70 days and no end in sight

chai2

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2011 12:34 pm
This is the 70th day in a row of temperatures over 100 degrees in Austin.

I'm hot, and not in the good way.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 1,382 • Replies: 13

Ragman

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2011 12:38 pm
@chai2,
How much out of the normal range is that for you guys? Give us a reference point.

Oops..I found it. It says you guys average 100 deg F for 12 days in a typical summer.
DrewDad

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2011 12:50 pm
@Ragman,
I think we've officially reached the hottest summer on record (since 1854).
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2011 12:56 pm
@Ragman,
Acutally, I mispoke, we've had 27 days of 100 plus in a row, 70 days total this year of 100 plus. It's breaking a record set in 1925.

Mid July through mid September are the hottest months.

I park my car in the shade of huge live oaks, but every day driving home, the temperature read anywher from 102 to 104, 105.
Mid 90's are fine. Tha feels plenty warm, but far from unbearable.

When it's only 90, it's great.

The worst part is that we've had no rain in sooooo long.
Everything is baking and dying in the heat and sun.

chai2

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2011 01:00 pm
When I go to the pool, I fill up a gallon jug with water. I use a little bit to wet my hair before going in the chlorinated pool, and the rest of it I give to one of 3 small trees growing in the parking lot.

Maybe people should make it a habit to bring a gallon on water with them when they go out, and water a random tree or bush with it. Could make a big difference for the plant.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2011 01:19 pm
@chai2,
I hear you. It's not as hot here, and dryer, so I don't have as much to whine about. On the other hand, I've only a swamp cooler, and use it fairly sparely. This leaves me unusually crabby, as an already crabby person, but never mind me. We've had very little rain, and what we have had is scattered, sometimes only the odd drops visible for a few seconds on the pavement.

I water in a weird way for someone who used to do tons of irrigation design... who has the makings for an underground system in her garage. We also have a serious weed problem here once we get a smidge of water - something that seems like just minutes later, the goathead spikes germinate and then go crazy. So.. how I water is pour water directly to the bottom of the plant (I make shallow wells around them) from ... yes ... a 1/2 gallon milk bottle. This is highly boring as a procedure. I could put in a drip system, but I project that it would clog in my yard of near pure sand. I could put in a stream bubbler (turned to lowest delivery) system based on underground piping, but I'm too lazy presently. Plus of course it's too hot, to me.

Anyway, yes, too damned warm from mid July to mid September.
roger

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2011 03:09 pm
@ossobuco,
Yeah. Two hundred miles from you, the goatheads typically sprout on Memorial Day. This year, it was the first week in August. They have since spread to cover several square feet each and are loaded with with flowers and seeds. Except in my dinky little yard. They respond well to both Roundup and shovels.

Too dry for goatheads. <shakes head> Still better than Texas, though.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2011 03:13 pm
This is Rick Perry's fault.

All this talk about abstinence dried mother nature up.
roger

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2011 03:34 pm
@chai2,
It really works, huh?
chai2

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2011 04:43 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

It really works, huh?

yes, it works. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2011 04:47 pm
yes, we may have broken a record in the longest heat wave..

but you know what?

those people in the early 1900's did it with no air conditioner.
THEY win the prize.. what ever it is
chai2

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2011 05:06 pm
@shewolfnm,
Just yesterday Wally and I were on the front porch, talking about that.

He said the same thing, not just about people in the 1900's, but the hundreds and hundreds of years people have been living here (or thousands)

I said "Can you imagine going into labor right now?"

It's beyond me.
I don't care how well ventilated tents/shelters were, or staying under shady trees....it's too HOT to be having a baby in this weather.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2011 07:50 am
@chai2,
We'll try to push the hurricane your direction - that might give you a bit of relief.
chai2

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2011 08:55 am
@Linkat,
gee thanks!

Actually, by the time it crosses all that land, we'll just get some good rain.
0 Replies