translate names from english/german to hebrew

alfredk

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 09:27 am
my grandfathers name is Wolf how do I translate that to hebrew.?
my fathers name was Bernhard I believe that translates to Baruch?
could someone verify please
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,479 • Replies: 3
No top replies

jespah

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 09:29 am
@alfredk,
My father is Bernard and his Hebrew name is Beresh although that may be more Yiddish. Not sure about Wolf (and I have a cousin with that name; perhaps I'll just ask him).
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 10:14 am
@alfredk,
I'm confused about which name you are trying to translate.

If you're looking for a translation or transliteration of Wolf, the Hebrew letters for a the animal wolf are this: זאב and the pronunciation is Zeev or Zev ( I think). However, read the following paragraph as the choice is of transliterated names is not rigid.

The translation of English or other languages names into Hebrew is not a cut-in-granite, formal sort of thing. Beresh or Baruch are both fine choices. Even and especially Binyamin is fine (Benjamin). Bernie and Benny are pretty much similar. It's his or your personal choice. However, but don't think it's a formal matter.
Ragman

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 03:30 pm
@Ragman,
Furthermore:

"Often parents choose Hebrew names that start with the same letter as the secular name. For instance, Blake's Hebrew name might be Boaz and Lindsey's might be Leah. Sometimes the secular name is an interpretation of the Hebrew name, like Jonah for Yonah and Eva for Chava. And sometimes there is no connection between the Hebrew and secular names; My parents gave me the English name of Lisa because they like it, and the Hebrew name of Sara in memory of my great-grandmother. "
0 Replies