Moral Realism

JLNobody

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2011 05:50 pm
@Cyracuz,
I agree. Let me put it another way: the Universe and Mind have no size; they are (perhaps in different ways) boundless. In that sense at least they are equal. And the fact that the Universe requires everything in it to be what it is, and your mind cannot exist without the Universe, they are identities.
Cyracuz

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2011 02:21 am
@JLNobody,
I was watching a video about the mind and quantum physics. They made the rather simple observation that the brain exists in total darkness. It is encased in our skulls, and can only relate to sensory input that is delivered to it via nerves. In a way we can say that the mind does not contain direct information about the universe, only information about our senses and what they perceive.

And of all the information our senses get bombarded with every second we are consciously aware of only a fraction. Somewhere in the brain it gets winnowed down, and we only perceive what we are able to grasp, based on previous experience, expectation and intuitive capacity. I am reminded of Plato's story of the cave, though in a slightly different way than he himself intended.
JLNobody

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2011 12:18 pm
@Cyracuz,
Yes, by all means.
0 Replies