nothing = anything?

JTT

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2011 03:01 pm
@InfraBlue,
Quote:
In what, and how exactly, were we lead astray?

It would take too long to list them all, Infra, but we have one right here in this very discussion. Were you ever a participant in the Pet Peeves of English thread.

I think that page one, by by by I forget her name, listed a whole bunch of these old canards.

Let's try this. Tell me a rule that you remember being taught.

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2011 03:07 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
That's not something that would take a rocket scientist, Infra.

Language isn't rocket science, JTT. We're talking about language, English specifically.

By and large, the proof that is necessary for standardization is learned consenus.
InfraBlue

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2011 03:09 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
Let's try this. Tell me a rule that you remember being taught.

One rule is that double negatives are nonstandard.
JTT

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2011 03:18 pm
@InfraBlue,
Quote:
One rule is that double negatives are nonstandard.

That's what I said. But nonstandard doesn't mean wrong, bad, incorrect or ignorant.

I think that you are being disingenuous or you are misremembering your schooling.

That isn't a rule of English. That is an observation about a component of English.
JTT

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2011 03:22 pm
@InfraBlue,
Quote:
Language isn't rocket science, JTT. We're talking about language, English specifically.

Language is indeed rocket science, Infra. There's this mistaken notion that all there is to learn about language has already been discovered. That is far far from the truth.

Quote:
By and large, the proof that is necessary for standardization is learned consenus.

Don't confuse 'learned consensus' with the crap that you were taught in school, with the simplistic grammar/English books that you used. That stuff doesn't come anywhere near the complexity of language that you learned by the time you were five.
InfraBlue

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2011 03:41 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
But nonstandard doesn't mean wrong, bad, incorrect or ignorant.

Nonstandard doesn't necessarily mean wrong, bad, incorrect or ignorant. It depends on the situation.

I've already acknowledged that sometimes nonstandard use sounds ignorant. Oftentimes nonstandard use sounds merely nonstandard.

A person who uses double negation without being aware of the standard is necessarily ignorant of the standard.

A person who uses double negation while being aware of the standard is most likely obstinate.

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2011 03:45 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
Language is indeed rocket science, Infra. There's this mistaken notion that all there is to learn about language has already been discovered. That is far far from the truth.

Then I don't know how you're using the term "rocket science" here. I suspect you're using your own definition like you do for the term "banana republic."

Quote:
Don't confuse 'learned consensus' with the crap that you were taught in school, with the simplistic grammar/English books that you used.

Uh-huh.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2011 03:57 pm
@InfraBlue,
Quote:
A person who uses double negation without being aware of the standard is necessarily ignorant of the standard.

A person who uses double negation while being aware of the standard is most likely obstinate.

You illustrate your ignorance of the meanings of standard English/nonstandard English, by using 'the standard'. It most assuredly is NOT 'the standard'. There is a huge difference between that particular choice of words and 'standard English'.

If anything is the standard for most of the language that most speakers use, it is nonstandard English, but that is only in the sense of frequency.

Does that mean that we are all obstinate?

I believe that you simply can't get this nonsense that you were taught out of your head. We have choices in language and many of those choices are of the nonstandard variety.

You have to admit that a person who allows that this is simply nonstandard English but goes on to decide with no actual proof that this sounds bad but other nonstandard English doesn't sound bad is merely expressing an opinion.

From what I've shown you, you would also have to agree that it is an opinion that is misinformed. You still haven't provided the proof that you taught to show you why this was ignorant.

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2011 04:39 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
You illustrate your ignorance of the meanings of standard English/nonstandard English, by using 'the standard'. It most assuredly is NOT 'the standard'. There is a huge difference between that particular choice of words and 'standard English'.

No, merely, you're confusing the way I'm using the word standard, i.e. widely recognized or employed as a model of authority or excellence, not in the sense of "commonly used." But I suspect you knew that and are only being disingenuous which serves to further your obdurateness.
Quote:
Does that mean that we are all obstinate?

For the most part, for those that know better, yes. People get into habits of speaking and writing that are nonstandard.
Quote:
I believe that you simply can't get this nonsense that you were taught out of your head.

What nonsense, exactly?
Quote:
We have choices in language and many of those choices are of the nonstandard variety.

This straw man argument doesn't negate that fact that those choices in language that are nonstandard aren't standard, i.e. widely recognized or employed as a model of authority or excellence.
Quote:
You have to admit that a person who allows that this is simply nonstandard English but goes on to decide with no actual proof that this sounds bad but other nonstandard English doesn't sound bad is merely expressing an opinion.

So, you're hung up on the fact that I expressed an opinion about the way certain expressions sound? Get over yourself.
Quote:
From what I've shown you, you would also have to agree that it is an opinion that is misinformed.

How exactly is it misinformed in light of the fact that double negatives are nonstandard English?
Quote:
You still haven't provided the proof that you taught to show you why this was ignorant.

It's pretty simple. The use of double negatives is ignorant if the user is unknowing of the standard English. Standard English has been established by learned consensus.
JTT

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2011 05:47 pm
@InfraBlue,
Quote:
No, merely, you're confusing the way I'm using the word standard, i.e. widely recognized or employed as a model of authority or excellence, not in the sense of "commonly used." But I suspect you knew that and are only being disingenuous which serves to further your obdurateness.

Okay, I can see that you are seriously confused on just what the meaning of Standard English/Nonstandard English is.

Quote:
Levels of Usage
In this book we use a number of terms to indicate different levels of usage to give you an idea under what circumstances a given usage will be appropriate. 9

Standard English Standard English is the language we use for public discourse. It is the working language of our social institutions. The news media, the government, the legal profession, and the teachers in our schools and universities all aim at Standard English as a norm of communication, primarily in expository and argumentative writing, but also in public speaking. Standard English is thus different from what we normally think of as speech in that Standard English must be taught, whereas children learn to speak naturally without being taught. Of course, Standard English shares with spoken English certain features common to all forms of language. It has rules for making grammatical sentences, and it changes over time. The issues of pronunciation discussed in this book mainly involve how to pronounce specific written words or written letters, such as ch or g, in different words. The guidance to pronunciation is not meant to standardize or correct anyone’s naturally acquired form of spoken English. 10

The name Standard English is perhaps not the best, since it implies a standard against which various kinds of spoken English are to be measured, and this is hardly a fair comparison. A better name might be Institutional English, Conventional English, Commercial English, or Standardized English for Writing and Public Speaking, but these names all have their own negative connotations and shortcomings. So, since Standard is what this brand of English has been called for generations, we use the name here. 11

Nonstandard English There are many expressions and grammatical constructions that are not normally used in Standard English. These include regional expressions, such as might could, and other usages, such as ain’t and it don’t, that are typically associated with dialects used by people belonging to less prestigious social groups. These nonstandard varieties of English are no less logical or systematic than Standard English. In this book an expression labeled nonstandard is not wrong; it is merely inappropriate for ordinary usage in Standard English. 12

Formal English On some occasions it is important to adhere to the conventions that characterize serious public discourse and to avoid expressions that we might use in more casual situations. Formal writing and speaking are characterized by the tendency to give full treatment to all the elements that are required for grammatical sentences. Thus in formal English you might hear May I suggest that we reexamine the problem? where both clauses have a subject and verb and the subordinate clause is introduced by the conjunction that. Of course, formal English has many other features. Among these are the careful explanation of background information, complexity in sentence structure, explicit transitions between thoughts, and the use of certain words such as may that are reserved chiefly for creating a formal tone. Situations that normally require formal usage would include an article discussing a serious matter submitted to a respected journal, an official report by a group of researchers to a government body, a talk presented to a professional organization, and a letter of job application. 13

Informal English This is a broad category applied to situations in which it is not necessary, and in many cases not even desirable, to use the conventions of formal discourse. Informal language incorporates many of the familiar features of spoken English, especially the tendency to use contractions and to abbreviate sentences by omitting certain elements. Where formal English has May I suggest that we reexamine the manuscript? in informal English you might get Want to look this over again? Informal English tends to assume that the audience shares basic assumptions and background knowledge with the writer or speaker, who therefore alludes to or even omits reference to this information, rather than carefully explaining it as formal discourse requires. Typical informal situations would include a casual conversation with classmates, a letter to a close friend, or an article on a light topic written for a newspaper or magazine whose readership shares certain interests of the writer. 14

Of course, these functional categories are not hard and fast divisions of language; rather they are general tendencies of usage. People use language over a spectrum that shifts from intimate situations to public discourse, and a given piece of writing may have a mixture of formal and informal elements. We use the labels formal and informal in this book as guideposts to give you a clearer notion about when it is appropriate to use a particular usage. 15

It is important to remember that formal and informal refer to styles of expression, not standards of correctness. Informal English has its own rules of grammar and is just as logical as formal English. You can be serious using informal English, just as you can be comical using formal English. The two styles are simply used for different occasions.

http://www.bartleby.com/64/13.html

Quote:
This straw man argument doesn't negate that fact that those choices in language that are nonstandard aren't standard, i.e. widely recognized or employed as a model of authority or excellence.

Again, you are misusing 'standard'. But then you hadn't had a chance to read the above.

Quote:
So, you're hung up on the fact that I expressed an opinion about the way certain expressions sound?

I have no problem with you expressing an opinion, at any time. You are entitled to that. That doesn't mean that you have the right to seriously mislead on language.

There are many "rules", the ones that you were taught in school, that are mere opinions. That doesn't make them an accurate description of language.

Quote:
It's pretty simple. The use of double negatives is ignorant if the user is unknowing of the standard English. Standard English has been established by learned consensus.

You have a badly misguided idea of what constitutes Standard English but again, you haven't had a chance to read the above.

JTT

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2011 07:43 pm
@InfraBlue,
Quote:
It's ironic that you try to introduce other languages to support this argument of yours, when other times you preclude the use of other languages as a means to re-enforce certain gramatical rules (e.g. ruling out the example of Latin to in regard to the use of split infinitives in English).

You have to consider exactly what those comparisons are, Infra. Wrt the split infinitive, English grammar is not Latin grammar, never was, never could be.

Demanding that grammatical features of one language become the rule for another language is just plain dumb. How dumb is it? Like all dumb prescriptions, it was never followed. Why? Because made up rules are unnatural to English users so they naturally don't follow them.

It's like demanding that everyone breathe thru their ears. It ain't gonna happen.

Illustrating that other languages use double, triple, quadruple, ... negating features in their grammar doesn't suggest that English has to, should, or must bring those features into English. It merely illustrates that the process isn't ignorant at all. If it was ignorant of English speakers, it would also be ignorant of millions of speakers of other languages.

It's a common feature of language. And we also know that it is a common feature of English. We also know that it was standard in older forms of English.

Do you also have a problem with <ain't>? Is the use of ain't a sign of ignorance?

0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2011 11:38 pm
...a double negative can be informative on the dynamics of though for instance...to say, to not not eat, will inform someone the intention I have to counter a previous negation on something I intended...quite different from informatively saying I want to eat...and this alone should be the focus of analysis...not how it is in English or in French or whatever else technocratic out of focus skitzo bullshit kind of I piss on your tree because you have pissed on mine and so on...(cowboys still)
(...I like to distance myself from educated mediocrity precisely on this kind of approach I have to most issues...)
0 Replies

wayne

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2011 12:05 am
Grammars???? We don't need no steeenking grammars.

American English can be a lot of fun to play with, after all, we spend alot of time here doing just that.
It's all about context, circumstance, and how you choose to portray yourself.

Mick Jagger makes a double negative work, we all get it.
Set sure seems to have a lot of fun practicing proper English here, and I do to.

When you make a serious statement, as in the OP; double negatives portray you as a rube.

That's a large part of the fun, and challenge of using a complex and progressive language such as English, knowing when you need some steenking grammars and when youse don'ts.
That's also one of the things that makes a great author.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2011 02:15 am
This thread just confirms me in my opinion that nothing JTT writes is worth reading. It's like a dog with an old shoe--he'll tear it to shreads, but he'll never give it up, and it ceased to be anything useful a long time ago.
wayne

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2011 02:23 am
@Setanta,
A little understanding is a dangerous thing.
JTT

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2011 10:08 am
@wayne,
Quote:
A little understanding is a dangerous thing.

That certainly describes you and Setanta to a T, Wayne.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2011 10:13 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
The way I see it, real class in being an English speaker involves understanding both the Queen saying, 'My husband and I cannot imagine anything nicer', and a Cockney speaker saying, 'Me old man and me can't fink of nuffink nicer'.

Real class is being knowledgeable about the diversity of English as well as sensitive to the nuances of the different varieties. The status-obsessed grumblers who complain about other people's double negations do not have class. There is nothing classy about insensitivity to the complexity of the linguistic world around us.

http://www.abc.net.au/rn/arts/ling/stories/lf981010.htm

izzythepush

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2011 10:09 am
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

a Cockney speaker saying, 'Me old man and me can't fink of nuffink nicer'.

That's about as Cockney as Dick Van Dyke.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2011 11:54 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
This thread just confirms me in my opinion that nothing JTT writes is worth reading.

It was useful enough to illustrate, once again, just how ignorant you are as respects language.

It was useful enough to show Infra that he held some serious misconceptions about language.

It was useful enough that it sent you scurrying back to your little hole.

All in all, a highly successful thread.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2011 12:05 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

From what I've shown you, you would also have to agree that it is an opinion that is misinformed.

Why do you think your opinion on this has any more meaning or value than any other opinion?

It's interesting that the same thing comes up in the language threads as in the politics threads where you post. You push your opinion in a way that makes it difficult for people who might come around to agreeing with you (not that I think they should or would in this thread) to even read your posts. Robert has pointed this out to you a few times - you truly are spiting yourself. Quite similar to the waterboy effect.