Earthquake in Boston!

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 01:53 pm
Quote:
Update 3:36 p.m. ET: Terminal A at Washington Reagan National Airport has been evacuated because of an odor
of gas, airport spokeswoman Courtney Mickalonis said. Initial sweeps of the building showed no major damage
from the earthquake.

Light structural damage has been reported in Culpepper and Orange counties in Virginia, said Laura Southard of
the state Emergency Operations Center. She said there have been no reports of injuries in Virginia, the state where
the earthquake was centered.

Update 3:28 p.m. ET: The White House and adjacent buildings evacuated as a precaution following the earthquake
have been given the all-clear, the U.S. Secret Service said. The FBI and Justice Department have also reopened
evacuated buildings.

Update 3:25 p.m. ET: East Coast residents should be prepared to feel aftershocks from Tuesday's
earthquake, a U.S. Geological Survey official said.

Update 3:22 p.m. ET: The North Anna nuclear power plant, which located 20 miles from the epicenter, is shut down
and in a safe condition, a company official and the Louisa County public information office report. There has been
no release of nuclear material, Louisa County spokeswoman Amanda Reidelbach said.

Update 3:04 p.m. ET: All national monuments and parks in Washington are "stable but closed" following Tuesday's
earthquake, a United States Park Police spokesman Sgt. David Schlosser said. A couple of minor injuries and some
minor structural damage have been reported in Washington, following Tuesday's earthquake, according to Schlosser.

Part of the central tower of the National Cathedral, the highest point in Washington, D.C., was damaged, according
to spokesman Richard Weinberg. "It looks like three of the pinnacles have broken off the central tower," Weinberg
told CNN.

Update 3:02 p.m. ET: Amtrak is reporting service disruptions between Washington and Baltimore because of the
earthquake, the company reported on Twitter.

Aftershocks are a concern, U.S. Geological Survey seismologist Lucy Jones told CNN. "People should be expecting
(them), especially over the next hour or two," she said.

The quake was felt in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; New York City and on Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts,
where President Barack Obama is vacationing. It's unknown if the president felt the quake.

The Pentagon has been evacuated, CNN's Barbara Starr reports. "When the building began shaking rather violently,
hundreds of people began streaming out," she said, because many people thought that the building was under attack.
Starr was standing in the Pentagon's press office when the roof started to shake.

Cell phone service has been disrupted in New York City, CNN learned within minutes of the quake.
(cnn)
Miller

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 02:02 pm
@Region Philbis,
Why don't they have some sort of warning system in Boston, when the quake starts to hit? Something like the sirens used in the air raids.

I like to have some sort of warning, so I won't enter an elevator and then get stuck.

Now on TV #7, we're being told to hold tight for aftershocks.

A major problem with Boston is the old age of the buildings and the red bricks that go flying when the quake hits.
Miller

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 02:05 pm
@Miller,
Part of Logan was shut down.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 02:22 pm
@Miller,
There have already been aftershocks.

Magnitude 2.8 - VIRGINIA
2011 August 23 18:46:50 UTC

Magnitude 2.8
Date-Time

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 at 18:46:50 UTC
Tuesday, August 23, 2011 at 02:46:50 PM at epicenter

Location 37.931°N, 77.935°W
Depth 0.1 km (~0.1 mile) (poorly constrained)
Region VIRGINIA
Distances

9 km (5 miles) SSW (195°) from Mineral, VA
12 km (7 miles) SSE (151°) from Louisa, VA
28 km (18 miles) NE (45°) from Columbia, VA
34 km (21 miles) E (88°) from Lake Monticello, VA
60 km (38 miles) NW (316°) from Richmond, VA
136 km (84 miles) SW (217°) from Washington, DC

-----------------------------------
Magnitude 2.2 - VIRGINIA
2011 August 23 19:20:26 UTC

Magnitude 2.2
Date-Time

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 at 19:20:26 UTC
Tuesday, August 23, 2011 at 03:20:26 PM at epicenter

Location 37.911°N, 78.004°W
Depth 0.1 km (~0.1 mile) (poorly constrained)
Region VIRGINIA
Distances

13 km (8 miles) S (181°) from Louisa, VA
13 km (8 miles) SW (218°) from Mineral, VA
22 km (14 miles) NE (38°) from Columbia, VA
28 km (18 miles) E (91°) from Lake Monticello, VA
63 km (39 miles) NW (311°) from Richmond, VA
141 km (88 miles) SW (218°) from Washington, DC
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 02:46 pm
Quote:
Firefighters raced to 111 Devonshire St. in the downtown area to investigate reports that the building
had started to lean after the tremor. But Deputy Fire Chief Richard DiBenedetto said that, according to
the building manager and city inspectors, the building always looked that way.
(boston.com)

http://pics3.city-data.com/businesses/p/9/6/7/9/5289679.JPG
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 03:02 pm
(Click the link to see embedded links to supporting sources for the article.)

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2011/08/23/virginia-nuclear-plant-had-quake-sensors-removed-due-to-budget-cuts/

Quake sensors removed around Virginia nuke plant due to budget cuts

By David Edwards
Tuesday, August 23rd, 2011 -- 3:52 pm

Tags: dominion virginia power, project on government oversight, virginia department of mines minerals and energy

A nuclear power plant that was shut down after an earthquake struck central Virginia Tuesday had seismographs removed in 1990s due to budget cuts.

U.S. nuclear officials said that the North Anna Power Station, which has two nuclear reactors, had lost offsite power and was using diesel generators to maintain cooling operations after an 5.9 earthquake hit the region.

The North Anna plant, which was near the epicenter of Tuesday's quake, is reportedly located on a fault line.

The U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission rates the plant as the seventh most likely to receive core damage from a quake. But they say the chances of that are only 1 in 22,727.

According to the Virginia Department of Mines, Minerals and Energy (DMME), the Virginia Tech Seismological Observatory (VTSO) removed all seismographs from around the plant in the 1990s due to budget cuts.

In February, Dominion Virginia Power confirmed its commitment to add a third reactor to the plant.

"While Dominion has not decided on the schedule to build the unit, the company will continue to move forward with the federal combined operating license process and preliminary site development work," Dominion CEO Thomas F. Farrell II said in a statement.

Update: Institute for Policy Studies (IPS) Senior Scholar Bob Alvarez told the Project on Government Oversight (POGO) that the North Anna plant was built to withstand a 5.9-6.1 quake.
jespah

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 03:07 pm
@Butrflynet,
Eek, that's unsettling.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 09:08 pm
Good series of photos here on the damage at the National Cathedral in DC.

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/national/2011/08/what-really-happened-national-cathedral-quake/41644/

Examples:

http://cdn.theatlanticwire.com/img/upload/2011/08/23/IMG_2427.JPG

http://cdn.theatlanticwire.com/img/upload/2011/08/23/IMG_2407_.JPG

http://cdn.theatlanticwire.com/img/upload/2011/08/23/IMG_2430.JPG

http://cdn.theatlanticwire.com/img/upload/2011/08/img_2409/large.jpg
Butrflynet

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 09:11 pm
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post_now/post/earthquake-reported-along-the-east-coast/2011/08/23/gIQAozdEZJ_blog.html

Quote:
The National Park Service says the Washington Monument may have suffered cracks near its top during Tuesday’s earthquake, and the monument could be closed indefinitely.

Park service spokesman Bill Line said there appear to be cracks “at the very, very top” of the 555-foot tall structure, and structural engineers were being brought in Wednesday to conduct a close inspection.

Meanwhile, the historic stone obelisk at the center of the Mall, south of the White House, will remain closed, and “could be closed for an indefinite period of time,” he said.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 10:19 pm
@Butrflynet,
Woo-ee!!! That looks like more than just "minor" damage.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2011 10:01 pm
Oh how the West Coasters are laughing at y'all East Coasters.
Ceili

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2011 10:15 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Why? Pretty freaking ignorant there Finn. Having another bad day eh!
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2011 01:09 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Oh how the West Coasters are laughing at y'all East Coasters.

That is certainly their Constitutional right. Btw, did you have a point to make, Finn?
Region Philbis

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2011 03:44 am
@Lustig Andrei,

i don't think there is a point.
it's just a comment -- one that i've made a few times myself the past few days.

it's akin to when southerners freak out over an inch of snow, while northerners routinely deal with blizzards...
Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2011 05:13 pm
@Region Philbis,
I know that, Rege. Finn just manages to rub me the wrong way.

Here in Hawaii I've experienced (and continue to experience) so many small quakes, most of the time I don't even notice them. Only way I know we had another tremor is because the pictures on the wall are all crooked for no good reason and a couple of books fell off a shelf. But I also remember living most of my life in Boston and elsewhere in the Northeast and know what a once-in-a-lifetime experience such a 'minor' quake as 5.9 can be.

Cheers!
Below viewing threshold (view)
MontereyJack

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2011 11:59 pm
Jees, Finn, what's happened to you? You used to provide rational (if, in my opinion, misguided) and acerbic commentary here. Lately you've just beenhurling invective. You haven't sunk to the H2OMan level until recently. Why change now?

Incidentally, left coasters, laugh off Irene. You guys get the earthquakes, we get the tropical storms and the blizzards. You guys are hopelessly incompetent at driving in real winter. I've seen a dozen drivers around Tucson spin out into the pecan groves in a quarter inch of snow, which they get every ten years or so. I'd say it's pretty much a wash on this issue.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2011 12:05 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
And you have a good day, too, Finn. Bless you.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2011 07:09 am
Jeepers, this is a weather topic, people!
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2011 09:31 pm
@jespah,
jespah wrote:

Jeepers, this is a weather topic, people!

How can you tell, j?
0 Replies