of maintaining furniture is to use it carefully and keep it clean.
# Wooden furniture should be cleaned only when there is a build up of wax or dirt.
# Unfinished wood, painted wood and wood with sturdy finish should be cleaned regularly.
# The finish on giltwood is water soluble therefore it should be dusted and not cleaned. A professional should clean it.
# Before cleaning wood, decide whether the surface is stable enough to use a cleaning or polishing agent. As the cleaning agent can damage some surfaces. If the surface is damage to begin with then give the furniture to a conservator.
# Find out what kind of dirt has settled on the furniture and what kind of surface the piece has. The simplest thing to do is to find out what will remove the dirt without damaging the surface.
# Loose dust can be easily removed with lint-free cloth by gently wipe the surface of the furniture with this cloth. Dust can be removed by wiping with a damp cloth. Dust can scratch the surface therefore work carefully. To dust carved surfaces use a soft natural bristle brush. Do not use a feather duster, as it will scratch the surface.
# If the surface condition is good then you can use a vacuum cleaner to remove dust. But do not let the metal and plastic parts of the vacuum cleaner drag over the surface you are cleaning, as it will result in scratches.
# Wax, oil and other dirt, that has built up on the furniture can be removed by using mineral spirit, naphtha or paint thinner. You will have to find out which solvent removes the dirt. For this, dip cotton ball in the solvent and apply on a small area of the furniture that is not visible to the eye. If there is no damage to the surface then you can use the solvent. Use diluted solvent.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 131 • Views: 23,097 • Replies: 79
Topic Closed
No top replies

Karlpt

Mon 13 Aug, 2012 12:14 pm
@kethlin,
I agree with all these factors. Home furniture is main decoration of house. So one should always keep it neat and clean.
Prince Josef

Sat 18 Aug, 2012 02:28 am
@Karlpt,
I also agreed your views Thanks
0 Replies

johnmcclane123

Wed 22 Aug, 2012 03:55 am
@kethlin,
thanks for sharing this information . i will follow them to make my home shinning..
Michael Wilson

Tue 28 Aug, 2012 10:39 am
@johnmcclane123,
Hello guys

To maintain the finish, mild dish soap is recommended for cleaning up after spills, just as you would clean woodwork. Vinegar can also be used. If a mild abrasive is needed, baking soda toothpaste works well when applied with a soft damp cloth. For additional protection, there are many products on the market., and some are hazardous to your furniture's health. Cleaners such as Pledge and Murphy. Oil Soap are not recommended because they leave a dull residue on the finish. Never use products containing ammonia on water base finishes. Polishes such orange oil work well for routine maintenance.

Thanks for sharing
Michael Wilson
0 Replies

nestork

Sun 2 Sep, 2012 10:59 pm
@kethlin,
Kethlin: I was skimming through your list when I came to the last point, repeated here:

# Wax, oil and other dirt, that has built up on the furniture can be removed by using mineral spirit, naphtha or paint thinner. You will have to find out which solvent removes the dirt. For this, dip cotton ball in the solvent and apply on a small area of the furniture that is not visible to the eye. If there is no damage to the surface then you can use the solvent. Use diluted solvent.

A few points:

1. Mineral spirits IS normally what paint thinner is made of. The only difference between a plastic jug labelled "mineral spirits" and one labelled "paint thinner", is that as soon as a company labels their product "paint thinner", it gives them the artistic freedom to put whatever they think might help thin paint in that product. Mineral spirits are recognized to be petroleum distillates, but there's no recognized standard as to what "Paint Thinner" is, and so paint thinner could contain anything from acetone to turpentine and still be sold as "paint thinner".

2. What is diluted solvent? Let's say I determine that mineral spirits will in fact remove the cooking oil film from my varnished wooden kitchen cupboards. What would I use to dilute the mineral spirits? Ditto for naptha. If I found that naptha worked well to remove the dirt from my Steinway grand piano, what would I add to the naptha to dilute it? Anything other than naptha would be a different chemical than naptha, and the diluent might harm the finish on my Steinway. You can't dilute a solvent like mineral spirits with water cuz the two don't mix.
roger

Sun 2 Sep, 2012 11:05 pm
@nestork,
Good points on diluting the solvents, since solvents are often used to dilute other compounds. That slipped right by me.
0 Replies

Karlpt

Tue 4 Sep, 2012 12:09 pm
@kethlin,
Yes these are god factors and welcome. You know where to buy good home furniture. Actually i need it for my new house.
0 Replies

arturoi

Thu 13 Dec, 2012 02:23 am
@kethlin,
Very good post. It will be helpful to protect all types of furniture. Thanks for sharing this.
0 Replies

nothingtodo

Fri 28 Dec, 2012 04:39 am
@kethlin,
Blackboard paint will finish anything, but do not use a cloth you like to clean it.

Not everyone wants to be Ikea friendly, some old 'crap' just requires a fettle.
Sand and re-apply over the years, lovely matt finish... Like your Ikea stuff.
0 Replies

millerdavid786

Sun 3 Mar, 2013 11:48 pm
@kethlin,
i fully agree with you..... kethlin ! i love my home and i should follow these all suggestion you have mentioned... keep it up
0 Replies

Amanda Dawson

Sat 16 Mar, 2013 04:26 am
@kethlin,
Great post! There is a wide array of furniture of different materials to choose from. Each material requires a different kind of cleaning method. To help you care for your furniture properly, here are some wonderful tips to keep in mind.
0 Replies

BaronDavis

Mon 18 Mar, 2013 01:39 am
@kethlin,
Hello Members,

Furniture manufacturers today utilize a variety of materials and specialized finishes on indoor and outdoor furniture designed to protect the furniture during regular use. Cleaners, waxes and polishes are available to help protect the finish on all of your furniture from scratches and abrasions. Cleaning and polishing your furniture should be done on a regular basis. Dust attracts moisture, which can accumulate and soften the finish on your furniture. This can lead to further damage, possibly to the wood itself. There are a variety of furniture care products readily available at most department stores, hardware centers and even in supermarkets. Regular care and maintenance will give you the years or satisfaction that you expected when purchasing your home furnishings.

Best Regards,
Baron Davis
0 Replies

nicolouspattinson

Thu 11 Apr, 2013 01:41 am
Thanx for sharing valuable Information that will helpus to clean our furniture. keep share your ideas with us.
0 Replies

rickmartin

Wed 17 Apr, 2013 12:08 am
@kethlin,
Furniture manufacturers today utilize a wide range of materials and specific completes on inside and furniture designed to secure the item of furniture during frequent use.What can you do to secure the complete on your furniture? Cleaning solutions, waxes and shines are available to help secure the complete on all of your furniture from scrapes and cuts.Cleaning and improving your furniture should be done regularly. Dust draws wetness, which can acquire and ease the complete on your furniture. This can lead to further damage, possibly to the wood itself.There are a wide range of furniture maintenance systems readily available at most retail stores, components centers and even in markets. Regular maintenance and proper care will give you the years or fulfillment that you expected when purchasing your furniture.
0 Replies

richardtale

Thu 18 Apr, 2013 10:34 pm
Thanks for the post its really very helpful.
0 Replies

PaulYoung

Fri 21 Jun, 2013 12:17 am
@kethlin,
Hey the post is simply interesting. The tips stated in it for cleaning the wooden furniture are really very helpful as the wooden table is very much prone to stains and dirt. Keeping the furniture clean is very important as they contribute a lot to the looks of a place. Thanks for the post......
0 Replies

Angelahynes

Mon 26 Aug, 2013 05:24 am
@kethlin,
Nice post, Thank you for sharing your views with us.
0 Replies

johncuttsrta

Wed 2 Oct, 2013 11:11 pm
Great post.
Thanks for the some idea .
When developing a preservation plan for your antique furniture, furniture paste wax is a useful tool in reducing wear and detouring effects from the elements. It is not the definitive factor that makes up a successful furniture care plan. Remember, wood is a natural substance and reacts to environmental changes. Light and humidity are two other factors that must be considered. Their affects on furniture can be devastating.

0 Replies

johncuttsrta

Fri 4 Oct, 2013 02:33 am
The simplest way of maintaining furniture is to use it carefully and keep it clean.
Thanks
0 Replies