Why they give storms female names?

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2011 10:09 am
I was wondering why scientists call hurricanes , storms with female name , like Katrina, Irene etc why not male names? And Why the need arises?

jespah

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2011 10:13 am
@bromanticlovely,
They give them male names now, too. Hurricane Andrew was pretty devastating when it hit Florida.

The names are probably to more readily keep track of things than for any other reason. As for why they were originally just named for women (the male names thing is less than 30 years old), I am guessing sexism or maybe as a nod to the referring to ships as female but I am merely speculating.
Rockhead

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2011 10:15 am
@jespah,
every man that has ever been married knows why they were originally named in the femme.

just sayin'...
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2011 10:15 am
@jespah,
Every year they develop a list of names before the hurricane season.
I think it alternates male/female and then alternates from year to year whether the A name is male/female. I'm sure someone can google it.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2011 10:17 am
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/aboutnames.shtml

Quote:
The original name lists featured only women's names. In 1979, men's names were introduced and they alternate with the women's names. Six lists are used in rotation. Thus, the 2009 list will be used again in 2015.

The only time that there is a change in the list is if a storm is so deadly or costly that the future use of its name on a different storm would be inappropriate for reasons of sensitivity. If that occurs, then at an annual meeting by the WMO committee (called primarily to discuss many other issues) the offending name is stricken from the list and another name is selected to replace it.

The lists are re-cycled every six years, i.e., the 2011 list will be used again in 2017. Several names have been changed since the lists were created.

In the event that more than 21 named tropical cyclones occur in the Atlantic basin in a season, additional storms will take names from the Greek alphabet: Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Delta, and so on.
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2011 10:26 am
If they were given male names, they'd be himmicanes.

Rap
George

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2011 11:25 am
@raprap,
Ouch
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2011 08:19 pm
@jespah,
Thank you, jespah, for mentioning that magnificent storm of years gone by. For a couple of years following, I'd introduce myself with such words as, "My name is Andrew. As in hurricane."
jespah

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2011 05:43 am
@Lustig Andrei,
You remain magnficent, storm or no storm.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2011 11:35 pm
@jespah,
jespah wrote:

You remain magnficent, storm or no storm.

Why, thank you kindly, dear lady.
0 Replies