Movie reviews for older kids?

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2011 10:29 am
Does anyone know a good resource for movie reviews for older kids? One that isn't all politically correct and "parenty"?

I really have a hard time deciding whether to take Mo to certain movies. I'll end up reading so many reviews trying to piece together whether it will be okay or not that it really spoils the show for me.

I just went through that with "Captain America" and "Super 8". We decided to see both of them and we both really liked them.

Now he's wanting to see "Apollo 18". The reviews say "not that scary -- don't waste your money" (not that scary is actually pretty good for us) and ""found footage" movies are all the same" (but he's never seen one so that doesn't matter).

Going to the movies is a pretty expensive day out and I hate spending money on something that will either bore him or scare him sleepless.

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 2,190 • Replies: 5
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2011 10:50 am
@boomerang,
I don't. I usually look at reviews from the New York Times, the New Yorker, and sometimes IMDB and/ or Rotten Tomatoes. Usually between them I get a pretty good idea of what the movie is like without too many spoilers.

I'm interested if you find a site though. We have the same problem. Mostly we don't care about bad words or sex (we just saw "Scott Pilgrim vs. the World" which was highly inappropriate in parts, but nothing too bad, and sozlet loved it). She's not real robust on the scared-sleepless front, though, we have to be careful about that. ("Scott Pilgrim" had a lot of violence but it was bloodless/ cartoony.)
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2011 11:40 am
@boomerang,
IMDB has a "content advisory" for individual films. IMDB describes the facts of relevant scenes and leaves it up to the viewer to decide whether such a scene would bother them.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2011 12:06 pm
I've used IMDB but their I don't think parent advisory does a good job of discussing the "tone" of the movie.

Rotten Tomatoes and the other review sites are all written for adults and I find it hard to translate in to what might be okay.

New movies are especially difficult to decide on.

Maybe sozlet could do tween reviews! A kind of a movie guide for slightly more permissive parents sort of thing.
wandeljw

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2011 12:09 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:
Maybe sozlet could do tween reviews! A kind of a movie guide for slightly more permissive parents sort of thing.

That sounds like the best solution. Sozlet and other tweens would probably do a good job.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2011 12:46 pm
@boomerang,
She would love that! Maybe. Seems like an interesting idea for a site (not just her but tweens in general.)

I'm checking out this site, dunno what I think about it yet but I found this section amusing (from its review of "Scott Pilgrim"):

Quote:
PROFANITY 6 - 10 times young women are seen with a black sensor box over their mouths as they speak implied but bleeped F-words, a young man says twice that the "P" in "puck" can be altered to be an "F," 2 obscene hand gestures, 8 sexual references, 5 scatological terms, 17 anatomical terms, 17 mild obscenities, exclamations (sucks), name-calling (gossipy, lazy, retard, jerky jerk, enfeebled, monster, idiot, fickle, scum of the earth, clown, cocky, pretty boy, fat, old hipster, bully, creep, geeky, tragically Canadian, Kung Pow Chicken, pretentious), 11 religious exclamations. [profanity glossary]
0 Replies