can you hear a magnetic field?

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2011 01:50 pm
It was something i have being wondering for a while?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 2,317 • Replies: 6

rosborne979

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2011 02:04 pm
@toxicity234,
toxicity234 wrote:
can you hear a magnetic field?

We live within a magnetic field (earth's) all our lives, and we pass in/out of them all the time. And I don't hear anything.

Why do you ask, are you wondering about a particular situation or something?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2011 02:11 pm
@toxicity234,
Speakers use a magnetic field.

That just leaves us with arguing over whether you are hearing the magnetic field itself or the movement of something attached to the magnetic field so it isn't really the magnetic field you hear.
contrex

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2011 03:45 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:
That just leaves us with arguing over whether you are hearing the magnetic field itself or the movement of something attached to the magnetic field so it isn't really the magnetic field you hear.

Nothing to argue about. Simply put, loudspeakers have a coil of wire suspended in the field of a permanent magnet and attached to a paper or plastic membrane often cone or dome shaped, depending on the type of speaker. When a varying electric current is fed through the coil, a varying magnetic field is set up around the coil. This interacts with the permanent magnet's field causing back and forth movement of the coil. (This is how electric motors work) The speaker's cone is attached and therefore moves also. This creates sound waves which are perceived by the ears. Ears can only perceive sound waves. Nothing else. You are no more "hearing" magnetic fields than you are "seeing" radio waves when you watch TV.
parados

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2011 07:43 pm
@contrex,
But you aren't hearing the speakers, you are only hearing the air movement.
But you aren't hearing the air movement, you are only hearing the parts of your ear moving.
But you aren't hearing the parts of your ear moving, you are only hearing the electrical impulses created by those parts moving.

It's a philosophical question.

If a magnetic field moves something in the forest does anyone hear it?
rosborne979

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 04:06 am
@parados,
Philosophy can obscure even the simplest of answers.
0 Replies

simon155

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2015 06:04 am
May be related. I had a brain scan a while back. Don't know for sure if it was magnetic fields I responded to, but I can confirm an irritating sensation in one ear, like someone crinkling a crisp wrapper in one ear during the scan. That said, I apparently have a genetic oddity that affects cellular bonding for some cell types. Who knows. May have the odd optical side effect too.
0 Replies