Halloween Candy Corn history

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2011 10:47 am
Candy corn is a confection in the United States and Canada, popular primarily in autumn around Halloween (though available year-round in most places). Candy corn was created in the 1880s by George Renninger of the Wunderle Candy Company; the three colors of the candy mimic the appearance of kernels of corn. Each piece is approximately three times the size of a whole kernel from a ripe or dried ear. Candy corn is made primarily from sugar, corn syrup, artificial coloring and binders. A serving of Brach's Candy Corn is nineteen pieces, is 140 calories and has zero grams of fat. Candy corn pieces are traditionally cast in three colors: a broad yellow end, a tapered orange center, and a pointed white tip.

The National Confectioners Association estimates that 20 million pounds (over 9000 tons) of candy corn are sold annually. The top branded retailer of candy corn, Brach's, sells enough candy corn each year to circle the earth 4.25 times if the kernels were laid end to end.

Production

Originally the candy was made by hand.[5] Manufacturers first combined sugar, corn syrup, wax, and water and cooked them to form a slurry. Fondant was added for texture and marshmallows were added to provide a soft bite. The final mixture was then heated and poured into shaped molds. Three passes, one for each colored section, were required during the pouring process.

The recipe remains basically the same today. The production method, called "corn starch modeling," likewise remains the same, though tasks initially performed by hand were soon taken over by machines invented for the purpose.

Variants

A popular variation called "Indian corn" features a chocolate brown wide end, orange center and pointed white tip, often available around Thanksgiving. Confectioners have introduced additional color variations suited to other holidays. The Christmas variant (sometimes called "reindeer corn") typically has a red end and a green center; the Valentine's Day variant (sometimes called "cupid corn") typically has a red end and a pink center; the Easter variant (sometimes called "bunny corn") is typically only a two-color candy, and comes with a variety of pastel bases (pink, green, yellow, and purple) with white tips all in one package.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 16 • Views: 4,453 • Replies: 21

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2011 11:01 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Love candy corn as a seasonal candy. Eat bags of it every year. In fact, I need yo run a few errands and will get a bag or two while I'm out.
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2011 11:19 am
@tsarstepan,
Well, I can't run, but I will try to walk carefully.

BBB
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2011 11:22 am
Always hated it.
Found it tasteless.
Only the cheapest houses gave it out.
We tossed it on the ground, but no bird or squirrel would eat it either.
(we had no rats or mice in my neighborhood, that would be interesting to observe.)

Chocolate, my friends and I wanted, and chocolate we mostly got.

Joe(http://media1.candyaddict.com/items/www.oldtimecandy.com/130/assets-images-singles-hershey_miniatures.jpg)Nation
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2011 01:42 pm
Home made stuff, such as popcorn balls were very popular when I was a kid. I accepted it all, with no reservations. Didn't have a care that it might be poisoned or otherwise contaminated. Also got TootsieRolls. I did not really like TootsieRolls, but, sugar is sugar, ultimately. Fleers Double Bubble Gum, with the "funny" comics also.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2011 06:29 pm
http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/309642_311924828823428_254896167859628_1499256_668031657_n.jpg
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2011 06:49 pm
@Ceili,
You're truly evil Ceili! Sad Disparaging such a tasty candy as candy corn. I just hope this image doesn't keep popping up in my mind as I shovel a handful of the candy I get on the massive discount this coming Tuesday. Razz
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2011 06:50 pm
I believe Ceili's version. Just thinking about them make my teeth ache. Like Joe, they were not desirable and I mostly remember my brothers using them to pelt other kids.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2011 08:00 pm
@Joe Nation,
Me too. The flavors in candy corn make me want to gag. Never have liked it.
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2011 08:04 pm
@Butrflynet,
Candy corn is like fine wine... You just need a sophisticated palate like mine to truly appreciate it Butrfly. Razz
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2011 08:30 pm
@tsarstepan,
I can't believe anyone likes candy corn.

It is the only candy worse than Peeps.

roger

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2011 11:24 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I think they are both intended as decorations.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2011 11:36 pm
@Joe Nation,
Quote:
Only the cheapest houses gave it out.

Agreed.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2011 06:04 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
peeps are great when hardened like acrylic foam. Candy corn just sucks a weiner.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2011 06:08 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
fondant makes all those cakes appear creative. Its too bad you wouldnt wanna eat em. Whenever I see one of those cake shows I wonder whether people give a **** after all those dirty hands assemble the cake and paw the fondant?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2011 06:38 am
What do you people have against corn syrup?
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2011 06:43 am
i was shocked to see Easter corn in the local Bulk Barn last spring (the traditional orange part of the corn was pink, can't remember what colour the white bit was)

too waxy for my liking
wayne

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2011 06:45 am
Candy Corn makes pretty good ammo for your slingshot.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2011 09:24 am
@tsarstepan,
"Candy corn is like fine wine."
yes.
Butterflynet and I will meet you anywhere you choose.
We will sip several bottles of fine wine.

You will munch on several handfuls of Candy Corn. (as much as you want.)

and water.

Joe(cheers)Nation
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2011 09:31 am
Candy corn hurts the throat.
0 Replies