Steve Jobs has died

Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2011 11:00 am
@eurocelticyankee,
In my first post here I mention Edison for a reason, in some ways it's a very apt comparison. He ran a company of inventors for which he took disproportionate credit. I don't think Jobs is as brazen with credit theft but Apple's policies about secrecy and marketing help keep the Apple engineer's out of the spotlight and the spokesperson who introduces them gets a lot of the halo effect.

Anyway, just to make it clear I don't think anything I've said really detracts from his legacy at all, I just want to credit his contributions more accurately than they generally are doing. I think his impact's greatness isn't in question, but rather that most people don't really understand what it really was.
BillRM

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2011 11:35 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
I suppose according to Obama the other 75,000 people who have worked for Apple since its founding we just taking up space and sucking up revenue....if there was any doubt but that Obama is in his heart a conservative I think that we have now put that to bed...It is the conservatives who claim that individuals do great things alone, Liberals used to know that it takes a village to lift a man to greatness.

You do reach to the moon and beyond sometimes Hawkeye.

0 Replies

thack45

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2011 11:53 am
@Robert Gentel,
I couldn't agree with you more on all of your posts. A man dies and his legend is born. And yet people wonder why our understanding of history is at times so convoluted. This is a perfect example.
Questioner

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2011 11:55 am
@thack45,
This man's legend was in place LONG before he died.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2011 01:25 pm
@Questioner,
Questioner wrote:

This man's legend was in place LONG before he died.
Considering that Obama thinks that he was a great inventor it appears that the legend is a long ways away from the man.
Questioner

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2011 01:27 pm
@hawkeye10,
Possibly. I'm sure Perry would have referred to him as 'Won Helluva Dood!' from his ranch called N****head.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2011 01:48 pm
@jespah,
Quote:
Steve Jobs has died
Thanks for all the wonderful toys Smile
0 Replies

penrocks

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2011 02:18 am
@jespah,
RIP Mr Jobs Smile
He had made a big difference in this world, eh.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2011 12:29 pm
http://www.theonion.com/articles/last-american-who-knew-what-the-****-he-was-doing,26268/

Last American Who Knew What The **** He Was Doing Dies

The Onion, October 6, 2011 | ISSUE 47•40
Article Tools

CUPERTINO, CA—Steve Jobs, the visionary co-founder of Apple Computers and the only American in the country who had any clue what the **** he was doing, died Wednesday at the age of 56. "We haven't just lost a great innovator, leader, and businessman, we've literally lost the only person in this country who actually had his **** together and knew what the hell was going on," a statement from President Barack Obama read in part, adding that Jobs will be remembered both for the life-changing products he created and for the fact that he was able to sit down, think clearly, and execute his ideas—attributes he shared with no other U.S. citizen. "This is a dark time for our country, because the reality is none of the 300 million or so Americans who remain can actually get anything done or make things happen. Those days are over." Obama added that if anyone could fill the void left by Jobs it would probably be himself, but said that at this point he honestly doesn’t have the slightest notion what he’s doing anymore.
georgeob1

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2011 07:04 pm
@kickycan,
I think the days ahead will see a more complete and balanced picture of this remarkable man emerging. When that occurs the juvenile arrogance and stupidity of the Onion article will become very apparent to most readers.
kickycan

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2011 05:22 am
@georgeob1,
I could say the same thing about your response, Chuckles.
0 Replies

thack45

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2011 07:21 am
@georgeob1,
Assuming you know that The Onion is a satirical publication, what do you find stupid or arrogant about the article?
Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2011 10:18 am
@thack45,
It's jokingly negative about America and George is nationalistic.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2011 11:18 am
http://www.thechronicleherald.ca/sites/default/files/imagecache/mackinnon_toon_full/bm_cartoon/brucex07_0.jpg
ossobuco

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2011 12:50 pm
@Ceili,
Wonderful..
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2011 01:31 pm
@Ceili,
Similar idea (but the upgrade has already occurred):

http://cdn.gottabemobile.com/wp-content/uploads/steve-jobs-ipad-st-peter-gates-440x6001.jpg
Thomas

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2011 01:34 pm
@sozobe,
Strange. Everybody is assuming that he went to heaven.
sozobe

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2011 01:37 pm
@Thomas,
Well, St. Peter's still checking the list, maybe he's not on it. Jobs does look a little peeved. But then he might be peeved to be IN heaven too, seeing as how he was a Buddhist and all. It's nice and white and minimalist n stuff though. Maybe it'd appeal.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2011 01:37 pm
@Thomas,
Of course. Don't most buddhists?

Kidding, as I didn't actually read that article about his spiritual side.
Thomas

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2011 01:51 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:
Of course. Don't most buddhists?

I didn't know he was a Buddhist. But if he went to heaven, they must have made an exception to honor his role in starting up Pixar. I never understood the cult around Apple; I do understand the cult around Pixar, and believe in it myself. Maybe Peter does, too.