Cataract Surgery and High Blood Pressure?

dupre

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2004 02:32 pm
Grandma had her eyes examined for lenses for cataract surgery. Then, Grandma had a surge in her blood pressure, went to the hospital, and has just started taking some rather strong blood pressure medicine.

Her cataract surgery is scheduled for tomorrow morning.

My question--and we have not heard back from the surgeon yet!--is, Since her blood pressure has changed, and is still changing as she adjusts to her medicine, wouldn't that change her prescription for her lens as well? Shouldn't she wait till she has adjusted fully to her meds (about one month) and then take the eye exam over?

I'd hate for them to put the wrong lens in her eye and for her to have to have surgery again.

Surgery is scheduled for 7:45 am. Should we cancel?

Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 7,552 • Replies: 16
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2004 02:37 pm
Oh, gosh. I don't think anyone here is qualified to answer that. But definitely get some straight answers from the doctor, make sure he/she has all the info.

Good luck!
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2004 02:38 pm
Wow Dupre - I hope they will take that into consideration - better make some more telephone calls before you run out of time. Good luck and keep us advised.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2004 06:12 pm
do you have a medical HOTLINE in your community? in ontario we have an 800 number med hotline . one can phone any time for medical advice. what about the hospital emergency department ? there must be someone qualified who can at least point you in the right direction - i hope. good luck ! hbg ... the hospital physicians that prescribed the medication should be able to give some advice - even if over the phone - shouldn't they ?
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2004 12:35 pm
Hey, thanks for your suggestions. I did get back on the phone and try, try again. I was passed around 5 times before a woman from the surgery center decided to walk over in person to the doctor's office and pose the question herself on our behalf.

The office finally got an answer from the doctor that we could proceed with the surgery; however, her primary care physician suggested we wait till Grandma has adjusted to her meds and has gotten used to her new walker, and new routine. Too many changes at once for a home-bound 89-year-old with dementia, early-onset Alzheimer's, and high blood pressure.

Bless her old soul. She'll have to wait a few months for new eyes.

Thanks so much for encouraging that phone call. I'm relieved we are not going forward with her surgery now.

I always would wonder whether or not the eye doctor decided proceeding at this time would be good for his pocket book, at the sacrifice of what would be good for Grandma.

I guess I'm a skeptic by nature.

Thanks again!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2004 12:37 pm
Good call dupre!
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2004 03:21 pm
Reduction of blood pressure via medication frequently lowers the IOP. As the IOP is not directly associated with acuity, it's doubtful that your Grandmother's acuity will be affected. by her new anit-hypertensive.

Of concern is a pending surgery when the patient is not stable. The medical staff and physicians should be informed of the patients condition and this should be done immediately.
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2004 03:27 pm
Hi, Miller. Welcome to able2know!

What's an IOP?

Thanks for your response.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2004 03:40 pm
IOP=intraocular pressure. It's the fluid pressure in the posterior portion of your eye. Frequently, increased IOP ( above 25 mm mercury ) causes damage to the optic nerve.
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2004 03:46 pm
Thanks, Miller. I'll pass this on to our family.

It is very comforting to have the eye surgeon's opinion confirmed and explained.

We will wait though until she has adjusted to her meds and new limited abilities.

Thanks, again. You have settled this for me in my befuddled mind.

Some measure of peace at last.

Thanks.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2004 03:50 pm
You're very welcome.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 05:41 am
Miller- Welcome! Very Happy Is chronic IOP the same thing as glaucoma?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2004 09:42 pm
No, it's not.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2004 09:49 pm
My laywoman's understanding is that if intraocular pressure gets up there past a certain number on a routine basis, you are looking at glaucoma. I have had high intraocular pressure, say, 20, 21, 22, and they have not called it glaucoma yet, but instituted daily drops to keep it down.

Apparently there are physical changes with age that can make pressure increase, having to do with changed angle of drainage, or some such.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2004 10:28 pm
ossobuco wrote:
My laywoman's understanding is that if intraocular pressure gets up there past a certain number on a routine basis, you are looking at glaucoma. I have had high intraocular pressure, say, 20, 21, 22, and they have not called it glaucoma yet, but instituted daily drops to keep it down.

Apparently there are physical changes with age that can make pressure increase, having to do with changed angle of drainage, or some such.

There is a low tension glaucoma and then there is a high tension glaucoma.

At a pressure of 30 mm mercury, the patient is treated, regardless of whether there are defects in the optic disc or fields. The goal is to lower the IOP, before these defects do occur.

Low tension glaucoma occurs at mucher lower IOP and is attended by atropy of the optic disc and field defects.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2004 10:40 pm
Ah, thanks for clarification, Miller.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2004 11:08 pm
ossobuco wrote:
Ah, thanks for clarification, Miller.

You're very welcome. Razz
0 Replies