Get Over It: This Is Who Obama Is

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2011 09:13 am
Get Over It: This Is Who Obama Is
By James Warren
The Atlantic
Jul 27 2011

From his community organizing days to the Illinois State Senate, Barack Obama has always put pragmatic deal-making above ideology, even when it angered allies

As President Obama is pilloried by the left, including by bloggers and editorial writers, for supposedly selling them out during debt ceiling negotiations, a reality check is desperately needed.

Get over it, guys and gals, and remember whom you're fuming over: a deal-making community organizer.
Recognize this man? In a showdown with ideological enemies, he fashioned compromises which made some Democratic allies apoplectic. Republicans weren't happy, either, with what he wrought but grudgingly realized there were few alternatives.

Throughout he exhibited a preternatural calm, always seeking some common ground among disparate interests as if compromise was a goal in and of itself, not any diminution of principle as some Democrats thought.

Yes, that's our president, the man at the center of the improbable Debt Debate of 2011. But it was also State Senator Barack Obama a decade ago. The equally rancorous issue back then was the death penalty and the setting was the Illinois legislature. Not much about him has changed.

"His ideological inclinations are liberal but, as far as being a politician, he's about getting things done. He was always pragmatic and about getting things done," said Peter Baroni, a Republican attorney-law professor-lobbyist in Chicago who had a bird's eye view of Obama while serving as legal counsel to Republicans in the Illinois Senate and to its Judiciary Committee.

The death penalty was a big and tough matter in Illinois, especially amid mountainous evidence of men sitting on Death Row for crimes they did not commit. It was also a typical example of the Obama modus operandi during a period in which Illinois had at times the same sort of divided government he now faces on Capitol Hill.

Obama shepherded key proposed changes in the state's criminal law, including the sensitive matter of taping interrogations of homicide suspects, all the while having cozy late-night poker games with legislative buddies, including conservative Republicans. He wanted to pass a bill and, to do so, couldn't alienate too many Republicans and their law enforcement allies. Prosecutors and cops were dubious, if not downright opposed initially, to much of what he sought, notably the taping of interrogations to cut down on forced confessions and even alleged outright brutality by cops.

His ideological allies at the American Civil Liberties Union wanted the videotaping of all homicide interrogations of suspects and a blanket exclusionary rule. That meant that any evidence obtained from an interview that wasn't videotaped would be excluded. Prosecutors and cops said no.

After many dozens of meetings in which "the guy never broke a sweat," said Baroni, the end result was agreement to record interrogations, either by video or audio means. But the final deal had a litany of exceptions, including one allowing admission of a statement by a homicide suspect that wasn't recorded if it was voluntarily given. Those exceptions were the counterpart of today's proposed spending cuts driving some Democrats batty.

His M.O. was very much the same when it came to an important racial profiling bill he successfully steered, too. It required police to note the race of every driver they stop. They weren't happy but Obama got it through and, wouldn't you know, the percentage of African-Americans who are stopped has declined.

For sure, as now, he had a clear left-leaning ideology, at least in theory. But he was more committed to doing deals. Declaring his philosophical druthers did not deter him from taking what he could get, much in the fashion of the centrist Democratic impulses personified by Chicago political icons such as former longtime mayor Richard M. Daley and the late congressional power, former U.S. Rep. Dan Rostenkowski, a legendary chairman of the Ways and Means Committee.

Many Obama allies thought he'd sold them out on the death penalty. In retrospect, he had not. Perhaps more than any participant, he cold-bloodedly believed that his interrogation law would alter police behavior, while also protecting them from unfair charges of coercion in extracting confessions. Many participants did not see that long-term result as he did. All these years later, he's been proven correct. You don't hear grousing about it these days. It's worked.

Of course, he wasn't getting the microscopic attention he is as president. His issues didn't even attract much interest in Illinois and he was desperately grateful for whatever notice he received -- or even a returned phone call from a reporter.

There weren't reporters and columnists chiding him for any air of condescension, as the New York Times' David Brooks and others have done during his dueling with House Speaker John Boehner. Sitting in the Other America, out in the Heartland, I can't point to one conversation of late where such an image of scold has been mentioned.

Perhaps the Beltway media sharpies are smarter than the rest of us. For now, I'll rely on unscientific, anecdotal evidence to conclude that he'll come off as the adult in the room once this mess is resolved.

And, as you watch him, be reminded of his informative pre-law school days as a community organizer in Chicago. Recall how they inspired both Rudy Giuliani and Sarah Palin to openly mock the term "community organizer" at the 2008 Republican National Convention, with the former New York mayor unable to contain derisive giggling as he openly wondered what the term stood for.

Well, it stands for giving power to the powerless. But, for Obama, it also meant a strategic set of notions about finding mutual agreement among people with the most divergent of motivations, according to Obama mentors whom I know from back then and David Maraniss, the journalist-author now working on an Obama biography.

Then, as now, he was also about seeking resolutions, not just bashing the rich. It was intellectual empiricism and street-wise practicality all at play. It was about doing a deal and moving on.

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2011 03:27 pm
He gets things done all right. The Republicans ought to nominate him in 2012.
roger

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2011 03:29 pm
We know who he is. That is why he is going to run on anything except his record.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2011 03:31 pm
@roger,
You wish...

It's gotta be galling for you guys to know that he is in all likelihood going to win re-election. And even more galling that he is still quite popular, no matter how much mud has been slung against him.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2011 03:39 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Obama is quite possibly the worst Democratic president in the last 90 years. On the other hand, he is quite possibly the best Republican president in the last 50 years. So he's got that going for him. Which is nice.
H2O MAN

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2011 03:44 pm
http://a57.foxnews.com/www.foxnews.com/images/root_images/0/0/081211_obamacare_20110812_134446.jpg
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2011 03:48 pm
@roger,
You think he should run on his record, Roger? You may be right. Parading that you are a war criminal works just swell on many Americans. That could just cinch it for him.
failures art

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2011 04:05 pm
@joefromchicago,
I see wut you did thar.

A
R
T
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2011 04:39 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

edgarblythe wrote:

Obama is quite possibly the worst Democratic president in the last 90 years. On the other hand, he is quite possibly the best Republican president in the last 50 years. So he's got that going for him. Which is nice.

Clinton would share equal blame, in my book. For one, it was under him the News was allowed to fall under the control of a handful of people.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2011 04:55 pm
@JTT,
Hell no. He isn't going to win anything on his record. As Cyclo suggests, it's going to take some serious mud slinging. Blame Bush, blame S & P, blame teabaggers, blame circumstances beyond our control, blame Congress; that's the ticket.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2011 04:58 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Hell no. He isn't going to win anything on his record. As Cyclo suggests, it's going to take some serious mud slinging. Blame Bush, blame S & P, blame teabaggers, blame circumstances beyond our control, blame Congress; that's the ticket.

Where exactly did I suggest that? Laughing

You guys are getting pretty desperate here, it seems. Like I said before: it's as if you simply can't understand that his approval ratings have remained steady no matter how much bullshit your side has tried to pull.

Cycloptichorn
RABEL222

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2011 10:52 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
The reason for that is that even though he is a republican acting asshole the republican candidates are even bigger assholes. An actual liberal hasent had a president or a congress who did anything for them since Carter.
joefromchicago

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2011 11:33 pm
http://blogs.ajc.com/mike-luckovich/files/2011/08/mike08102011.jpg
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2011 11:46 pm
@RABEL222,
Rabel, did I ever tell you I love you?

(I suppose not, but now's the time)
RABEL222

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 09:11 am
@ossobuco,
One of those embarrassment emothings here. I dont know how to post them.
JPB

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 09:13 am
@RABEL222,
Click the "reply" button and then click on "Open BBCode Editor" above the reply window. You'll have a bunch of new options with Emoticons on the far right.
RABEL222

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 07:58 pm
@JPB,
Embarrassed This is what I get when I click on the embarrassed Emoticons. A little more help? I see when one posts it appears. Thanks.
0 Replies

Pamela Rosa

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 04:16 am
Quote:
AUGUST 9, 2011.
Is Obama Smart?
A case study in stupid is as stupid does

The aircraft was large, modern and considered among the world's safest. But that night it was flying straight into a huge thunderstorm. Turbulence was extreme, and airspeed indicators may not have been functioning properly. Worse, the pilots were incompetent. As the plane threatened to stall they panicked by pointing the nose up, losing speed when they ought to have done the opposite. It was all over in minutes.

Was this the fate of Flight 447, the Air France jet that plunged mysteriously into the Atlantic a couple of years ago? Could be. What I'm talking about here is the Obama presidency.

When it comes to piloting, Barack Obama seems to think he's the political equivalent of Charles Lindbergh, Chuck Yeager and—in a "Fly Me to the Moon" sort of way—Nat King Cole rolled into one. "I think I'm a better speech writer than my speech writers," he reportedly told an aide in 2008. "I know more about policies on any particular issue than my policy directors. And I'll tell you right now that I'm . . . a better political director than my political director."

On another occasion—at the 2004 Democratic convention—Mr. Obama explained to a Chicago Tribune reporter that "I'm LeBron, baby. I can play at this level. I got game."

Of course, it's tempting to be immodest when your admirers are so immodest about you. How many times have we heard it said that Mr. Obama is the smartest president ever? Even when he's criticized, his failures are usually chalked up to his supposed brilliance. Liberals say he's too cerebral for the Beltway rough-and-tumble; conservatives often seem to think his blunders, foreign and domestic, are all part of a cunning scheme to turn the U.S. into a combination of Finland, Cuba and Saudi Arabia.

I don't buy it. I just think the president isn't very bright.

Socrates taught that wisdom begins in the recognition of how little we know. Mr. Obama is perpetually intent on telling us how much he knows. Aristotle wrote that the type of intelligence most needed in politics is prudence, which in turn requires experience. Mr. Obama came to office with no experience. Plutarch warned that flattery "makes itself an obstacle and pestilence to great houses and great affairs." Today's White House, more so than any in memory, is stuffed with flatterers.

Much is made of the president's rhetorical gifts. This is the sort of thing that can be credited only by people who think that a command of English syntax is a mark of great intellectual distinction. Can anyone recall a memorable phrase from one of Mr. Obama's big speeches that didn't amount to cliché? As for the small speeches, such as the one we were kept waiting 50 minutes for yesterday, we get Triple-A bromides about America remaining a "Triple-A country." Which, when it comes to long-term sovereign debt, is precisely what we no longer are under Mr. Obama.

Then there is Mr. Obama as political tactician. He makes predictions that prove false. He makes promises he cannot honor. He raises expectations he cannot meet. He reneges on commitments made in private. He surrenders positions staked in public. He is absent from issues in which he has a duty to be involved. He is overbearing when he ought to be absent. At the height of the financial panic of 1907, Teddy Roosevelt, who had done much to bring the panic about by inveighing against big business, at least had the good sense to stick to his bear hunt and let J.P. Morgan sort things out. Not so this president, who puts a new twist on an old put-down: Every time he opens his mouth, he subtracts from the sum total of financial capital.

Then there's his habit of never trimming his sails, much less tacking to the prevailing wind. When Bill Clinton got hammered on health care, he reverted to centrist course and passed welfare reform. When it looked like the Iraq war was going to be lost, George Bush fired Don Rumsfeld and ordered the surge.

Mr. Obama, by contrast, appears to consider himself immune from error. Perhaps this explains why he has now doubled down on Heckuva Job Geithner. It also explains his insulting and politically inept habit of suggesting—whether the issue is health care, or Arab-Israeli peace, or change we can believe in at some point in God's good time—that the fault always lies in the failure of his audiences to listen attentively. It doesn't. In politics, a failure of communication is always the fault of the communicator.

Much of the media has spent the past decade obsessing about the malapropisms of George W. Bush, the ignorance of Sarah Palin, and perhaps soon the stupidity of Rick Perry. Nothing is so typical of middling minds than to harp on the intellectual deficiencies of the slightly less smart and considerably more successful.

But it takes actual smarts to understand that glibness and self-belief are not sufficient proof of genuine intelligence. Stupid is as stupid does, said the great philosopher Forrest Gump. The presidency of Barack Obama is a case study in stupid does.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424053111904140604576495932704234052.html?KEYWORDS=Is+Obama+Smart
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 01:43 pm
http://www.redplanetcartoons.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/1212009_subliminalman.gif
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2011 07:21 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
There is another similar article in Politico

Let Obama be Obama

I guess I didn't really pay attention to that side of Obama, I just mostly agreed with his positions and became disappointed when he didn't fight hard enough for them. (some not at all) Still like him better than any alternatives and still glad I didn't vote for Hillary.

Try to imagine today's political climate with the Clinton approach==someone has to be willing to bend. I don't get bending from Hillary. ("vast right wing conspiracy") Former President Clinton was more of a centrist in policies than Obama yet no one seems to remember. He reformed welfare and all kinds of things like that.

0 Replies