Buddhisms similary to Christianity.

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2011 06:43 pm
I come from a fundamentalist Christian background. I am very familiar with the Christian world view. I never learned much about Buddhism, but I have been reading with some interest the comments about this religion here.

What strikes me is the strong similarity between Buddhism and fundamentalist Christianity (once you get past the trappings).

They both (according to posts here) deal with a truth. There are people who have the truth. There are people who don't have the truth. There is the idea of straying from the truth which causes suffering. And there is the idea that through sacrifice and meditation you can reach peace.

Religion is uniquely human. It reflects human nature and addresses human needs. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that they are really quite similar. But somehow I find it amusing.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 10,786 • Replies: 186

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2011 09:00 pm
BIG difference between the two.

Christians worship Christ and are told to do everything for the glory of God following a set of rules.

Buddhist try to walk a path to awareness in order to achieve nirvana, but it is done using the resources of one's own mind.
Joe Nation

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2011 09:07 pm
Buddhists ( I am not one, but boy, they think I am.) are the least judgmental people on the face of the earth.
Christians (I used to be one, but I let my Vows of Confirmation lapse.) are mostly good people, but regularly show fear and doubt when confronted with a way that is not theirs.

They should be the two most serene groups of people one could find.

Joe(one of them is)Nation
igm

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2011 05:11 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

What strikes me is the strong similarity between Buddhism and fundamentalist Christianity (once you get past the trappings).

I don't agree.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2011 05:18 am
@PUNKEY,
You are right about the glory of God, but it takes the same role in a Christians life that Prajna takes in a Buddhists life. The role of prayer or meditation to find the glory of God or Prajna is the same. This sounds very much like the path that Buddhists walk.

Christians don't think of themselves as following a "set of rules" any more than Buddhists do. Christians are on a "narrow path" that is difficult but leads to enlightenment and righteousness.

0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2011 05:20 am
@Joe Nation,
Joe,

I hope you can appreciate the irony in your post.

djjd62

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2011 05:27 am
where i come from, we describe christianity as "I Can't Believe It's Not Buddha"

badump, bump

thanks folks, i'll be here all week

don't forget to tip your servers

0 Replies

igm

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2011 05:29 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

I never learned much about Buddhism, but I have been reading with some interest the comments about this religion here.

Posts you've read about Buddhism won't help you make judgements about whether Buddhism and Christianity are similar. If as you say: 'I never learned much about Buddhism'.

Your posts so far seem to confirm this.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2011 05:37 am
@igm,
OK Igm,

I started this discussion to explore the idea. I am here to learn. Please enlighten me.

Tell me why Buddhism and the Buddhist difficult path to achieve prajna is fundamentally different than the Christian narrow path to achieve righteousness.
igm

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2011 05:45 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

OK Igm,

I started this discussion to explore the idea. I am here to learn. Please enlighten me.

Tell me why Buddhism and the Buddhist difficult path to achieve prajna is fundamentally different than the Christian narrow path to achieve righteousness.

That would be a post… and as I said above… you can't make judgements about the similarities between Buddhism and Christianity from posts… if you don't know much about Buddhism (as you have said you don't) before you read those posts... I will say that they are not similar and one should either be one or the other i.e. they are incompatible.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2011 05:45 am
@maxdancona,
in my simplified view

buddhism is a path to self awareness and enlightenment, a chance for personal growth

christianity is a path to a safe place to spend eternity, whether you learn anything along the way is a moot point, just follow the rules and your golden
sozobe

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2011 06:03 am
I don't think Buddhism and Christianity as two specific religions out of all religions have much in common.

I think you're describing the similarities between ALL religions. (Truth. Usually a prophet/ deity. Prescriptions on how to live a good life. Etc.)
Setanta

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2011 06:11 am
@sozobe,
Word.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2011 06:16 am
@djjd62,
Dj, you have a wrong understanding of Christianity. Christianity has the eternity thing, but they also have an ingenious way of dealing with it. There is a purification ritual (either "accepting Christ" or baptism depending on the type of Christianity) and then your eternity is settled.

Christians spend their time seeking to be closer to God which is a very similar goal to seeking enlightenment or wisdom. Ask any Christians you know, they aren't going around worrying about their afterlife.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2011 06:27 am
@sozobe,
Yes Sozobe. I am describing the similarities between all religions. I am not saying that Buddhism is any more similar to Christianity than any other religion. I am pointing out that religions in general are awfully similar and neither Buddhism nor Christianity is an exception.

Religion is a human trait and thus religions will address the same needs. The specifics are different, but the key ideas are quite similar.

People will come up with all sorts of reasons that their religion is better than other religions, but in the end it is all a reflection of the the same human needs and desires.

ehBeth

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2011 06:38 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
People will come up with all sorts of reasons that their religion is better than other religions

that's actually not the case in all religions. Some teach that all paths up the mountain are equal.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2011 06:40 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
hat's actually not the case in all religions. Some teach that all paths up the mountain are equal.

That's what I am saying. Buddhism and fundamentalist Christianity are equal paths.

I don't consider that idea to be a religion though.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2011 06:43 am
@maxdancona,
Hinduism isn't a religion?
maxdancona

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2011 06:46 am
@ehBeth,
I didn't say Hinduism isn't a religion. I am just saying that Max is not a religion.
0 Replies

igm

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2011 06:55 am
@maxdancona,
It could be argued that Buddhism has more in common with philosophy and atheism than Christianity. Has your Fundamentalist Christianity something in common with atheism and philosophy?