Is this a good...?

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2011 08:33 pm
1.) Im reading this book called "A Tree Grows In Brooklyn" by Betty Smith. I havent started yet. Is it a good book?

2.) Me and my sister were bored and she dared me to eat sardines dipped in hot sauce and mustard. Im still just staring at it. I dont know if I should do it. Is this a good idea?

Thanks for whoever answers my questions (especially 1) !

Hey, lets make this a chain thing. (If you want) You answer one or more of the previous posters question(s) and then ask a question of your own but it has to be a 'is this good?' or is this a good idea?' or 'is it a good job?' question like that.

The form has to be: is this a good...
is it a good...
is she a good... Get it?

Roberta

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2011 11:10 pm
@GracieGirl,
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn was one of my favorite books when I was your age, Gracie. I hope you enjoy it.

Keep staring at the sardines. Blech on the mustard, and the hot sauce isn't such a good idea.

Note: I was never much into dares. If I didn't wanna do something, then I didn't wanna do it. Dares were irrelevant.

Can't think of any questions of my own. I'm tired. Sorry, kid.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2011 11:50 pm
1) I agree with Roberta - A Tree Grows in Brooklyn was one of my favorite books too, when I was your age.

2) I also love sardines - I used to eat them plain on saltines. I've never tried them with hot sauce and mustard, but it sounds like something I'd like - if it was good mustard - not French's.

This is sort of a philosophical question. I teach at a prison and we have vocational courses so the men can get certification and qualifications in a trade so that they can maybe get a job when they get out (if anyone will hire someone with a criminal record).
Anyway - one of the men got kicked off the carpentry course even though he was progressing and had certified in several of the units because the Education Director decided that lifers shouldn't be given spots on the vocational courses.
In other words, since they'd maybe be in prison the rest of their lives, or at any rate were looking at years and years inside - they wouldn't need to get a job - at least not for a long time -and so wouldn't make use of the training.

Do you think this is a good policy?
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2011 12:36 am
@GracieGirl,
1.) A Tree Grows in Brooklyn isn't just a good book; it's a great book. (But I'd like to point out that if you haven't started it yet, then you can't say "I am reading" it. You're just planning to read it.)

2.) Taking any dumb dares is never a good idea; in fact it's a terrible idea, much as I love sardines. I wouldn't do it just because someone dared me to. (And I'd also like to point out that, grammatically, it's more acceptable and certainly more polite to say "my sister and I" rather than "me and my sister.")

I'm thinking of becoming a homeless beach bum. Is this a good idea, hmm?

Very Happy Very Happy
Roberta

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2011 01:38 am
@Lustig Andrei,
The beach bum part sounds great, Andy. The homeless part, not so great. Can't you be a bum with a roof over your head?
Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2011 01:42 am
@Roberta,
Well, yeah, but strictly speaking then I wouldn't be a beachbum. I'd be a beacchcomber.
Roberta

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2011 02:52 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Sez who? Where is it written that bums must me homeless?

Don't be so strict.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2011 05:05 am
@GracieGirl,
A Tree Grows In Brooklyn, I read about 29 pages then fell asleep and was forced to watch the movie. It was all rather depressing, although, the 1945 movie did have Joan Blondell, which, for me, is always a selling point...it was the only reason I was able to tolerate that horrifying disaster series Here Come The Brides. Blondell is a Virgo and that may be an added selling point, who doesn't love a Virgo?

A later television version had Cliff Robertson, and I still liked him at the time, (when he started doing commercials for AT&T he became a pain, however he is a Virgo, so I can forgive him), but it also had the annoying Pamelyn Ferdin, she had a whiny voice and always looked both constipated and anemic, so that did in the small screen version, I mean I realize the family was dreadfully poor, but they she looked like they'd been selling her blood for profit (Ferdin is an Aquarius as well, which never bodes well)

I am not fond of sardines, I've eaten them and can tolerate them, never considered mustard for them, but doubt that it would make them any worse.

I may return to this thread later to see how it's going, is that a good idea?

izzythepush

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2011 05:47 am
@Sturgis,
Is your birthday coming up? You seem to be dropping a lot of hints about Virgos. What do you think of this guy?
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Y%2BpJzWMGL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
Sturgis

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2011 03:01 pm
@izzythepush,
Me? Hint at my fast approaching birthday? Why I'm schocked you'd think such a thing...

Actually, I was just indicating that Joan Blondell and Cliff Robertson have always been enjoyable actors for me to watch. (with exception of the commercials Robertson did)
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2011 03:11 pm
Responding with the majority about A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. Wonderful book. Made me want to nail a Cambell soup can to the floor of my closet (now you have to read it Gracie, to find out why).

Re sardines, I love them and eat them a few times a week. Personally, I think a lot of people say they don't like them, because they are a food you're not "supposed" to like.

I cook up onions, peppers, mushrooms, any other veggie I really like, and then mush the sardines into them, along with a couple of crushed crackers.
Sardines are VERY healthy food. Full of protein, calcium, good oil, and they are not a fish that is overfished in the ocean. They are good with hot sauce.
Try them. If you don't like them, try them again in a few weeks. You'll be expecting them to be so bad, you'll realize they aren't as bad as you first thought.
One time, when we'd run out of tuna, and I was craving a tuna sandwich, actually used a drained can of sardines instead. Wasn't bad actually.

Let's see....

I want to go home early....is this a good idea?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2011 03:13 pm
Never read the book but I'm gonna go eat some sardines (without mustard or hot sauce)
JTT

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2011 03:26 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Quote:
(And I'd also like to point out that, grammatically, it's more acceptable and certainly more polite to say "my sister and I" rather than "me and my sister.")

It's not ungrammatical, nor is it impolite to use "me and my [___]". It's nonstandard but nonstandard does not, in any way, mean bad language/incorrect grammar/poor upbringing/poor education/... .

It means that people use language structures that are common to their dialect/age group/register.

It's amazing the sticking power that these old canards have.

Is it a good idea to pass out advice on issues that a person doesn't fully understand?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2011 03:53 pm
mmmmmmmmmmm

sardine belches!
Eva

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2011 04:47 pm
@JPB,
Do you think belching on A2K a good idea?

(I don't. Not if you've been eating sardines. Your breath is terrible, JPB. Crying or Very sad )
JPB

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2011 05:05 pm
@Eva,
It's better than kimchee belches. Embarrassed

I'm driving for over an hour each way tomorrow to go for a walk in 95deg heat. Do you think I'm nuts?
Dutchy

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2011 05:35 pm
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

I'm driving for over an hour each way tomorrow to go for a walk in 95deg heat. Do you think I'm nuts?

Not if you make sure there is a pub near where you walk, that's what I do. Laughing
JTT

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2011 07:36 pm
@JPB,
Have you tried the sardines in mustard sauce, tomato sauce, basil & something sauce and I think there's at least one other, JPB?

Suuuuuperscrumdeleeeeicious!!!
0 Replies

GracieGirl

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2011 07:51 pm
Im thinking of changing my profile pic. Think that's a good idea?
GracieGirl

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2011 08:07 pm
Well, I'll definitely keep reading! Im on chapter 6 now and I love it so far! Mr. Green

I ended eating the sardine and it was SOO gross! There were even little bones in it. Ewwww!! Gosh I scrub my tongue with the toothbrush AND used tons of mouthwash and I still couldnt get that taste out my mouth. Yuck!

We take Truth or Dare very seriously in my family! Haha! Once I dared my brother to drink half a cup of toilet water and he puke after he did it. It was soo funny and I felt bad for him. Haha! I have it on video. Good Times... Haha! Mr. Green Laughing Laughing Very Happy