Palestinian Solidarity Campaign disrupts Israeli Concert. Yeah!!!

Setanta

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2012 03:57 am
Both Italy and Hungary refused to hand over their Jewish citizens to the Nazis. When the fascist government in Italy collapsed, many Italians made serious efforts to hide Italian Jews from the Germans. Sure, antisemitism was wide-spread in Europe, but that doesn't mean that all Europeans went along with the extermination attempt.

Not many people, it seemss , have the same concern for the Palestinians. The lies about history which are told in an attempt to suggest that Palestine and the Palestinians are false constructs are just incredible. For as long as the Palestinians can be portrayed as an oppressed people, anti-Israeli propagandists have a ready-made line of propaganda to use against the state of Israel. Is does appear, though, that there is a growing recognition in the West of the essential injustice of the treatment of the Palestinians.
oralloy

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2012 03:58 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
Maybe you should find out what's going on in Hebron before you make such glib comments. I doubt you will, because it's better not to know, that way you can go on about historical injustices.

If there are any allegations about Hebron you'd like people to know about, it might be more effective to mention them directly.

I doubt anyone is interested in running around in circles looking up articles and trying to guess if they've finally found whatever you are talking about.

That said, I'm sure whatever it is, it amounts to: "Palestinians are being prevented from murdering innocent people, and that makes them cry".

izzythepush wrote:
It always helps question the motives of anyone critical of Israel.

By "critical of Israel" you of course refer to your blood libel.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2012 04:16 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
Is does appear, though, that there is a growing recognition in the West of the essential injustice of the treatment of the Palestinians.

Any sympathy the Palestinians might get for their lack of statehood, is tempered by the realization that the reason the Palestinians don't have a state is their refusal to ever peacefully negotiate.
Setanta

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2012 05:17 am
@oralloy,
Ah yes, it's so easy to tar millions with one brush, and so much more gratifying to the bigot than being obliged to recognize its essential injustice.
oralloy

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2012 05:43 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
being obliged to recognize its essential injustice.

It's hard to get too upset over self-inflicted "injustice".

If the Palestinians want a Palestinian state, they can stop being violent and start negotiating.
Setanta

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2012 06:15 am
@oralloy,
Once again, of course, your response assumes that your description of Palestinians can be applied to all of them. Not all Israelis support the militaristic and expansionist policies of the government. Not all Israelis support the expansion of "settlements" into previously Palestinian areas. That's because no single description can justifiably be applied to all Israelis. That same goes for the Palestinians, whether or not you able or willing to recognize that.
oralloy

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2012 06:25 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
Not all Israelis support the militaristic and expansionist policies of the government.

Israel's government is militaristic only to the extent that they defend themselves from those who insist on attacking them.

The only thing that might be called expansionist would be Israel's cementing their hold on everything west of "the wall". Since the Palestinians refuse to peacefully negotiate, Israel is well within their rights to annex that territory.
Setanta

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2012 06:39 am
@oralloy,
As always, you refer to the Palestinians as though they are all identical, and all responsible for anything you condemn. Israel occupies the Golan Heights, and has negotiated, but not in good faith--certainly not with a view to giving up the land they've stolen. Israel invaded southern Lebanon in a campaign which was both futile and inept. The standard whine of the "Israel can do no wrong" lobby was about missiles being fired at Israel, which ignores the abundant evidence that Israel attacked Lebanese infrastructure, in particular highway bridges, before a single missile was launched at them. The worst thing was the incompetence of the campaign--not only did it fail to secure the release of the IDF members who had been snatched by Hezbollah, but the troops were sent out there without adequate supplies of food and water, and were forced several times to stand down because they weren't being supplied munitions.

The map below shows the territory proposed by Zionists to the 1919 Paris Peace conference--it is the area enclosed by the red line. It is superimposed on a map of present day Israel. Basically, the Zionists wanted all the port facilities and all of the highways and railroads which traversed Palestine from north to south. It can easily be seen that the territory which Israel has stolen from its neighbors corresponds very closely to the 1919 proposal. For whatever the character of individual Israeli citizens may be, the successive governments has been both militaristic and expansionist.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/31/Faisal-Weizmann_map.png

Israeli governments have attempted to take and hold all of that land, and it's not just about self-defense. You make them out to be noble victims, which is a crock of ****.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2012 06:54 am
@Setanta,
Oralboy isn't at all interested in trying to understand what's going on. He has a simple black and white narrative, all the Israelis are victims, all the Palestinians are savages. He deliberately dehumanises the Palestinian people, and delights in their death and persecution.

I don't know what made him so extreme in his opinions, but they would embarrass all but the most far right in Israel. This isn't someone who chooses to look the other way, this is someone who wilfully ignores any evidence that runs contrary to his prejudices.
oralloy

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2012 07:19 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
Israel occupies the Golan Heights, and has negotiated, but not in good faith--certainly not with a view to giving up the land they've stolen.

Israel captured that territory as part of a just war of self defense. That is hardly theft, especially given Israel's willingness to return it in exchange for peace.

Your outrageous false accusation that Israel has not negotiated in good faith discredits any complaint you might have about negotiations.

Setanta wrote:
Israel invaded southern Lebanon in a campaign which was both futile and inept.

It did a great job of teaching Lebanon to stop attacking Israel. I was quite pleased with the level of destruction throughout Lebanon.

Setanta wrote:
The standard whine of the "Israel can do no wrong" lobby was about missiles being fired at Israel, which ignores the abundant evidence that Israel attacked Lebanese infrastructure, in particular highway bridges, before a single missile was launched at them.

As if there were some sort of moral equivalence between Israel bombing a bridge and Lebanon firing missiles at civilians?

Setanta wrote:
The worst thing was the incompetence of the campaign--not only did it fail to secure the release of the IDF members who had been snatched by Hezbollah, but the troops were sent out there without adequate supplies of food and water, and were forced several times to stand down because they weren't being supplied munitions.

The logistical errors were unfortunate, but I am sure Israel has now taken steps to rectify them.

Setanta wrote:
For whatever the character of individual Israeli citizens may be, the successive governments has been both militaristic and expansionist.

Israel returned the Sinai to Egypt in return for peace.

Israel returned half of the West Bank to the Palestinians when it appeared the Palestinians were willing to be peaceful, and would have returned all of it if the Palestinians had not reacted to the peace process by massacring huge numbers of Israeli civilians.

Israel then pulled out of Gaza unilaterally in the hopes of it leading to the Palestinians being peaceful, and would have unilaterally pulled out of about 90% of the West Bank if Gaza had worked. Alas, the Palestinians only turned Gaza into an artillery battery for firing at civilians.

Setanta wrote:
Israeli governments have attempted to take and hold all of that land,

Their repeated offers to give that land up in exchange for peace say otherwise.

Setanta wrote:
and it's not just about self-defense.

Sure it is. Every bit of this is a result of people attacking Israel and/or refusing to make peace with them.

Setanta wrote:
You make them out to be noble victims, which is a crock of ****.

Israel would only be a victim if they were unable to defend themselves.

They defend themselves quite nicely in my view.
Setanta

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2012 07:27 am
@oralloy,
Your outrageous racist bigotry against the Palestinians discredits your entire extreme-right-wing Isreal can do no wrong bullshit. I'll not waste any more time on you.
oralloy

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2012 07:29 am
@izzythepush,
izzythenazi wrote:
I don't know what made him so extreme in his opinions,

What you call "extreme" is just basic ethics and human decency. Those concepts seem strange to you because you are an evil person. (It is noteworthy that most people who are deranged enough to support the Palestinians, also support sending innocent people to prison.)

izzythenazi wrote:
this is someone who wilfully ignores any evidence that runs contrary to his prejudices.

Your blood libel is hardly "evidence", and is rightfully ignored.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2012 07:38 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
Your outrageous racist bigotry against the Palestinians discredits your entire extreme-right-wing Isreal can do no wrong bullshit. I'll not waste any more time on you.

Oh nonsense. Pointing out that Israel is not at fault for the Palestinians' refusal to negotiate in peace, and not at fault for the subsequent lack of a Palestinian state, is neither racism nor bigotry.

And there is nothing extreme or right-wing about pointing out basic facts about an issue (although I'm sure people on the right will be flattered to hear that they've been associated with telling the truth).
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2012 03:19 pm
@Yahoojack,
Yahoojack wrote:

So did the Serbs, the Norwegians, the Dutch and the Belgians.
Jews in WWII Europe were not just helpless victims. Many joined their
own nation's resistance movements, in the USSR, France, Poland,and Serbia and fought the Nazi invaders.There was an uprising of Jews in Warsaw, Poland in 1943. The Jews acquired guns and explosives and killed hundreds of Nazi SS troops.

It almost sounds like the European Jews were a force to be reckoned with? No. The European Jews were just civilians that were hunted down to exterminate, and based on the basic feeling that Jews are expendable, six million Jews lost their lives for no reason other than being born into a Jewish family. That is quite different than being part of a nation at war with the Third Reich.

0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2012 03:29 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Quote:
However, many Europeans were quite happy to rid themselves of their respective Jewish community.

Stop with the finger pointing, Foofie. The US was full of rampant anti-Jewish sentiment.

The US was quite happy to get rid of Native Americans - that genocide wasn't all that much different than what the Nazis did. It was just spread over a continent.

Most Americans wouldn't have shed many tears had there been a plan to exterminate Blacks.

Naturally, there should be no genocide towards any group.

My point is that for all the civilized culture that many Europeans might be proud of, one group (aka, German Jews) that did contribute to the German culture were demonized, and devalued, so that extermination would be acceptable to many people. In effect, many Europeans were willing to put their Christian morals down for a number of years, and rejoin the values of an earlier pagan society where slave labor was acceptable.

But, your comparing German Jews to the Native Americans of the nineteenth century, with the Indian Wars in the west is laughable, in my opinion. The German Jews did not have fast horses, nor bows and arrows to fight the Nazis.

By the way, I will point my finger any time I choose. If you do not like it, you might want to point your finger back at me. But, do not tell me what to do. You really are empowering yourself, based on some opinion of your self-rightous opinions, in my opinion.
JTT

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2012 03:33 pm
@Foofie,
Quote:
But, your comparing German Jews to the Native Americans of the nineteenth century, with the Indian Wars in the west is laughable, in my opinion. The German Jews did not have fast horses, nor bows and arrows to fight the Nazis.

Typical Foofie ignorance. Genocide is genocide, Foofie.

By all means, continue with your idiotic finger pointing. Nobody highlights the stupidity of Foofie better than Foofie.
Foofie

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2012 03:38 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Maybe you should find out what's going on in Hebron before you make such glib comments. I doubt you will, because it's better not to know, that way you can go on about historical injustices. I'm sure what Edward I got up to is highly relevant to what's happening today. It always helps question the motives of anyone critical of Israel. You look the other way with aplomb.

Or "maybe" I should not find out, since it is really a problem for other people. I am more concerned with who will be the Republican candidate for U.S. President in November 2012, since I do vote. Please stop assuming I can relate to any rhetoric you offer.

You see, the Israelis might be an example of a Phoenix, and many people do not like that. They do not want Jews to be anything but the underdog. So, regardless of any correctness of your position, my knowing that others are rooting for the Arabs, based on their dislike for Judaism as a competing culture, I just won't listen to your rhetoric. The anti-Semites have spoiled your soapbox for me.

izzythepush

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2012 03:44 pm
@Foofie,
Well that just proves my point, you would rather look the other way, and question the motives of those who don't, rather than deal with the reality of what is going on. Many British Jews choose not to, and support the boycott of Israel.
Foofie

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2012 03:59 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Both Italy and Hungary refused to hand over their Jewish citizens to the Nazis. When the fascist government in Italy collapsed, many Italians made serious efforts to hide Italian Jews from the Germans. Sure, antisemitism was wide-spread in Europe, but that doesn't mean that all Europeans went along with the extermination attempt.

Not many people, it seemss , have the same concern for the Palestinians. The lies about history which are told in an attempt to suggest that Palestine and the Palestinians are false constructs are just incredible. For as long as the Palestinians can be portrayed as an oppressed people, anti-Israeli propagandists have a ready-made line of propaganda to use against the state of Israel. Is does appear, though, that there is a growing recognition in the West of the essential injustice of the treatment of the Palestinians.

Would I be correct to say that you do realize that those "serious efforts to hide Italian Jews from the Germans" basically came to naught, and Italian Jews died like Polish Jews, etc.? So, while Mussolini was not racist against Jews, the point is that upon the arrival of the Nazis, the Italians must have been cowed by the Nazi brutality to hand over most Jews. But, you pick a poor example of philo-Semitism, since at the time of Constatine making Christianity an acceptable religion, one-fourth of Rome was one big Jewish neighborhood. So, telling anyone that Jews and Italians can get along is old news. Tell me better about the Poles that taunted Jews for centuries that one day they will be living in the homes of Jews. Naturally, as good Catholics, the Poles would not do what the Nazis (or Russian peasants) did, but when the Nazis took the Polish Jews away, let's not believe that many Poles were nothing less than elated.

The Palestineans had no complaints under the Ottoman Empire, I thought. Sort of like African American New Yorkers accepting the position of David Dinkins, but not happy with the position of Rudy Giuliani. So, Jews not being Muslims (duh!), and not even being Arab in the early Zionist movement, there was just too much alienation for any real relationship. It's just a turf war. No different, in my opinion, from any other turf war as depicted in The Gangs of New York. The difference is that the Anglo-Saxon gangs died, since their community left en masse, and the Irish gangs died, since the Irish were upwardly mobile. So, does anyone see the Palestineans leaving, or becoming upwardly mobile? The turf war will likely go on, until their is urban renewal, like Turtle Bay, or Lincoln Center. That takes money, and the Arab countries would rather have the Palestineans be a thorn in the side of Israel.

By the way, when Northern Ireland had The Troubles, did Irish American Catholics lament for the Protestants in Belfast? Or, did they take an ethnocentric position?
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2012 04:06 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Quote:

Typical Foofie ignorance. Genocide is genocide, Foofie.

By all means, continue with your idiotic finger pointing. Nobody highlights the stupidity of Foofie better than Foofie.

I'm surprised that no one on the forum has made the indictment that Israel was willing to trade 1,000 Palestinean prisoners for one Jewish soldier, based on a belief that one Jew is equal the the value of 1,000 Palestineans.

Let that sink in, then grind your teeth and foam at the mouth.