What is greed?

One Eyed Mind

Tue 16 Sep, 2014 12:00 am
@JLNobody,
The force is transcendent - I'm talking about the same thing, but I'm taking Nietzsche's illustration of this transcendence to a scientific level - at least, it can be if people stopped acting like their human experience is independent from the Universe's experience, when everything "human" can be followed back to the Universe's laws and physics.

Every time I see a human being - I don't even see "human being". I just see a creation of the Universe that's living through the Universe's experience. I see how people touch things exactly like the jellyfish touches space - and our fingers can charge up electricity like a jelly fish - there's so much profound knowledge that is being missed because people live in their small little worlds; they refuse to pop the bubble, to witness the sea that engulfs them; the oceanic mirror that stares back at them via electromagnetic waves, vibrations, frequencies and energy.
OmSigDAVID

Tue 16 Sep, 2014 11:57 am
David Wilson wrote:
Greed is the reason why you find no satisfaction even after you acquire it. A greedy person is preoccupied with his greed from the moment he wakes up until he goes to bed at night. That is called greed. From the moment he wakes up he is driven by his greed; he does not even stop to relax. He does not have the time to laugh. He is consumed with his greed the whole day long. The moment he enters the market, his greed is there. Greed, greed, greed and greed. He roams around in this way the whole day long, in vain. When he goes to the market, he knows exactly where the vegetables are expensive and where to find cheap ones. He then heads for the stall that sells cheaper vegetables every time.
Is there anything redundantly repetitive in that post???

David
0 Replies

JLNobody

Tue 16 Sep, 2014 03:01 pm
@One Eyed Mind,
I agree in the sense that I intuit (vaguely but deeply) what the Hindus suggest: that we are all Atmans contributing to (in the sense that we are the "eyes" of) Brahman's awareness. In our partial and individual contributions we make up the universal (and Divine) Whole.
I would never argue for this position; I only share it.
One Eyed Mind

Tue 16 Sep, 2014 05:55 pm
@JLNobody,
Yes, so you and I are on the same page.

"We" do not "see", we only see, as with our eyes, not with our brain.

When we see with our brain, we can "see" all the world through its own eyes. The photo receptors in our eyes were created before the stars, billions of years ago to capture our experiences by picture today.

What do you think of this?
Quote:
I am basically reevaluating the dualism principles of reality and suggesting that the entire Universe is not consisted of "opposites", but STAGES of EVOLUTION. Light is not the opposite of dark - light is the EVOLUTION of darkness. Intelligence is not the opposite of ignorance - Intelligence is the EVOLUTION of ignorance.

This world is not cyclical like people thought - it's EVOLVING through STAGES DARK > Formation > LIGHT ~ IGNORANCE > Information > Intelligence.

Understand now? We don't go from ANIMAL > HUMAN > ANIMAL > HUMAN - NO, WE EVOLVED FROM THE ANIMAL, TO BE HUMAN. THE ANIMAL IS "NOT" THE OPPOSITE OF HUMAN - THE HUMAN IS THE EVOLUTION OF ANIMAL!
JLNobody

Tue 16 Sep, 2014 10:41 pm
@One Eyed Mind,
Nicely put. I might summarize this anti-dualism in the religious terms of Meister Eckart--not for the first time here: I see God with the same eye as God sees me.
One Eyed Mind

Tue 16 Sep, 2014 10:45 pm
@JLNobody,
When people say Us, they are close - it's "Universe".

When people say I, they are close - it's "Information".
JLNobody

Wed 17 Sep, 2014 10:10 am
@One Eyed Mind,
Sounds interesting, but I do not understand it.
One Eyed Mind

Wed 17 Sep, 2014 04:24 pm
@JLNobody,
There is no such thing as "human".

There is such a thing as a "human body" and everything inside that human body.

There is no "human" - everything "human" already existed in "animal", "plant", "subatomic life" and the "Universe".
JLNobody

Wed 17 Sep, 2014 11:12 pm
@One Eyed Mind,
So, "human" like everything else is an addition to what is originally given. But everything in our meaningful experience is constructed. We do experience that substance of our world in a pre-reflective way, but to make it meaningful it's filtered (i.e, I cook that raw substance) through cultural provided categories--like "human."
One Eyed Mind

Wed 17 Sep, 2014 11:15 pm
@JLNobody,
Indeed.

Could you perhaps read my thread: "Breaking the Universe's Matrix".

I gave it a title that'll scare away the ignorant people. Go forth, Nobody! The most ironic command you'll hear in your life.
0 Replies

BonnieArteaga

Tue 7 Oct, 2014 02:09 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Agreed with the statement completely , it is one of the seven dark flaws personality traits .
0 Replies

solarisblack

Sat 18 Oct, 2014 04:49 am
Abusive desire to acquire. This begins firstly, in the heart, and then logically justifies it's position through action. A facet of the human condition.
0 Replies

carloslebaron

Sun 19 Oct, 2014 10:07 am
Dualist human universe:

For the one with little or nothing, the one who is prosperous is greedy.

For the prosperous, who heard the one with little or nothing calling him greedy, its because envy.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Mon 17 Nov, 2014 08:04 pm
There's a simple answer you know...fear !
Greed is fear !
0 Replies

RonaldHarris

Thu 20 Nov, 2014 06:44 am
Greed is an excessive desire to attain or possess more than what one requires or should get, especially with respect to material wealth.
0 Replies

Arcades

Thu 20 Nov, 2014 08:25 pm
When someone does not know that they are greedy it is hard to connotate the trait with the sinisterism that makes it's popularity, but when it becomes conscious it is in most cases a psychological dependence now. And most times creates a rebel of the subject, a truculent survivalist who might not even want to be greedy anymore.
0 Replies

Thomas33

Wed 13 Jul, 2016 07:37 am
Greed is the inability to co-exist with others. And it's the inability to tolerate reflection. Politics and government are the necessary reaction to this inability.
AugustineBrother

Wed 13 Jul, 2016 02:02 pm
@Robert Gentel,
It is not seeing others as your brothers and sisters of a dignity equal to yours and thus of greater value than money. This does not solve the 'when to give' problem but it establishes that there is something to be solved.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Fri 19 Aug, 2016 10:22 pm
@Thomas33,
I wonder if my experience is a common trait. When I worked, I was more generous with donations to charities. Once I retired, it slowed down to a trickle. It's not that we don't have money and investments, but my giving has literally stopped to a trickle.
0 Replies