Subliminal0

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2011 11:56 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
He had no feelings for his wife so divorcing her is plain logic. A lack of emotions does not remove reasoning. To say he 'expressed a desire' does not mean emotion. I bet he wants food for supper too, but that's not an emotion, is it? Wanting something isn't one that I know of.

'How do you feel, Jeff?'
'I feel pretty want today.'
'I feel pretty preference today.'

Ehm.. doesn't sound like an emotion. I don't think preference is an emotion either. Someone can prefer a sweet food over a salty food because that's what their body is craving. There's really no emotional connection to that. It's primal. The body usually craves what it is lacking, such as things rich with vitamins or salt. Some people would rather take the elevator than the stairs because it takes less time. A lot of preferences are based on logic, not emotion.

Besides that, it was Bredy's wording. The documentary could have said that he decided to divorce his wife because he didn't have an emotional connection anymore [logic], not that he "expressed a desire to". I suppose you could take it literally, but Bredy's a secondary source. Viewing the primary source may help you gain more insight than Bredy's summary.
0 Replies

Subliminal0

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2011 12:08 am
@Subliminal0,
Here is a secondary source I found for the accident the man had: http://www.thefreelibrary.com/THE+MAN+WHO+CAN%27T+LOVE%3b+A+car+accident+wiped+out+the+feelings+for+my...-a0128839095

It has direct quotes so you can see how his emotions have stopped working. For me, the most striking quote is comparing his wife to the furniture. For 15 years he has been with her, loved her unconditionally, and yet now he feels nothing for her. Brain damage can remove emotions, so to think it can remove every emotion is not far fetched if it is extensive enough.

I also have to point out that it is common enough to have a diagnosis with a name. Losing emotion due to brain damage is not an unheard of occurrence in the medical field.
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2011 08:44 am
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:
G, someone I care a lot about has an autistic child.

I would appreciate any light you wish to shed on the subject...

I think MonaLeeza is much better prepared to shed light.

My guy only has some of the symptoms on the spectrum. But for what it's
worth, here's what's helped in our particular case.

* Face the fact that this is the way it is. There will pobably be no cure in
our lifetime. He's not going to "get better." This is very hard to do. But,
on the other hand, never abandon hope completely. I know that sounds
like a contradiction, but it isn't.

* Learn to filter out the noise and static that are part of his disability in
order to let the person come out. Here's another contradiction: accept
that the noise and static are part of the package.

* Reading and research. In our case, his mother is the one who
tirelessly seeks out new information. She reads whatever she can find;
she talks with other parents.

* The kindness of others. There are an amazing number of folks out
there who want to help. Some are part of public programs, some are
private. Take what help you can get and ask them if they know of
other programs.

* This is your life. Because of this, your life just isn't going to be the
way you always thought it would be. But it can be fulfilling and
rewarding as well as demanding. Think of it as a great trust.

Anyway, tell your friend someone else is thinking about them,
understands at least a little bit and wishes them the best.
And is sending "positive thoughts".
MonaLeeza

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2011 04:50 pm
@George,
Quote:
Face the fact that this is the way it is. There will pobably be no cure in
our lifetime. He's not going to "get better." This is very hard to do. But,
on the other hand, never abandon hope completely. I know that sounds
like a contradiction, but it isn't.

You might find this essay interesting - it pretty much reflects my feelings about my son's autism. I do acknowledge though that the author is obviously high-functioning and that people at the other end of the spectrum (and their families) might feel very differently about their autism - if they were able to articulate it at all. My son is somewhere in the middle. He has language - though it's still not perfect - and he is generally a very happy person. We're finding as he's gotten older that his intellectual limitations are more of an issue than more typically autistic 'symptoms' which have lessened as he's grown up.

http://www.autreat.com/dont_mourn.html
George

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2011 08:16 pm
@MonaLeeza,
Wow, that's wonderful. Thank you.

Have you read The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time?
MonaLeeza

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2011 11:03 pm
@George,
No, I've heard of it but I haven't read it. When my son was first diagnosed I used to read whatever I could get my hands on about autism but I don't tend to these days.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2011 10:30 am
@MonaLeeza,
I've read a fair amount of Oliver Sacks writing, but, having no brain myself, forget which book was about what content.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2011 12:27 pm
@ossobuco,
An Anthropologist From Mars by Oliver Sacks

The title story is about Temple Grandin an expert in the behavior of large animals who happens to be autistic.

I recently saw an HBO film about Grandin which starred Claire Danes, and was based on her book Thinking in Pictures.

I'm in no way, shape or form an expert when it comes to autism, but I liked the film and thought Danes did a great job acting the part.

Dr. Grandin has an interesting website: http://www.templegrandin.com/
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2011 02:04 pm
Quote:
WELCOME TO HOLLAND

by
Emily Perl Kingsley.

c1987 by Emily Perl Kingsley. All rights reserved

I am often asked to describe the experience of raising a child with a disability - to try to help people who have not shared that unique experience to understand it, to imagine how it would feel. It's like this......

When you're going to have a baby, it's like planning a fabulous vacation trip - to Italy. You buy a bunch of guide books and make your wonderful plans. The Coliseum. The Michelangelo David. The gondolas in Venice. You may learn some handy phrases in Italian. It's all very exciting.

After months of eager anticipation, the day finally arrives. You pack your bags and off you go. Several hours later, the plane lands. The stewardess comes in and says, "Welcome to Holland."

"Holland?!?" you say. "What do you mean Holland?? I signed up for Italy! I'm supposed to be in Italy. All my life I've dreamed of going to Italy."

But there's been a change in the flight plan. They've landed in Holland and there you must stay.

The important thing is that they haven't taken you to a horrible, disgusting, filthy place, full of pestilence, famine and disease. It's just a different place.

So you must go out and buy new guide books. And you must learn a whole new language. And you will meet a whole new group of people you would never have met.

It's just a different place. It's slower-paced than Italy, less flashy than Italy. But after you've been there for a while and you catch your breath, you look around.... and you begin to notice that Holland has windmills....and Holland has tulips. Holland even has Rembrandts.

But everyone you know is busy coming and going from Italy... and they're all bragging about what a wonderful time they had there. And for the rest of your life, you will say "Yes, that's where I was supposed to go. That's what I had planned."

And the pain of that will never, ever, ever, ever go away... because the loss of that dream is a very very significant loss.

But... if you spend your life mourning the fact that you didn't get to Italy, you may never be free to enjoy the very special, the very lovely things ... about Holland.
0 Replies

OutcastLB

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2014 01:01 am
@Subliminal0,
I know that many might say it's not possible or something like that, and not to be rude for I will use myself as an example. When I was born I could feel happiness, sadness or whatever emotion, but now I don't. It started out very slow, but somehow my mind started preparing to cope with it. For a while I could only feel negative emotions, but the I lost all of them. Now I could laugh, smile and cry all I want, but not feel a thing. As in physical pain, I can feel, but emotional pain is a whole different thing I can't feel.

I could be staring at something that would be sad to you and others, but nit feel the emotion. I somethings find myself crying and don't even know why. However, I do feel something heavy in my chest, but that is all. I still act and sound like I do feel emotions because I did before, but can't anymore, which 'confuses' me quite a bit. You could study me for hours at a time and not even tell I'm emotionless, and not many people know I am.

I hope this answered your question.
0 Replies

anonymously99

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2014 01:37 am
@Subliminal0,
It could extend.

And yes. It is possible to be emotionless. That thing called depression. It can rob a person of their emotions.

Have this friend. She will experience all of these emotions at a given time about something not taking place at the given moment. But then when something occurs at a given moment she feels nothing. She's had this problem her entire life. What does that tell you.

I can't find anyone to understand as mentioned.
0 Replies

sandy kamote

Reply Sun 19 Apr, 2015 10:19 am
I wonder what its case called thought?? If its not an autism?? What is it??

Hoping for your reply. For i am having my research about such thing. Thank u
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 05:33:09