Why are those t-shirts called Wife Beaters?

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2011 09:31 am
Weird name huh?

View best answer, chosen by GracieGirl
Reyn

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2011 03:02 pm
@GracieGirl,
I've never heard of T-shirts like that before.

What do they look like?
Setanta

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2011 03:09 pm
Allegedly, it's because men shown arrested for domestic violence on the television program "COPS" were usually wearing a sleeveless undershirt, a tank top. One source i saw online says that a man was arrested in Detroit in 1947 for beating his wife to death, and was photographed then wearing a sleeveless undershirt. According to that source, that man became known simply as "the wife beater," and the term was then attached to the tank top-style undershirt he was wearing. Supposedly, the term then slowly spread from Detroit.

I found these explanations online, and cannot vouch for them.
Setanta

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2011 03:10 pm
@Reyn,
http://hotproducts.manufacturer.com/cimages/buyLeads/www.alibaba.com/0713/w/Men_s_Tank_Top.jpg
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2011 03:16 pm
@Setanta,
In French, they are called "marcel" - because the "établissements Marcel" sold them first (to workers at the Halles in Paris).
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2011 03:38 pm
@Setanta,
They usually show more arm pits, and have a vee neck.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2011 04:24 pm
@roger,
They call this stuff wife beater over here.
http://philatelia.ru/pict/cat4/dir1/2048ru.jpg
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2011 05:10 pm
chai2

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2011 05:55 pm
@edgarblythe,
Blanche was a real piece of work.

My sister in law in Ft. Worth reminds me of her.
0 Replies

GracieGirl

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2011 06:04 pm
@edgarblythe,
(sigh) I hate black and white movies. It makes everything soo dull and boring.

And that guy's a a-hole with anger issues. And is that guy married to both girls? What is that, the 1800's? Ugh!
GracieGirl

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2011 06:06 pm
@Setanta,
Oh! That's kinda interesting. So it all started from one guy. Who would wanna wear a 'wife beater' t-shirt after that?! Do you wear them Mr. Setanta?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2011 06:19 pm
@edgarblythe,
Thanks for that link, eb.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2011 06:24 pm
@GracieGirl,
I hope you revisit that opinion in a while, re black and white movies. Not all black and white movies are wonderful, but some of them were.

It's not fair for me to compare movies of different eras but some of the b + w's beat anything that is on our screens or monitors now.

And the guy Marlon Brando is acting as doesn't represent the eighteen hundreds. He's still around.
Rockhead

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2011 06:55 pm
@Setanta,
the straps are too wide there, boss.

I own a coupla those, but I only wear them under a dress shirt, which means weddings and funerals.

You just feel more aggressive when wearing one. especially if you are near a trailer park. or Jerry Springer...
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2011 07:52 pm
@roger,
Quote:
They usually show more arm pits, and have a vee neck.

And way more dirt and you can smell 'em even in a picture.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2011 08:03 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

I hope you revisit that opinion in a while, re black and white movies. Not all black and white movies are wonderful, but some of them were.

I was so swamped with black and white war movies, I can't imagine Europe in anything but black and white. Two years in Germany didn't change my mind at all, even though the sun did come out from behind the clouds a couple of times.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2011 07:51 am
@ossobuco,
Marlon Brando is still around? Umm....only in films, Osso. He died in 2004.
Ragman

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2011 07:59 am
@GracieGirl,
For someone who was born in 1998 it must be a real culture shock to see a B&W films. B&W films aren't inherently boring. For example the movie 'To Kill a Mocking Bird' was one of the finest films Hollywood ever made, but it's far from boring to most who are real movie fans.

However, those who are part of the MTV-generation (on forward) might find the pacing slow from their perspective because they've been watching and influenced by the pacing of MTV videos where the scene-to-scene cuts last less than 3 seconds.

Viewing B&W (and seeing the tonality exhibited) allows the mind the ability to create it's own mood and form your own emotive responses. In many ways it's more freeing. Watch the movie 'Psycho' and you can get a sense of what I mean... or NOT!
izzythepush

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2011 08:10 am
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

Didn't he have a heart attack, whilst amusing his grandson with fangs made from orange peel?
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2011 08:15 am
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

I think she meant the type of man he played in that film.