May I see your papers, citizen? Part deux.

DrewDad

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2011 11:39 am
Tough Immigration Law Scares Away Workers

Quote:
A sponsor of Alabama's tough new immigration law told desperate tomato farmers Monday that he won't change the law, even though they told him that their crops are rotting in the field and they are at risk of losing their farms.

They complained that the new law, which went into effect Thursday, scared off many of their migrant workers at harvest time.

Chad Smith said his family normally would have 12 trucks working the fields on a Monday, but only had the workers for three. He estimated his family could lose up to $150,000 this season because of a lack of help to pick the crop.

"We will be lucky to be in business next year," he said.

Leroy Smith, Chad Smith's father, challenged the senator to pick a bucket full of tomatoes and experience the labor-intensive work.

Beason declined but promised to see what could be done to help farmers while still trying to keep illegal immigrants out of Alabama.

Smith threw down the bucket he offered Beason and said, "There, I figured it would be like that."

Yup. Gotta keep them evil, hard working immigrants out.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,607 • Replies: 1
No top replies

revelette

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2011 08:33 am
Quote:
GADSDEN, Ala. (AP) — A man suspected of violating Alabama’s new immigration law turned out to be in the country legally.

The Etowah County Sheriff’s Department apprehended three men from Yemen during a drug raid Friday. One produced papers showing he had become a citizen. The second had a work visa. But the third man, who was accused of obstructing a government operation, could not produce any records and was held in jail.

Etowah County officials said Monday an attorney for 24-year-old Mohamed Ali Muflahi later produced papers showing he had legal status.

Sheriff Todd Entrekin said it was the first immigration case to come up in Etowah County since the law took effect Thursday.

source
0 Replies